New York Geocoin - Tracking Number & Icon Only

SharpShin'

Please don't bid a huge amount, because you'll just be wasting your money!

Crazy...just give the dam number away!

Side note- He is making over 5 bucks for a dam number!

Can they even do that? Don't TPTB have to approve items that get tracking numbers? So what happens when someone takes there advice and puts it on a New York quarter. Will it be disabled in a New York minute?

Ah, the power of bid retraction!

Somebody shy? :blink: Or did since get knocked into you? :ph34r:

After reading the bid retraction statement....the person got excited and bid without reading that the auction was not for the coin.

Happens to the best of us! :wub:

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys

Didn't I read somewhere recently that you could make a photocopy of your coin, laminate that and send it out in caches as the travelbug? That way it actually travels without the risk of being stolen.

Not sure what I think of a tracking number only sale on eBay, but I could see potential that it would be put to better use than just sitting in someone's display case.

What amazes me though is that people are actually willing to pay for this. Personally, I can't imagine buying just a tracking number. I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend. :blink:

Didn't I read somewhere recently that you could make a photocopy of your coin, laminate that and send it out in caches as the travelbug? That way it actually travels without the risk of being stolen.

Not sure what I think of a tracking number only sale on eBay, but I could see potential that it would be put to better use than just sitting in someone's display case.

What amazes me though is that people are actually willing to pay for this. Personally, I can't imagine buying just a tracking number. I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend. :ph34r:

That's us also.

Merry Christmas by the way to all our GAA friends

:blink:

I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend.  :ph34r:

That reminds me. I need to get organized and put mine in holders/binders.

Dragging around a couple of giant freezer bags full of coins is getting old.

That and they look cooler organized in a binder :blink:

What amazes me though is that people are actually willing to pay for this. Personally, I can't imagine buying just a tracking number. I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend. :blink:

i would buy it (private mail me), if i could get at least 2 copies of both sides, so that i might send it out, and be able to replace it. it makes no difference that i would not have the coin.

the price is under $2. why not?

and you can do anything you want, as long as it is in the rules. figure out a loophole, and they will close it on you (virtual coins). as far as i know, making copies of coins is within the rules, and prevents their permanent loss. if you choose not to move/log them, this is a personal chioce.

I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend.  :blink:

That and they look cooler organized in a binder :ph34r:

I'll be putting up the opportunity to purchase "me looking at your geocoins in your fancy folder" on ebay shortly.

I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend.  :blink:

That and they look cooler organized in a binder :ph34r:

Check out this:

Coin Pages

You don't have to use coin flips and other crap for the coins to stay in place. I bought some, they are awesome, and she has a bunch more.

I like having the coin in hand and dragging around 50 lbs of coins to every geocaching event I attend.  :ph34r:

Check out this:

Coin Pages

You don't have to use coin flips and other crap for the coins to stay in place.

Interesting.....

That looks like it would work fine for Geocoins, but I'd never put a high grade U.S. coin in one.

The friction marks across the face alone would knock it down a grade or 2.

Thanks for posting that..... :wub:

Check out this:

Coin Pages

You don't have to use coin flips and other crap for the coins to stay in place.

Interesting.....

That looks like it would work fine for Geocoins, but I'd never put a high grade U.S. coin in one.

The friction marks across the face alone would knock it down a grade or 2.

Thanks for posting that..... :wub:

In between pages I use a piece of that craft foam (you can also use that shipping /packing foam that's real thin). I punch holes in it so it fits inthe three ring binder. This way the coins do not rub. I also put on the foam what coins are on the page behind it.

We are already aware of this, and I have discussed it with Groundspeak. Those of you who are posting "in before the lock", just exactly WHAT did you get IN before I lock it, besides another post count? Frankly, I am not thinking of locking this one because I think the word needs to get out that someone is trying to sell/give away a number and if it actually got sold (or in this case, given away) it still would not be an allowable log on gc.com.

We are already aware of this, and I have discussed it with Groundspeak.  Those of you who are posting "in before the lock", just exactly WHAT did you get IN before I lock it, besides another post count?  Frankly, I am not thinking of locking this one because I think the word needs to get out that someone is trying to sell/give away a number and if it actually got sold (or in this case, given away) it still would not be an allowable log on gc.com.

Eartha- There is a new game out there called "In before lock". It is very fun and it adds to our post stats. :blink:

We are already aware of this, and I have discussed it with Groundspeak. Those of you who are posting "in before the lock", just exactly WHAT did you get IN before I lock it, besides another post count? Frankly, I am not thinking of locking this one because I think the word needs to get out that someone is trying to sell/give away a number and if it actually got sold (or in this case, given away) it still would not be an allowable log on gc.com.

Why not wait and see what happens with the number? This could be a case of knowing too much about the number. If the new owner of the number makes a laminated coin and sends it out into the wild, we certainly wouldn't want to hinder that, would we? The fact that the coin is on someone else's shelf rather than the holder of the activated number is, frankly, none of our business.

Oh great, now look whats for sale

ebaylock.jpg

in before the lock

We are already aware of this, and I have discussed it with Groundspeak.  Those of you who are posting "in before the lock", just exactly WHAT did you get IN before I lock it, besides another post count?  Frankly, I am not thinking of locking this one because I think the word needs to get out that someone is trying to sell/give away a number and if it actually got sold (or in this case, given away) it still would not be an allowable log on gc.com.

Oh great, now look whats for sale

ebaylock.jpg

in before the lock

OOOOOOO Looks like a good bargain. ;)

Check out this:

Coin Pages

You don't have to use coin flips and other crap for the coins to stay in place. I bought some, they are awesome, and she has a bunch more.

Ladycacher,

Do the coins fall out if you turn the binder upside down?

More than once

Outdoormunchkin00 has gotten excited at new coins and went to get the coin binder for me and spilled a few out. I need to get the wrinkles ironed out of my coin storage so I can take them to events.

Check out this:

Coin Pages

Ladycacher,

Do the coins fall out if you turn the binder upside down?

More than once

Outdoormunchkin00 has gotten excited at new coins and went to get the coin binder for me and spilled a few out. I need to get the wrinkles ironed out of my coin storage so I can take them to events.

I use a zipped binder. That way if my kids grab it and a coin does come out of the sleeve it stays in the binder until I unzip it. ;)

No, we won't hinder a laminated tag, but if it starts a rash of people selling the tracking numbers, that could become a real problem and I do believe there is something in the guidleines about that. Now that this thread has gone totally off topic and all has been said that needs to be said on the subject I am closing it.