Sheer Numbers...

klaus23

Apart from the Kennet and Avon canal series, which I've visited and completed over the past two Saturdays, and SP's Ridgeway Run, are there any other cache series in the south of England? (I'm in Bristol and don't want to drive all day, so that's excluding London, Kent, Norfolk etc.)

Cheers

Klaus23

Spend a long, busy day in (and around) Oxford. Just be careful where you park your car and observe all parking regulations as the wardens are like 'Raptors :blink:

There's the University Challenge series, Punters (by river) and a really good collection of others around the city.

Further away there's a 7mile walk with 10 caches - The Universally Challenged series, finding 9 planets and the sun on a lovely walk. It starts near Tring (which might be a bit far for you?)

SP

Spend a long, busy day in (and around) Oxford. Just be careful where you park your car and observe all parking regulations as the wardens are like 'Raptors :wub:

There's the University Challenge series, Punters (by river) and a really good collection of others around the city.

Further away there's a 7mile walk with 10 caches - The Universally Challenged series, finding 9 planets and the sun on a lovely walk. It starts near Tring (which might be a bit far for you?)

SP

:blink::ph34r: And you can do 45 in a day if can get out of bed early!! ;)

Hi Klaus,

It depends if you want sheer numbers, or a series? There is a great Dartmoor series of 11 called the Ten Tors challenge. You can do this in a day (if you are up for it like we were).

There is the Underworld series of 8 Underground caches in Devon which could be done in a day if you were lucky.

I can confirm that Oxford is ace for sheer numbers. Chesters Oxford Parks Quest, University Challenge Series, and the Banbury Run caches slghtly further north. Also in and around Oxford is the Never at Sea series, but I've not done any of those.

You could always get a fast train to London from Bristol and head off into the parks for a micro blitz. Choose a rubbish weather day and you'll find it easier due to less people and wet benches that people won't want to sit on!

You are well placed in Bristol for some serious number caching within an hour or two in many directions.

The Caerphilly Collection consists of 50 caches.

This cache is also the first of a subset along the Rhymney Valley Ridgeway Footpath

I spotted this on one of your cache pages - could you tell me if I am correct in thinking that # 1-14 are this subset? If so I'll try to pop over sometime this week.

There is a great Dartmoor series of 11 called the Ten Tors challenge. You can do this in a day (if you are up for it like we were).

I'm a step ahead - I've bought the map of Dartmoor, done the planning, made the arrangements and hope to do this one asap once the clocks go forward, probably in March sometime. At the moment the weather and daylight just aren't good enough.

My gf's cousin and husband live near Oxford - I had read previously about its cache density and look forward to visiting there sometime.

Although I have friends in Acton (London), I'm just not a big fan of urban micros and the like, and much more enjoy cycles or walks in the countryside - which is why the Kennet and Avon canal was so enjoyable for me.

Klaus

From CC14 Carefully Common (RVR14)

This is the fourteenth of a series, the “Carefully Collection”, that will explore the whole Borough Council area. This cache is also the fourteenth (and last) of a subset along the Rhymney Valley Ridgeway Footpath.

I have completed just over half of the CC series and it is highly recommended. If you are going to try and complete these 14 caches in one day then prepare adequately, start early and prepare for a long hard days caching that will be very rewarding.

Dave - The Gecko's

Yes the Caerphilly Collection Cache Series does take you along the Rhymney Valley Ridgeway Footpath. The subset 1 - 14 follows this route and the distance is about 64 kilometres, however some of the other CC Caches are located nearby so could be picked of as well!

You would need to get the maps out and do some planning if you want to take in all the nearby ones.

We did not set out to make these that easy to do - we want to encourage folk to explore the countryside of South wales

having recently done parts 1-7 of the underworld series, i'd highly recommend having a go at this set - interesting locations, a bit of hard work but well worth the effort!

except for the spiders though!!

Just don't eat too much food at Christmas! It's tight down some of them there 'oles!