My "el Diablo" Hiking Staff

teepeeayy

Just after I joined these forums, I saw a post from El Diablo with instructions for creating a hiking staff. What a neat idea! So I got some help from a cacher in Mass. who sent me a couple of fresh hickory cuttings. I left them to cure until early fall. I did get some cracking at both ends, but it wasn't significant, and I had plenty to work with. In El Diablo's and other's instructions, they say to coat both ends in parafin to prevent the cracking. El Diablo also says to peel the bark while its still green. I waited and sanded it off by hand.

I experimented with carving everything by hand, but the hickory is so hard, it didn't take the knife well. So I resorted to a $20 ingraver. I went on line for a font, traced and cut out the letters, and used stiff paper as a guide. I searched the web for a Celtic cross and shamrock I liked too. I sanded and sanded, then stained (2 coats), and then covered with 3 coats of polyurethane. What do you think of the results?

stick9994xm.jpg

stick9989sp.jpg

stick9979dg.jpg

stick9968aw.jpg

stick9950md.jpg

stick9945kw.jpg

stick9934qj.jpg

My stick hangs on the wall in my living room when not in use. I have carved it, by hand, no cheating, painted in the spirit I carved on it, and it has furs, leather, bone, and a bobcat tail on it. It is an Aspen cut by hand with a bowsaw from Colorado. It's about 20 years old now and only goes out for special trips like this one to Denali back country now. Oh it also has a Denali medallion on it.

IMG00040.jpg

Edited by 1stimestar

I've never been one to keep a hiking staff, I usually just find something out there and leave it on my way out.

However, for five years I worked for the boy scouts at a summer camp, and saw some very interesting staffs, and these rank right up there with them. Probably the most interesting one I ever saw had (among other things) the couple's wedding vows burned into it. Both husband and wife had the vows on their staffs (although I only saw the one), and he said they gave them to each other for one of their anniversaries.

It is waaaaayyyyy too pretty to actually use as a walking staff. I mean, what would you do if it got like uh..................DIRTY?!! If that was mine, I'd hang it on the wall in my den and get me some cheapo POC to get all muddy and icky and stuff.

Oh, I have and plan to use it. I'm hoping to wear it down, but 3 coats of poly should protect it for a long time.

My stick hangs on the wall in my living room when not in use. I have carved it, by hand, no cheating, painted in the spirit I carved on it, and it has furs, leather, bone, and a bobcat tail on it. It is an Aspen cut by hand with a bowsaw from Colorado. It's about 20 years old now and only goes out for special trips like this one to Denali back country now. Oh it also has a Denali medallion on it.

I've seen yours before posted here, and I had it in mind too. I hope to add medallions, tails, shrunken heads, or anything else of interest.

Engraved, huh?

It looks wood burned

I looked at many on the web that had wood burned art, but I'm not artistic at all, and wood burning looked too hard based on the research I did. I simply used an inexpensive Ryobi engraver I picked up at Home Depot, and a couple of different size bits based on how thick I wanted the lines. The stain getting into the engraved parts is what makes it look like that. I painted the colors with an acrylic paint. Keep in mind: less is more with colors. I watered them down big time. Then put the poly on.

teepeeayy, I think you may have the skill to sell those things.

I don't think so. It took hours and hours! Plus getting a hold of hickory like that would be a challenge. I've thought about it, but I think I'll let El Diablo maintain the corner on that market. I would consider another as a labor of love at this point, it was way harder than I thought it would be.

By the way, he wouldn't plug it, but here is his web site.

Edited by teepeeayy

teepeeayy, I think you may have the skill to sell those things.

I don't think so. It took hours and hours! Plus getting a hold of hickory like that would be a challenge. I've thought about it, but I think I'll let El Diablo maintain the corner on that market. I would consider another as a labor of love at this point, it was way harder than I thought it would be.

By the way, he wouldn't plug it, but here is his web site.

Creating a staff for money takes the work to a different level. I much prefer to create them out of the labor of love, than sell, which is why I give the majority that I create away. When you accept money for a staff you are obligated to produce a certain quality in a given time frame.

