Guns:

1. The number of guns owned in Canada is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80

million)

2. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500

3. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the RCMP

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous

than gun owners.

Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors

before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld statistics on

lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical

attention. Then we would be in real trouble.

This may be a chain letter. The hospital death stats have also been attributed to U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services; the gun death stats to the FBI.

Break the Chain.

One of many sites with the figures.

How about turning things around a bit: intentional doctor deaths vs. intentional gun deaths.

I started out carrying my Glock 23 but after shooting my brother's Keltec P11 I ended up buying it from him and carry that now. I want to check out the Keltec P3AT the next time I go to the range. I carry every place I can legally do so.

Well, before this spins into the most obvious direction, I wanna know a couple things:

1. Why do you shoot your brother's Keltec? :D

2. Was it badly injured? :lol:

3. How does it feel about being with you after you shot it? :lol:

Now you may continue with the serious business of this thread. :D

"As Brian stated, this topic always brings up a good discussion." Well that's ONE person's intrepretation. I know one that is just as Good, let's open a discussion about religion, no? How about politics? No? Oh, ok then how about SEX? Surely there can be found some really Good discussions in there. Oh I know, let's do one about the appropriatness of certain types of caches being located in cemeteries. That one hasn't been cranked up for a week or two....has it? ;-) B):lol::D:D:D:lol::D

I have placed several caches in public hunting grounds so other hunters who geocache can find them as well. I live in an urban setting and do not carry unless I am hunting. I have been involved in some rather unique experiences but I never felt concerned because I did not have a firearm.

if you are serious take the time to read through the links - linkey and linkeylinkey

Doctors

1. The number of doctors in Canada is 700,000

2. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000

3. Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the Canadian Dept of Health & Human Services

Guns:

1. The number of guns owned in Canada is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80

million)

2. The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500

3. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the RCMP

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous

than gun owners.

Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors

before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld statistics on

lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical

attention. Then we would be in real trouble.

How can there be 80 million gun owners, if the population of Canada is only 32 million? :P

Edited by Thrasher22

I don't normally carry, while caching--just don't feel the need. But when I'm alone in an isolated area, especially if it is an area where I might run into mountain lions, or 2-legged varmits intent on harm, I've been known to pack. I've gotten some wary looks on the rare ocassions I've run into someone and they noticed a holster. :P

OK folks, let's get the tangent back on track. You are more than welcome to compare your hardware in off topic.

Thanks.

Let's see... the topic:

This may have been done before, but who carries when caching? I often carry my S&W 686 in .357 Mag, but we live in bear country, too. Anybody else?
OK folks, let's get the tangent back on track.  You are more than welcome to compare your hardware in off topic.

Thanks.

Let's see... the topic:

This may have been done before, but who carries when caching? I often carry my S&W 686 in .357 Mag, but we live in bear country, too. Anybody else?

Moose Mob:

I don't quite understand what you are getting at.

The OP asks..Who carries?...goes on to addd what he carries, and asks who lives in Bear country?

I submit that whoever answers these Questions are indeed on topic.

By the way I do Live in Bear country.

OK folks, let's get the tangent back on track.  You are more than welcome to compare your hardware in off topic.

Thanks.

Let's see... the topic:

Moose Mob:

I don't quite understand what you are getting at.

The OP asks..Who carries?...goes on to addd what he carries, and asks who lives in Bear country?

I submit that whoever answers these Questions are indeed on topic.

By the way I do Live in Bear country.

Valid question olbluesguy, this topic always seems to be volitile. It was showing signs of headed that way. It has gone on well for some time and I was trying to keep it that way. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Thanks all.

I agree, I think this is the longest one of these threads has gone on and remained a civil discussion, which is great.

Forgot to add, during summer months I may carry my customized Ruger 10/22 with me in the woods, more for plinking/squirrel hunting than protection.

The only way I'd encounter a bear in Wichita is if I accidentally key the coordinates wrong and end up in the Sedgwick County Zoo instead of Sedgwick County Park. In any case the zookeepers frown on zoo patrons shooting any of the animals regardless of how scary they look.

Black bears are known to roam into the southeastern corner of Kansas from Missouri and Arkansas, but none so far (to my knowledge) have made it as far as Wichita.

I think sling-shots are in order! Get one of those WristRocket ones and some big balls.

Of course you'd have to keep one loaded in the patch all the time and keep it pulled back if it is to be of any use, as self-defense situations usually arise rapidly, but think of the toned arms you'd have from holding it!

In the meantime, RIP 3-year-old Marquis and Adam

If you're going to own and carry keep it put up safe - neither young kids nor professional soldiers are immune to carelessness!

Merry Christmas!

Ed.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

My favorite caching rig is a Para-Ordnance Stealth Warthog .45 worn inside the belt. The first two rounds are CCI shotshells and the remaining 9 are Corbon POW' R BALL's. I feel very comfortable with this setup, but the most important thing about whatever you decide to carry, is to practice, practice, practice.!! Shoot often enough that it is as natural as pulling out your pen to sign a check.

Raider

I don't carry when caching here in Marietta, GA. But am taking a .454 Casull with me when I move to Juneau in May, Super Redhawk. If I'm in bear country, I'll pack, if not, I won't hassle with the extra weight. I have hiked my wife and I into a confrontation with a black bear when I was unarmed during the winter while hiking in Tennessee, I think my dog kept it from charging. I won't go into bear country unarmed again, but I respect everyone's right to make their own decisions about their own carcass.

