1/1/06 What Types Of Caches Are Being Archived?

OmniCitadel

The locationless or 'reverse' caches will be archived and locked (no more logging them)

Other non-phyisicals will be allowed to stay (for the time being at least), and will be 'grandfathered', but no new ones will be posted to gc.com.

Waymarking will be used for everything that has no container (virutals, earthcaches, etc). You'll still be able to go find these plaques, buildings, whatever and 'visit' them. It will be even be possiable for more than one people to log the same thing (unlike the old locationless which were only to be logged once, and the next person had to find another one somewhere else)

If you 'find' some waymarks you can log them. They will be recorded in your Waymarking profile. Looks like this.

But not on your geocaching profile (at least not currenty, its been suggested they get merged in, who knows if or when that may happen).

hope that helps

so what will happen with my 2 virtuals that i found will i lose credit for them?

No, your stats will not be affected.

1. Virtuals will not be archived or moved.

2. Even if they were (or if you had found some locationless caches) archived, all that does is stop people from logging them in the future. It does not change the logs of past.

Right. Only caches with the locationless_72.gif icon will be archived. Your stats will remain, but the pages will be locked to prevent continued logging.

virtual_72.gif & webcam_72.gif & earthcache_80.gif will stay and still be loggable as long as they're maintained.

virtual_72.gif & locationless_72.gif have morphed into homepage_menu_r1_c2.gif so if you haven't checked it out yet, find them here.

Sometimes pictures help. <_<

(cool pictures found here)

And when do they plan to start accepting/approving waymarks?  I drop by every now and again and the lead post still says they are working the bugs out and not yet accepting them.

You can go now to the Waymarking site and search for nearby existing homepage_menu_r1_c2.gifs to visit. Depending on where you live there might not be many as Waymarking is still new. You can also browse the Waymarking directory and find Waymarking categories where you can create new waymarks. Think of Waymarking categories as locationless_72.gif - find an example of something that meets the category requirements and post the location as new waymark. If you want to create a new webcam_72.gif or earthcache_80.gif there are Waymarking categories for these already. If you want to create a new virtual_72.gif you must first find a Waymarking category that it fits in and that allows you to create a waymark. There may not be a Waymarking category that it fits in yet. Think of that as having your virtual_72.gif turned down because it didn't meet the guidelines <_<

And when do they plan to start accepting/approving waymarks? I drop by every now and again and the lead post still says they are working the bugs out and not yet accepting them.

Are you talking about waymarks? or new catagories.

You can visit and log existing ones already. You can also submit new waymarks in existing catagories.

Not sure if they've figured out how to make setting up new catagories easy yet.

You can still look for and receive credit for the Grandfathered Virtuals. And the general consenus for Waymarks at the recent Cache Event was a pffffttttttttt. They are just a waste of time and energy and give you no reason to look for them.

If you're in it for the smiley face, then no. If you do this stuff to discover new and interesting places, that hasn't changed a bit.

You can still look for and receive credit for the Grandfathered Virtuals. And the general consenus for Waymarks at the recent Cache Event was a pffffttttttttt. They are just a waste of time and energy and give you no reason to look for them.

"Pffffttttttttt" sounds like the noise I made with some virts I found.

I like the new system, much better organized. Like Brian said, if you're in it for the smiley, then it's not for you. If you're in it for the fun, then it's great. There's also the problem with people not "getting" the Waymarking site.

You can still look for and receive credit for the Grandfathered Virtuals.  And the general consenus for Waymarks at the recent Cache Event was a pffffttttttttt.  They are just a waste of time and energy and give you no reason to look for them.

"Pffffttttttttt" sounds like the noise I made with some virts I found.

I like the new system, much better organized. Like Brian said, if you're in it for the smiley, then it's not for you. If you're in it for the fun, then it's great. There's also the problem with people not "getting" the Waymarking site.

If its better organized then why am I still waiting for approval and its been since Nov. 7 and all the requirements are completed. Its the category owners not the BETA thing that is the problem.

Why is it more difficult to create a waymark than log a waymark. It so organized even though you've had REAL caches where you want to list a waymark they ask you if you've been there and that is even when you give links to the existing cache. Do they think the pre existing cache just fell out of the dadgum sky.

Category owners don't seem to be able to understand the difference between placing a waymark and logging a waymark. They ask for a photo when you log a waymark, but no photo when you place (create) a waymark then they ask you where is the photo. I was just placing a waymark not logging a waymark so why do you want a photo.

Waymarks have a very long road ahead of them for them to replace a quality virtual. Its definately not fun just a lot of work for nothing. If I know of a place I'll go to it, if you want to find it well go but I won't waste my time telling you how to get there. Read a map and take a hike.

Okay, I am confused just a little...(and I apologize for the late inquiry here, I am trying to find my own answers to stuff, and since the search is still not working at this time...)

Virtuals will no longer be accepted? Or only as a Waypoint catagory?

I had intentions of submitting some virtuals in my area, only because they are really neat things to see. A virtual wouldn't need to be maintained quite the same way as the others, and it wouldn't require as much stealth.

Hmm? (remember you are dealing with a blonde here too...) :antenna:

You can still look for and receive credit for the Grandfathered Virtuals.  And the general consenus for Waymarks at the recent Cache Event was a pffffttttttttt.  They are just a waste of time and energy and give you no reason to look for them.

If you're in it for the smiley face, then no. If you do this stuff to discover new and interesting places, that hasn't changed a bit.

But what's the big harm in placing waymark finds on your cache stat's page so you only have one page to view your stats? I realize there will be lots of categories, but you only need one waymark entry on the stat's page; if you want to view the cacher's complete breakdown, then click on the waymark icon.

Will there be a link on a cache web page to view nearby waymarks?

These two features would greatly promote Waymarking.