I learned a long time ago that you can't just go sit down and create art work. You have to be in the right mood or you do sub quality work. Explain that to someone who paid you to be artistic in a certain time frame. There have been many times that when pushed I just refund the money.

Create them for family and friends and you will get a lot of joy and personal satisfaction. Give them away in the forums...they love that!

Thanks for the plug to my web site. I keep trying to retire but people won't let me. I'm too softhearted.

Once again you did a great job!

El Diablo

I understand what you say, el diablo. Art is art, whether it is produced for your own enjoyment or for others. Some artists find, however, that appreciation from others can take a decidedly fiduciary turn.

I'm a writer. I take existing words and arrange them in a pleasing sequence. That's art. It's also profitable. I get tremendous enjoyment from doing it - but I also get pleasure from cashing (not caching) checks.

Whether it's a hiking staff, a short story or a carving, if you make it good enough, they will flock to it. With grasping hands and open wallets!

dragon.jpg

This was done with inlace, an epoxy compound used by woodturners. Fussy to carve the lines in deep enough to take the stuff, but very nice results.

burglers2.jpg

I like dragons - they have hoards, ya know!

I like to mix media as well - here's one with a celtic button I embeded into it.

celtic.jpg

Oh, and I put the shiney fake gems in my geostaffs with the geo colors in a square. You can see it on that one staff - it's the rampant dragon one. I twisted it by wrapping a rope around a hickory sapling for a few years, then cutting and drying it.

Edited by ATMouse

Those things don't just grow on trees you know....umm...I guess they do. :)

Anyways you are only the second person in almost 4 years that has managed to break one.

I'm currently working on a concept to make a staff that breaks down into 2 halves. If you want to send me your's I'll give it a shot and if I can't make it work I'll replace it.

El Diablo

Nice staff. As a Scout Master I often made a new staff during each trek. So my collection has memories of numerous outings. My favorite was actually crafted for me by a beaver. Is is an Aspen from the Continental Divide in Colo. that was just the right size and taper and completely de-barked with all the teeth marks still on it. Can't bring myself to carve or modify it. My latest two staffs came about because my wife likes to pick up trash as we hike. So, I cut the end off of our Ash staffs and put a 5" spike in them made out of quarter inch thick steel rods sharpened to a point.

The idea of a two part staff is interesting. Maybe something like a pool cue?? I will have to think about doing that since I have a small machine shop in the garage and like to play with my "toys".

So my collection has memories of numerous outings.  My favorite was actually crafted for me by a beaver.  Is is an Aspen from the Continental Divide in Colo. that was just the right size and taper and completely de-barked with all the teeth marks still on it.  Can't bring myself to carve or modify it.

Yes, the memory one - you can read the date, Oct '99 - was actually spalted like that - stained from top to bottom. I only burned on the date, trail name and location. It is one of my favorites. I could not improve on what nature had done.

I put either copper pipe fittings or rubber crutch / footie things you buy in the hardware store on the bottom of mine. I did get a european-style spike thing. It was okay, but freaked my husband out, so I don't do that anymore.

I use a variety of finishes - polyurethane, varnish or just layers and layers of wax, buffed and polished.

I am facinated by el Diablo's work - I've never attempted the style he uses. I'd like to try.

And a pool cue sort of break down stick...would it change the balance?

And when you start with a stick, do you put thick side down or up? I like up, mostly, tho' I've done whatever the stick felt like......

Just after I joined these forums, I saw a post from El Diablo with instructions for creating a hiking staff. What a neat idea! So I got some help from a cacher in Mass. who sent me a couple of fresh hickory cuttings.

I'd be very tempted to make my own stick (most pre-made sticks are too short to suit me) but I don't have any idea where to get the "blank" to make it from. I don't know of any places in this area where I could get a suitable stick to start with.

Thrak, I'm in the process of making a few right now. I'm using Manzanita I cut up by the Jordan Hill cache. Manzanita is a good hard wood and usually has really neat Knarls etc in it. The hard part is finding a branch that is long enough and straight enough. I'm just waiting to get them dried out enough so I can start working on them. :)

Just after I joined these forums, I saw a post from El Diablo with instructions for creating a hiking staff. What a neat idea! So I got some help from a cacher in Mass. who sent me a couple of fresh hickory cuttings.