I'm not sure if any women have replied, but YES I do carry when I'm out caching with my kids and my husband isn't with us. In Oklahoma we have concealed carry and I legally carry my pistol. I grew up in Mississippi so I'm used to killing snakes, etc. But there have been a couple of times I've gone with the kids and in the heat of the hunt gone farther off the beaten track than I meant to, and started feeling pretty uncomfortable. Or we started caching and oops it got to dark and where we parked isn't crowded anymore except for three drunk druggies. Never had to use it, but glad to have it with me. :lol:

I know I'm late, but thought I would add my input. Have carried a gun in the past, but not for a few years. After a recent run in with a couple of guy smoking pot near my truck (I was walking back after finding a cache), I'm going to start carrying again. As long as your legal, safe and responsible, I'm all for carrying.

Better to carry and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Concealed carry makes EVERYONE safer. It is that simple. I don't carry just for myself, but carry for the safety of others.

I carry a 9MM Taurus PT111.....

Edited by drur
This same topic is being discussed in the Off Topic forum.  Shouldn't the duplicate topic be closed or merged?

The Mods are afraid of the Geo Neo Gun Nuts. Just like in real life how the NRA pushes all the lawmakers around Capitol Hill. <_<

Haven't read the entire thread yet but this seems to have been the first inflamatory comment -- guess somebody had to be the frst to apply a derogatory "label" to folks eh?

I have yet to go caching; however, I am sure I will be packing as I always do. I have researched on packing.org to see which states and areas are off-limits and will not be caching in them when I finally find time to go on my first trip.

Glock 23 (.40 S&W) At all times.

Glock 30 (.45 ACP) most of the time (paired with the G23).

DSArms STA58TAC (7.62 x 51) When I am in the woods.

-- guess somebody had to be the frst to apply a derogatory "label" to folks eh?

Hey, if it walks like a duck, sounds like duck and smells like a duck ... And to think, I voted for you in the Hiking Staff giveaway contest. :P:anicute: Just kidding, I wasn't 'trying' to be derogatory ... I was mostly exagerating. :cool:

When caching in more remote areas, I may carry a Bersa .380 or a Taurus 941 .22 mag. My fear is wild dogs or coyotes. Otherwise, the heat stays home.

Yes, we came across some feral dogs once. Made me very nervous. Fortunately, they kept their distance and just as nervously watched as we passed.

I've often heard that feral dogs can get pretty scary. They are not afraid of humans and will hunt in packs.

Our weather pertty much precludes carrying anything of any significant size without serious printing. A Kel-Tec P-3AT in a pocket holster works pretty good. Still have to have largish pockets for even that though.

for the urban caches i carry a 9x18 makarov. nice ,light and concealable. woods caches nothing beats a colt gov model .45. my caching partner carries a sig saur .45acp. and my other pal carries a little s&w .357 loaded with +p .38s! this is vermont and we have some of the least restrictive gun laws around!!! god bless vermont!! and the nra! these weapons might help in case you see bigfoot as i have read in other threads!!! lol :anicute:

I've got a carry permit (have had it since I turned 21) and I sometimes carry for protection since I work in the city... but I don't think I've ever carried while caching. If I'm doing urban caches at night, which could be viewed as "suspicious" by law enforcement or others, I think carrying a gun (even with a permit) could cause an extra level of hassle I don't want to deal with if I was confronted. I typically don't cache in places where I'd feel unsafe. If I'm going out in the woods alone, sure, my S&W .357 revolver would probably be along for the ride. But on the urban ones I usually cache with someone, and the gun isn't part of my standard gear. I have gone on caching trips though, and the gun was along for protection, but it usually stayed in the car. When there's 4 people in my caching group, I figure the chance of harm coming to any one of us are pretty low. I certainly have no fear of guns or those who legally carry them. Like a GPS, flashlight or knife, they're just another tool to be used if necessary. I guess if I lived in a high-crime area I'd carry more often... but high-crime areas aren't where I choose to live, or cache.

Our weather pertty much precludes carrying anything of any significant size without serious printing. A Kel-Tec P-3AT in a pocket holster works pretty good. Still have to have largish pockets for even that though.

Keltec makes a pocket clip accessory

b74b7a1f-54b0-4ab5-a900-ab126c7cd760.jpg

Serious printing indeed!

It's my "American Express" (not valid at retail establishments- don't read too much into the pun)

If I'm doing urban caches at night, which could be viewed as "suspicious" by law enforcement or others, I think carrying a gun (even with a permit) could cause an extra level of hassle I don't want to deal with if I was confronted.

That's the beauty of being a law-abiding citizen with a CHL. Doesn't matter how "suspicious" you are, you are still within your rights.

I have been stopped by police once while legally carrying. The officer was very polite, asked if he could have the weapon while we talked, then returned the weapon to me (along with a warning to slow down). The whole thing couldn't have gone more smoothly.

So I don't understand where this whole discussion is comming from. It is your "RIGHT" to carry a weapon provided you have the proper permit or follow the local, state, federal laws.

Most states have a CWP(conceled weapons permit, see http://www.packing.org for all your carry info). So carry!! The idea of a "hidden" weapon is just that. it is hidden, nobody should know.

So carry if you want to carry, CARRY and if you don't, DON'T

Also. It looks like you have a Keltec 3AT or a p32 with the belt clip and one of those pager holsters. Good luck drawing and deploying it.

Don

peepsnet

Because I can!!!

GLOCKPERFECTION.jpg

Edited by peepsnet

We do a fair amount of caching in bear country. Never saw the need to carry a gun. We don't even actually own a gun.