Buying A Digital Camera

magellan315

I shoot with a Nikon Coolpix 8800 8mp., I paid $1000 for it, but thats when it first came out. I was going to get the D70 but the price of lenses scared me away. And with the 8800 I get the macro and zoom lens in one "10x 350mm", plus its ED coated just like the SLR lenses. Its an awesome camera, I have a ton of photos on my web page, Im just an amature so dont expect to be amazed, lol. I get 15 scene modes, Auto, manual, program auto, and more. My favorite part is the flip & twist LCD...I dont need to lay on the ground for ground level shots. And they are alot cheaper now that they have been out for awhile. I have 2 batteries and a 1Gb CF card, I can fill the card with one battery if the image quality is high...8meg Extra for my nature photography.

My mother uses the older Coolpix 2100 and the image quality is nearly as good but can cant make the 20x30+ inch prints that mine will, and not nearly as many options. It just depends on what you want it for...think ahead too, like maybe you will want to take family portraits later on, or special occasions where you will want a better camera. Any 2mp camera will take great snapshots, Kodak easy share cameras are a good choice, and Pentax Optio's are a great choice, small Nikon Coolpix, Canon Powershot...a few I would recomend looking at.

1. Decide what you will use it for...look to the future also 2. Then choose the camera that best suits your needs......If wasnt taking photography classes because I want to be a nature photographer, spending $1000 to take snapshots of caches or family picnics would of been pointless.

Sorry, I just love to talk about cameras and photography... to long? :lol:

The general consensus of everywhere I read about cameras is either get a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, give or take in that order. I own or have extensive use of 5 canon cameras (A75, A510, A520, S1 IS, and some EOS digital rebel). I've also owned 3 different Kodak cameras and used a sony camera quite a bit. My main camera is the A75, and I use it like crazy. I love it, simply a great point and shoot camera. My mom ended up geting the S1 IS for the high end zoom. She hates it cause it doesn't take the pictures she though it would (thought she could take portaits in low light from 150 feet away and have em turn out like studio sit down sessions). Since she doesn't use it much, I use it when I can. Very fun camera to use. Absolutly LOVE the zoom. its a little slow to focus on the far end of the zoom, but not terrible. The rebel was a bit beyond my skills with cameras, but was still very fun to play with. The 510 and 520 are pretty similar to my A75, but with a few extra little bells and whistles. Still all great camera.

As for the kodaks, I owned a DC3400, and two others. The 3400 froze on a regular basis to the point that I wondered if the camera was running windows ME (not seriously, but that was prone to freezing as well). When it worked, it took decent photos, but that was rare. It ate batteries, didn't focus, and was terribly slow for recycle rate. The others I owned were some higher end kodaks similar to the S1 IS. I used em for about 2 weeks each before taking them back. They had a big zoom, but had a huge problem with focusing throughout the entire focal range of the camera. When I did get a photo to focus, the colour balance always seemed off. I also ran into trouble with uploading the photos. My computer is a little goofy, but the kodaks reeked havoc on my computer when connecting.

I've used a sony cybershot (5mp of some model type), and that was nice. Took good photos and all. Only thing is I didn't like the feel of the camera. I couldn't get a good hold on it to keep it steady. Otherwise, liked the camera.

Good luck in finding a camera, but if nothing else, get a Canon, you wouldn't be disapointed.

The best camera is of no value if you don't have it with you. The larger cameras are great and I have them. But carrying them around in the woods is a drag so they'd stay at home. I wear a small 4M pixel 3x optical zoom point and shoot Canon in a belt holster and always have it with me. Don't even know its there until I need it. You can check out the images at my home page.

Here's a good web site to review all the mfr's and their models. Check out the forums too. Cameras.

Edited by Alan2
The best camera is of no value if you don't have it with you. The larger cameras are great and I have them. But carrying them around in the woods is a drag so they'd stay at home. I wear a small 4M pixel 3x optical zoom point and shoot Canon in a belt holster and always have it with me. Don't even know its there until I need it. You can check out the images at my home page.

