In Praise Of Ammo Cans

Isonzo Karst

I recently placed a cache in a nifty location. When I first started caching, there was an ammo can hide there. It's been archived about a year and a half. I placed mine and the very first finder found not only my hide, but the original ammo can (somewhat displaced from its original locale). I offered to archive my hide in favor of the original, but the owner (no longer active) said no, and offered me that can, if I could find it. Find it I did. That area was massively underwater in the late summer of 04 and very wet, if not so flooded, again this summer. Can was absolutely dry inside.

We had one change position about 50 feet during a flood and still be completely dry inside when I finally found it.

We found one which had been through a forest fire and was destroyed. The heat had been enough to cause the logbook to burn inside of it and the expanding ?gasses? had burst out violently. Very cool to find but sad.

-J

Further proof that the Ammo can is nature's ideal cache container. You don't realize how good these are until you visit a cache where the owner didn't have the courtesy to deploy an Ammo can.

The Ammo can is the only proper cache container. All others are inferior and should be replaced. The cache reviewers should have this as one of their guidelines for approving a cache. Caches not deploying Ammo cans should simply no longer be approved. There should be a checkbox at the bottom of the cache listing when you submit it:

[] Do you agree to the TOU?

[] No, I mean it, do you *really* agree to the TOU?

[] Did you place this cache using an Ammo Can?

You'd have to check all three before your cache listing could be published.

;)

Further proof that the Ammo can is nature's ideal cache container.  You don't realize how good these are until you visit a cache where the owner didn't have the courtesy to deploy an Ammo can.

The Ammo can is the only proper cache container.  All others are inferior and should be replaced.  The cache reviewers should have this as one of their guidelines for approving a cache.  Caches not deploying Ammo cans should simply no longer be approved.  There should be a checkbox at the bottom of the cache listing when you submit it:

[] Do you agree to the TOU?

[] No, I mean it, do you *really* agree to the TOU?

[] Did you place this cache using an Ammo Can?

You'd have to check all three before your cache listing could be published. 

;)

I know you jest, but I dream of such a time...

Before I hid my cache, I tested my ammo can by spraying it with a pressure washer, accidentily dropping it onto a concrete pathway from our 20 ft high deck, and then finaly submerged it in a bathtub for a month (accidently left it there on vacation). It only had one scratch, wich I covered up with a nice shiny Official Geocache stiker.

Wow.

Greetings…

I like the 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans. I use them both. Any cache we have found in ammo cans have been in great shape. I cannot say much for the Tupperware caches (cracked, broken, chewed through or the covers are off).

I am sure you know this but I am going to list it here for those who may not know:

A simple dryer sheet (the cheaper the better) placed in your cache will help keep it smelling fresh and will keep it critter proof. (We put them in our storage containers at our Scout Camp).

Happy Holidays from the Flight Family.

Cheers,

ProfessorFlight

:);)<_<:):):):):D

Ammo cans are underrated. If they still have their seal in good shape they can last for a good long while under some varying and extreme conditions. One local cacher here in Delaware, Mike Ott, has a cache called "Islands In The Stream", GCG1ZP, and as the name implies it is on an island in a stream. The amazing thing is that its survived several floods, one an extreme one where it was under atleast 6-8 ft of angry water, its been frozen, snowed on and survived the heat as well. And, the little ammo can survives. The only thing, I can think of, that will ruin it will be the day the tree its strapped to by a cable washes away, then it will be a traveling cache.

LOL, I did a rappel off a 70 foot cliff to find an ammo can pinned in a crack about 25 feet down the cliff. When I opened it it hissed at me, the ammo can was pressurized from the mostiure vaporized in it, and the contents were damp to wet. So I guess it is the luck of the draw.

cheers

My ammo can caches have survived under many extreme circumstances. One was underwater for 2 months (broken canal). Another sits under 10 - 15 feet of snow for 9 months a year. Others in trees and open places , One got buried under 4 feet of mud in a landslide. All stay nice and dry and safe. Amazing things. Just check and clean the seal once in a while.

Bummer about ammo cans in Michigan, the DNR has decided that they don't like em and "ask" that they all are removed and no new ammo cans are used. Guess they want everything to be a clear container. I hate that rule......