I'd be very tempted to make my own stick (most pre-made sticks are too short to suit me) but I don't have any idea where to get the "blank" to make it from. I don't know of any places in this area where I could get a suitable stick to start with.

Go to...

Treeline USA

They have walking stick blanks and materials. Read about this site in one of El Diablo's articles. :)

And a pool cue sort of break down stick...would it change the balance?

And when you start with a stick, do you put thick side down or up? I like up, mostly, tho' I've done whatever the stick felt like......

Not for sure on the balance. I haven't tried to create one yet. I'm still trying to find the right way of doing it. So if anyone has suggestions let me know.

I keep the thick end up. My staff's are typically 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter at the top and taper down to 1 to 1 1/2 towards the tip.

El Diablo

Go to...

Treeline USA

They have walking stick blanks and materials. Read about this site in one of El Diablo's articles. :unsure:

These have the same issue as the stick I already have. I have a Wilderness Walker stick - it's nice but....... it's too dadgum short! The blanks listed on the page you linked are from 57" - 59". All the sticks I've seen for sale are similar lengths. Fine if you're short. I'm not exceptionally tall - 6'2" - but these seem too short to me. My 59" stick means I have to grasp it at the very top of the stick to be able to use it. I'd much prefer a stick in the 66" - 68" range. At that length I could have a grip on it (much like the one the OP shows on his stick) that wasn't at the very top end of the stick.

Perhaps I'll look into manzanita as suggested by Blucruz. Finding a reasonably straight stick of manzanita in that length and in an appropriate width may be a problem though but I believe that Blucruz is taller than I am - something like 6'3" or maybe more - so if he's found some for him they must be in the area.

[Edit] GAH - just looked up that Jordan Hill cache Blucruz mentioned. I remember what a loooooong slow, bumpy drive it was up that road to there!

Edited by Thrak
I'm fairly new to woodburning, but I love your owl... How did you do that? The detail is great.

I copied a woodburning pattern from a book and made it small on a copying machine. I taped it to a bit of carbon paper and taped it all to the stick. After I traced it on (it never comes out perfect, you know, but use the smallest tipped pen you can so you can get most of the lines in) I used a Cub woodburner with a razor tip.

As for the detail, spend time with a bit of scrap wood, checking the temperature of your tip. I took my glasses off for some of it (without them, my focus point is about 1" from the object I am looking at - blind as a bat w/o glasses) and made sure I didn't set my eyelashes on fire! (No joke!) I kept checking with a larger copy to make sure I was being true to the original.

I'd love to say I drew it, but I didn't! :(

But it looks so cool! :unsure:

To join the two halves of the walking stick you might use a hanger bolt and threaded insert. The hanger bolt has wood screw threads on one end and machine threads on the other. Turn the wood threaded end into a pilot hole in one half of the stick. The threaded insert has wood threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside. You turn it into a pilot hole in the second half of the stick. Make sure to bore the hole deep enough to accept the length of the machine threaded end of the hanger bolt. Simply turn the two halves together.

Bag o'Tricks

My, sniff, original, sniff, el Diablo stick .. when I fell and hurt my ankle .. sniff, snapped in half. I am hoping to replace it someday .. is El Diablo taking orders again?

If you don't take Mr Diablo up on his offer...Gorilla Glue works wonders on wooden parts. It will mend it as good as new. I have broken a few hiking sticks and Gorilla Glue and a good clamp do the trick.

To join the two halves of the walking stick you might use a hanger bolt and threaded insert.  The hanger bolt has wood screw threads on one end and machine threads on the other.  Turn the wood threaded end into a pilot hole in one half of the stick.  The threaded insert has wood threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside.  You turn it into a pilot hole in the second half of the stick.  Make sure to bore the hole deep enough to accept the length of the machine threaded end of the hanger bolt.  Simply turn the two halves together.

Bag o'Tricks

Yeah, but it hard to keep the alignment true - I've tried similar stuff.

'Course we don't have tons of equipment....

Edited by ATMouse

Someone asked about the engraver I used. I went to Home Depot and bought a Dremel model 290-01 engraver. It was about $20. It vibrates, doesn't spin like a Dremel roto-type tool does. I have one of those as well but it gave me less control than the vibrating engraver. If you look closely around my shamrock, you can see how the rotating dremel cut, versus the outline of the letters which the vibrating engraver was used for.

