Needing Some Suggestions.

Warbones

When I first turn on my magellion meridian color...My location on the map is not correct. I'm sitting facing south and holding the gps in my lap. Turn it on and it shows the arrow ( me ) facing north...the street that I'm on which is to my left. or east as being to my right or to the west. Once I begin to move this corrects itself. And it's a little off on going to a cache that I know where it's at. Was telling me to that I was on the right side of the cache when actually I needed to go towards the right to get to it.

I don't remember it doing this before. Anything I need to be doing differently?

New batteries.

Map setup is Course up

North ref is true

I can't think of anything else You might need to know.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

I don't think you have a problem. I have a Etrex LegendC and when I open the GPS, it doesn't always point in the direction I'm facing unless I start moving. If your not moving, I don't think that a GPS knows the direction your facing. It will start computing when you start moving. As far as beeing a little off, how off is that. There is usely a 10 to 15 feet error margine (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less). You can't expect a GPS to bring the cache right under you feet. At least, mine doesn't and I'm sure its working properly. :laughing:

Edited by Nomade

ok, thanks a bunch. Had me worried. It's always been pretty accurate as far as right over the cache. I thought it odd that it showed me to the right of the cache when I actually needed to go to the left. I understand however what you're saying about there going to be some searching to do once I'm in the area.

Thanks again for your quick responses.

Warbones

ok, thanks a bunch. Had me worried. It's always been pretty accurate as far as right over the cache. I thought it odd that it showed me to the right of the cache when I actually needed to go to the left. I understand however what you're saying about there going to be some searching to do once I'm in the area.

Thanks again for your quick responses.

Warbones

Your welcome. As far as accuracy, I think reception as a lot to do. The better the reception, the more precise the GPS will be. On clear days or nights, I noticed that mine would get me closer then when it's very cloudy and I'm under heavy tree cover.

Just remember that that SOME GPSr's have a built -in electronic compass (for example, Magellan Meridian Platinum, Garmin 60cs). THOSE GPSr's WILL point to the cache when you are not moving (aassuming you are not in a bad magnetic place, like in your car). I find it very helpful. Some folks don't care. It's a matter of opinion / budget.