Argggh. City Select Missing A Disk.

Pasha

I bought City Select V6 via eBay at a pretty good price. Verified it had viable unlock codes and so forth. Finally received it today, but unfortunately the seller did not include the Setup disk, just the two Data disks. I'm hoping it was an oversight and have emailed to have him send the missing disk, but if it's not an oversight, or for whatever reason he can't send it to me, I guess I'm just screwed. Anyone have any ideas for getting this installed?

This always happens to me. It's always something. Nothing ever just works out, first time. I must've stepped on too many bugs as a child or laughed at my friend Carl too often in elementary school. It's karma for something I don't remember.

I bought City Select V6 via eBay at a pretty good price. Verified it had viable unlock codes and so forth. Finally received it today, but unfortunately the seller did not include the Setup disk, just the two Data disks. I'm hoping it was an oversight and have emailed to have him send the missing disk, but if it's not an oversight, or for whatever reason he can't send it to me, I guess I'm just screwed. Anyone have any ideas for getting this installed?

This always happens to me. It's always something. Nothing ever just works out, first time. I must've stepped on too many bugs as a child or laughed at my friend Carl too often in elementary school. It's karma for something I don't remember.

City Select 6 has only 2 disks. 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. There is no so called setup disk.

I checked my City Select Software V6. It had two data disks in the CD case and a loose setup disk (Version 3.0 City Select Setup). It was included in the City Select software box in the pocket of the setup guide. I also believe it is needed to installed version 6.0 of Mapsource. The software will initially prompt you for the setup disk.

I would contact the buyer and tell him the software should have come with a setup disk and would he check to see if he can locate it. (I've included a picture of what it looks like below). This will probably solve your problem, unfortunately you may have to wait a few days to use your software.

A picture of the software setup disc is pictured here:

http://webpages.charter.net/markh12001/MyPhotos/CD.jpg

Mark

Edited by markhp
I checked my City Select Software V6. It had two data disks in the trays and a loose setup disk (Version 3.0 City Select Setup) I believe it came in the box City Select software box in the pocket of the setup guide. I also believe it is needed to installed version 6.0 of Mapsource. It will initially prompt you for the setup disk.

I would contact the buyer and tell him the software should have come with a setup disk and would he check to see if he can locate it. This will probably solve your problem, unfortunately you may have to wait a few days to use your software.

Mark

I did the same thing before posting. I looked in my cd boxe of v6 and there are really 2 disks. Go figure.....One is identified 1 of 2 and the other one 2 of 2 and these are the only cd I used when installing CS6.

Edited by Nomade

Pasha,

Can you locate: "Setup.exe" on Disk #1.

What happens when you run (double-click) it?

There are some instructions in the setup guide for installing the software without a setup CD. I'm not sure if it's applicable to this software, however Nomade's response seems to indicate it may be.

Mark

Edited by markhp
Pasha,

Can you locate: "Setup.exe" on Disk #1.

What happens when you run (double-click) it?

There are some instructions in the setup guide for installing the software without a setup CD. I'm not sure if it's applicable to this software, however Nomade's response seems to indicate it may be.

Mark

Yep, I think that's the answer. I just looked at the files on disk 1 of 2 and there is a setup.exe

I did the same as Nomade - used just two disks, although I already had a previous version of MapSource (MetroGuide USA) installed.

Clicking on Setup.exe on "Disk 1 of 2" should start the installer (it did when I just tried it - and offered me the option to modify, repair or remove my current installation).

Running setup.exe on "Disc 1" starts the install, all right, but promptly returns an error message stating "Please start this data CD install from the setup CD". I've removed my older version of Mapsource (Roads & Rec from about 1999) completely, removed all registry entries, restarted, and tried it, and get the same error. It's definitely looking for a disk that I don't have.

As I said, already emailed the seller and hopefully he can find it and get it to me. I was just hoping someone would be able to say, "oh, no, just fiddle the snacklefratz and that'll do 'er!"

It's not crucial - I already have the older maps and such. It's just so aggravating; I don't want to wait another week.

Edit: also, just for giggles, I tried installing it on a couple of machines at the office, and got the same error. There's no setup.exe on Disc 2. Pretty definitely missing a disk.

Edited by Pasha
Ahhh, sweet relief. The seller did indeed forget the Setup disk and already shipped it out. Now I have to cross my fingers and hope it gets here before the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Still can't figure out why some of us don't need a setup disk for the same version. It's just a wild guess but I believe mapsource has to be installed prior to CS. So, would it be possible that the setup disk included with mapsource could have done the job?

Maybe some are updates, and some are "full" versions? (despite what might be on the labels). Most update versions require the "basic" softwaer to be there already.

Well as far as I know, the update only has one CD. At least when I got the update for CS7, there was only one disk in the box. As for CS6, when I bought it, I only had mapsource installed so I went to the store and asked for CS6 so I guess this was a full version.

Don't feel bad. Googling this same issue it appears that there are some versions that come with only two discs and don't have a separate Setup disc. My assumption is the same as yours and Klemmer et al - there are full versions and there are upgrades. In my case it didn't matter that I already had Mapsource installed, so I guess what I bought is the full version and not the upgrade.

When I bought my GPS V it was supposed to have City select v4 well v4 has the infamous setup disk. The person I purchased it from could not find the setup disk so I emailed Garmin customer support and through about ten different correspondences I finally convinced them to send me the setup disk.