On the other hand, NY state parks require an animial resistant container with a latching device on the lid, which means - ammo can!

A simple dryer sheet (the cheaper the better) placed in your cache will help keep it smelling fresh and will keep it critter proof. (We put them in our storage containers at our Scout Camp).

I LOVE ammo cans. Most of our caches are ammo cans. I wish that all regular sized caches were ammo cans

But you got me curious here:

How does a dryer sheet make my ammo can "critter proof?"

Other than maybe a bear, not many animals can get inside an ammo can. And the smell of a dryer sheet simply isn't nasty enough to drive away animals. In fact, I would guess some animals might even be attracted to it. Are you talking about insects? A dryer sheet won't drive them away. You need something like mothballs for that.

But you got me curious here:

How does a dryer sheet make my ammo can "critter proof?"

oops!

I should have included the words Tupperware Container in there.

We put them in our Tupperware trunks at camp to keep critters out. They work great for mice, squirrels, chipmunks and other chewing critters.

As far as Bigger Critters – we use mothballs.

And for BIG Critters – we let them take anything they want.

Happy Holidays.

Ypu mean to tell me that people still use ammo cans? I thought that the only caches hid were micros anymore. Huh, must just be here in Dallas.

And they say everythings bigger in Texas.

:lol:

Okay, I have found a couple of ammo cans here in Texas, but nothing like the number of ones out in the Nevada desert. Heck, if a cache can sit out in that desert for years and be fine, that says something for the durability of an ammo can.

Speaking of ammo cans, I just got one as a Christmas gift from a fellow cacher, complete with log book, travel bugs, trade swag, info sheet and cache sticker. How cool is that?! :D

LOL, I did a rappel off a 70 foot cliff to find an ammo can pinned in a crack about 25 feet down the cliff.  When I opened it it hissed at me, the ammo can was pressurized from the mostiure vaporized in it, and the contents were damp to wet.  So I guess it is the luck of the draw.

cheers

WHERE?

WHY?

<-Acrophobic

<--- no acrobat, here, either.

Bummer about ammo cans in Michigan, the DNR has decided that they don't like em and "ask" that they all are removed and no new ammo cans are used. Guess they want everything to be a clear container. I hate that rule......

I guess the alternative is BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

LOL, I did a rappel off a 70 foot cliff to find an ammo can pinned in a crack about 25 feet down the cliff.  When I opened it it hissed at me, the ammo can was pressurized from the mostiure vaporized in it, and the contents were damp to wet.  So I guess it is the luck of the draw.

cheers

WHERE?

WHY?

<-Acrophobic

Why? Because its fun! I'd love to do a cache like that, and at one point was in the planning stages to hide a cache like that. Unforunatly, I had to nix that plan as I moved.

Back on the subject of ammo cans, one of my desert caches has been active from over three years now, and is doing great.

Heres a picture of it, and the location:

712717_200.JPG

I have seen this type of ammo can at my local surplus yard, and wondered how well they stood up to the elements. I may have to buy some now. I like that paint scheme.

Back on the subject of ammo cans, one of my desert caches has been active from over three years now, and is doing great.

Heres a picture of it, and the location:

712717_200.JPG

I have seen this type of ammo can at my local surplus yard, and wondered how well they stood up to the elements. I may have to buy some now. I like that paint scheme.

Thanks!

I've seen a few of those style ammo cans out in the desert, and they all seem to hold up great. i don't know if they're as water resistant as the metal ones, but based off of the seals I'd think they would be.

Plus, even though it is the desert, there can be some heavy rain, and there has been no water in that cache yet <knock on wood>

As I have stated elsewhere, ammo cans should *not* be used for urban or suburban hides. Their appearance is very threatening. Earlier this year I was caching in Modesto and found an ammo can stuck in some landscaping next to a power substation. THAT was smart. I emailed the owner and he reworked the cache. They had just had an incident where the police were called out because of cammo'd tupperware next to a school, and he didn't want to go down that same road.

Also, as i have stated in my local forums, some of the oldest caches I've ever found have been plain white-capped rubbermaid. Indeed, the oldest surviving geocache (GC8) is rubbermaid. Don't knock it.