Here's a good web site to review all the mfr's and their models. Check out the forums too. Cameras.

That's true! The larger cameras can be a little cumbersome to carry around (especially on a motorbike). I have a Fuji A210 point and shoot that I carry in my tankbag. Have gotten some great shots with it, shooting at the highest megapixel setting(you can always shrink the image in photoshop).

Go to your local community college and take a photography course!

That'll teach you the things that are important to your style of photography, and thereby lead you to purchase something that suits your need.

Many large camera shops have Saturday half-day workshops where you can learn the features and functions before making a buy.

My current camera is a Minolta Dimage Z1 - I have never had the training I recommend above and thus can't make heads or tails of all the many features, functions and settings this camera has!

I just leave it set to "Auto" mode and hope for the best - which reduces this fine $500. camera to the capability of a $79. point-and-shoot.

It's one of the most highly-rated cameras in its class but I can't take a decent pic with it!

I will be signing up for a class, since the manual on these high-capability cameras is useless unless you already know the concepts described...it assumes you know what stuff like focal point and white balance mean, and most of us do not.

Having had several high-dollar cameras, though, the one feature I STRONGLY recommend is anti-shake, a microprocessor-controlled function that eliminates blurry pics taken from a hand-held. Shake blurriness is almost impossible to eliminate without a tripod and remote trigger, especially when a long zoom is being used (my camera does not have this is how I know how important it is!)

Have fun,

Ed

I am sure I sound really :ph34r: tadpolish...

What does "SLR" actually stand for?

I hate to ask about acronyms, but even when I subscribed to a "great" beginner's photography magazine, they had no glossary for terms, acronyms or abbreviations. A Jewelry/beading magazine I receive has in every issue a glossary of terms, techniques and tools/uses, and it only takes up one page, and I assumed there would be something like that for my pictures.

I emailed the photography mag for a request of that, but they didn't even respond to me as "aren't you a sorry idiot!"

Needless to say I didn't renew that one...

I am sure I sound really :ph34r: tadpolish...

What does "SLR" actually stand for?

I hate to ask about acronyms, but even when I subscribed to a "great" beginner's photography magazine, they had no glossary for terms, acronyms or abbreviations. A Jewelry/beading magazine I receive has in every issue a glossary of terms, techniques and tools/uses, and it only takes up one page, and I assumed there would be something like that for my pictures.

I emailed the photography mag for a request of that, but they didn't even respond to me as "aren't you a sorry idiot!"

Needless to say I didn't renew that one...

Single Lens Reflex. More than you'll ever need to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex

:ph34r: After glancing through the thread, I figured I'd put in my $0.02. I'm a firm believer in a camera that uses AA batteries. Since I occasionally get to travel outside of the states, the thought of having an incompatible power source via the proprietary batteries found many cameras is unacceptable. The comment about a camera being no good, if it's not with you is also very good. I carry an older Cannon A40 in a pocket of my caching vest. It's only a 2 mega-pixel camera, but for taking pics while caching, it is adequate. Another thought might be the type of memory. The use of SD chips might be considered a benefit since that is the memory type supported by the Magellan GPSr, although the new Garmins are rumored to use something else.

Wow. :ph34r: You were right, lots of info.

My little Kodak, has options like nighttime, close-up and motion. It also has ability to accept other lenses, such as telephoto and wide angle. But it is simple to "point and shoot".

Pardon my confusion, but is SLR merely refering to the process inside the camera in taking the picture?

Thank you for your info and time to answer! :(

WOW. That was the most concise answer I have heard yet! Thank you!

My camera is pretty close to accurate for what you see in the viewfinder. There is a little bit of noticable discrepancy in close-ups (It does some REALLY pretty flowers and butterflies!) due to the lens being lower on the camera. Otherwise it takes a longer picture than the typical sizing, and I often have to crop the side of my photos.

I usually use the LCD on the back though, and it DOES drain the batteies, but I have both a backup re- and non-rechargeable for the long hauls.

Thank you all for the info...

Edited by Zzyzx Road