Legend C Seal Repair

tronaminer

I have a legend C that is a great unit. Problem is, the rubber seal around the sides and end of the unit is releasing. I need to get it fixed. Can I do it myself or do I need to send it in to a repair shop. It looks like a 1/2 inch wide rubber band that goes around the whole unit and covers the side push buttons. Help anyone

Thanks for the quick replies.  I am not wanting to send this unit in, although it would be still under warrenty.  I too checked the search and was disabled, I wonder why.  If you come up with anymore help, send it my way.

Just found the thread I was talking about. Go to page 13 and look for the thread Etrex Legend Question (adhesive problem) It's way down on page 13.

Here are the answers: Clean the old adhesive off with alcohol; glue it back on carefully with standard RTV silicone rubber

I used the RTV silicone adhesive as well when this happened to my old Venture. Although, the tube I purchased was for sealing leaks in chimneys. Nonetheless, it worked great. The hardest part was getting the old adhesive off. YUCK!

Edited by Nomade

This is a common problem for the entire Etrex line. I have 2 in this line and both have this problem. When I first tried dealing with it I heard that Garmin was pretty generous with making the repair under warranty even if you were a bit out of warranty. But mine was too old and I used silicon bathtub sealer. It worked pretty well but you have to be careful not to use too much since that makes a serious mess. In my case the repair did not last as long as I wanted and I have to do it again. You should make sure not to break the seal of the plastic tape under the rubber. If that is broken, then I would be a bit hesitant to use silicone adhesive.

Ive had my Legend apart a couple of times to fix the "lines on the screen" problem. The last time I tore the rubber band at the top, right at the edge of the connector flap. I emailed Garmin to see if I could get a replacement band and the goo to repair it. They said those parts affect the waterproofing of the unit so they could not provide just the parts.

I had already tried hot glue and silicon caulk without much success, so this time I tried some stuff called BadgeMagic (www.badgemagic.com) that I had. It is essentially a very thin two-sided tape/goo that is used for attaching patches to uniforms.

Before cutting a piece the size of the band, I put a few small scraps at 3-4 points around the unit. To my surprise, the small pieces have held as well as the original goo. Even the piece I put "across" the tear is holding. Time will tell how well it works, but after a couple of outings it is holding up better than the other things I tried.