I wish I had a source for more blanks. I've sent the cacher in Mass. a note asking for more but haven't heard back. Mine is also very tall, I'm 6'3'' and it goes to ear level. I think I said this earlier, but I used a "bumber" that goes on the legs of wood chairs, a local hardware purchase.

I considered wood burning, a google search yields tons of helpful web sites. I simply do not have an artistic touch, so I opted not to burn. I love the owl above. It was tough enough tracing the outline of the letters while lining them up straight.

Someone asked about the engraver I used. I went to Home Depot and bought a Dremel model 290-01 engraver. It was about $20. It vibrates, doesn't spin like a Dremel roto-type tool does. I have one of those as well but it gave me less control than the vibrating engraver. If you look closely around my shamrock, you can see how the rotating dremel cut, versus the outline of the letters which the vibrating engraver was used for.

I may have been one of the people who mentioned the engraver. I have a Dremel tool and sometimes I have all I can to get it to do what I want. I use itty-bitty bits and get 'way too close to the work and my wrists and hand ache after working for a while, 'cause I have to grip it so tightly. When I begin a pattern for the inlace, I have to start really slowly (all caching partners may now laugh) and then go over the lines carefully to keep it from jumping. I may check out an engraver.

I may have been one of the people who mentioned the engraver. I have a Dremel tool and sometimes I have all I can to get it to do what I want. I use itty-bitty bits and get 'way too close to the work and my wrists and hand ache after working for a while, 'cause I have to grip it so tightly. When I begin a pattern for the inlace, I have to start really slowly (all caching partners may now laugh) and then go over the lines carefully to keep it from jumping. I may check out an engraver.

I use the engraver a lot unless I'm working with very hard wood and then I use the Dremel tool. The trick with the Dremel is to use only a vairable speed one and use it at low speed. If you try it with a single speed you are flirting with disaster.

El Diablo

The trick with the Dremel is to use only a vairable speed one and use it at low speed. If you try it with a single speed you are flirting with disaster.

:(:(:unsure:

You are SO not kidding!

Even on low speeds, I've had jumping. A change of wood density, a small whorl of grain...well, all I can say is that I've had to stop and get a bandaid!

The trick with the Dremel is to use only a vairable speed one and use it at low speed. If you try it with a single speed you are flirting with disaster.

:(:(:unsure:

You are SO not kidding!

Even on low speeds, I've had jumping. A change of wood density, a small whorl of grain...well, all I can say is that I've had to stop and get a bandaid!

You might try going over the outline with the engraver and then use the Dremel to deepen the lines if you are working with very hard wood. The Dremel will always try to run with the grain so if you already have a groove it will follow that.

El Diablo

;):(:unsure:

You are SO not kidding!

You might try going over the outline with the engraver and then use the Dremel to deepen the lines if you are working with very hard wood. The Dremel will always try to run with the grain so if you already have a groove it will follow that.

:(

Are you sure you are not eavedropping in on my living room...? I just walked in and recounted this conversation with my husband and he said the same thing.

I wish I had a source for more blanks. I've sent the cacher in Mass. a note asking for more but haven't heard back. Mine is also very tall, I'm 6'3'' and it goes to ear level.

That is what I'm looking for. If you notice, the staff in the pic posted by 1stimestar is very tall compared to her body. The "normal" staves that are the "tall" ones only come up to my shoulder.

el Diablo, I was just looking at your sticks again - gee, sept1c tank..if you ever need a home for that one, I could find a spot for it... :antenna: - and did you have to get permission to use the Groundspeak square?

I'm sure this has been asked before and my little mind stirs, but nothing comes to the surface...

el Diablo, I was just looking at your sticks again - gee, sept1c tank..if you ever need a home for that one, I could find a spot for it... :D - and did you have to get permission to use the Groundspeak square?

I'm sure this has been asked before and my little mind stirs, but nothing comes to the surface...

If you read the logo usage guide lines found at the bottom of the main Geocaching page you will see that as long as you use it for private use and not for profit permisson is granted.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo