Adding Waypoints In A Category You Own

What about logging waypoints in a category you own?

For example --

I own "Town Clocks".

I proposed this category as there are quite a few in my hometown and I always look for these on vacation.

I have pictures and coordinates of quite a few that I gathered on my own prior to Waymarking.com and several afterward.

I have not added them to the Waymarking site as I own the category (I equated it with logging your own cache.)

But Waymarking is not geocaching and different rules/ideas/guidelines are applying to this game.

So do I log waymarks in my own category or not?

What about logging waypoints in a category you own?

Personally I would say----NO--

You might show a couple of local ones on your 'Waymarking Page' (or list some for others to find) but leave the category for others to fill.

If you submitted all of yours what incentive would there be for other local 'Cachers/Loggers' Once the 'Sites' are or have been open to the ?general public? and there has been no action on them, I would say 6 month to a year, I would definitely log my own 'whatever' finds.

So do I log waymarks in my own category or not?

I do if I am fulfilling one of the goals in the category. For example the dog park category I posted the dog park information then posted my own visit to that dog park. The photos are different as well as the experience.

I'm sure it will depend on the category. Visiting for now is more of a feedback tool for waymarks than a game. I do find it fun to log the occasional waymark I have visited if it is listed on the site.

I think you're bringing to much geocaching baggage to Waymarking. The geocaching "puritans" (I like this term better than "purist" - it sort of implies "we don't want you to have fun") would object if a locationless cache owner logged their own locationless. Though I don't see what is wrong with that - locationless weren't like other caches - even if you knew a few examples of your locationless when you created it you could still go out and find other examples. Also some locationless caches allowed for multiple logs. It seems that most category owners would allow multiple waymarks by one person as well.

When it comes to visiting your own waymark, the word here is visit. Unlike a virtual cache where the cache owner already knows the verification answer needed to claim a 'find', there is no find only a visit. Seems you can visit your own waymark and anyone can visit a waymark as many time as they like.

That said - there may be some categories and waymarks that are more like virtual caches. The category manager or waymark creator may want you to find something to verify your visit. That is why I've proposed a separate 'found it' log for those who want to play the game this way. It would apply only to waymarks that have special verification requirements. And the best part is that people that don't want to do the verification can still visit the waymark and log a 'visit' if they so choose.

I can undertsand why one wouldn't log their own cache in geocaching, but in Waymarking I think it's a little different. The fact that you merely manage the category shouldn't preclude you from logging waymarks. I presume one would like to manage a category that they're interested in - because they're interested in that category they might also want to find and log waymarks in it. Others can still log that location by way of a "visit".

I also like tozainamboku's recently proposed idea of a "Found it" selection where special information is required (sort of like a virtual).

Edited by Cedar Grove Seekers

Why shouldn't you submit Waymarks that meet the requirement of your Catagory?

It would be an excellent example of what you expect, and obviously you are interested in this type of Waymark.

The rules are totally different here... seed the Catagory I say.

If/When I own a Catagory.... I'll be sure to own specific listings within it.

;) The Blue Quasar

I think it's great that people can log waymarks in categories they own. Why not let them? They are obviously interested in the category or they wouldn't have agreed to become a category owner in the first place. This isn't like geocaching where is wouldn't be fair to be able to log in your own cache and rack up "visits."