Next Indiana Gathering?

TEAM RETRIEVER

If you are wanting to combine caching with camping - then join us for INDIGO's first

Trail Mix on Saturday, January 14th.  There has been lots of excitement about this new program being discussed on the forums.  So load up and head for Morgan-Monroe State Forest which is located south of Martinsville off Hwy 37.

TRAIL MIX is a combination TRAIL HIKE/Caching. We will be hiking/caching the MMSF Rock Shelter Trail Series starting with this cache - GCQZTX There are about 10 caches in the Trail Area, and about another 10 in close proximity to this area.

Park at the Low Gap Trailhead Parking Lot

N39*18.661 W86*25.481

The Rock Shelter Trail located within the Morgan Monroe State Forest is a 3.2 mile moderate to rugged looped trail beginning at the Southwest corner of the parking area near the road.

The Rock Shelter Trail is also a part of the 10 mile Low Gap Trail & Tecumseh Trail.

Trail Maps are available at the Forest Office located north of the Low Gap Parking area on the Main Forest Road, if you like hiking - this DNR Property provides access to seven hiking trails that cover more than 28 miles, including the northern terminus of the Tecumseh Trail.

FOR CAMPING INFORMATION: Class C Camping is available at Mason Ridge Campground. Water hookups are not available, but water is available at camp office. $5.00 per night winter rate per site. Call 765-342-4026 for more information. Reservations are not necessary.

Don't forget about Tell Me A Story! in South Bend January 21. It looks like the event may be close to reaching capacity, though. 27 doesn't seem like a lot of people, but then I'm used to bigger events.

Speaking of which, make sure to leave July 7-9 open and consider tacking on the rest of the week before. The Bash registration should be coming online shortly and the event page will follow the new year.

Captain, click on "My Account"; that will take you to "My Account Details" page. on right side under "Search Options" click on "List Newest in Indiana" that will give you a list of newest caches, ordered by date published. At the top of the list will be all the event caches, since they are for a future date. CINCO events and NEI-GEO events may be closer for you than IndiGo events, and they welcome geocachers from all areas equally... The NEI-Geo (Ft. Wayne/Auburn) events are lunches with opportunitities to do local caching before and after, with some picnics in the works. Cinco (West of you) has lunches and some cache runs and Picnics in the works...

well, I'm not great at searching out event caches either (though like SixDogTeam mentioned, if you search for newest, they'll keep popping up). I've heard tales of a spring event that pairs with the fall picnic, but no details on it. Does anyone know if that's happening this year?

And, Captain Retreiver - while Indi-go is a bit further away, the first trail mix is up between Bloomington and Indi, so in about the middle of the state. In case you mis-understood from SixDogTeam's post - Indi-go is also quite inclusive. All we ask is that you come out and join us then you are a member, so we're just as happy to see you as the northern groups. No need to pre-register, no fees, no restrictions on who can come - whoever comes to the event comes and we all hang out together (we just might be a bit harder for you to meet up with, since the drive will be a lot further).

I've heard about the treks that lead to the formation of the first trailmix, and they sounded great. If you can spare the day, I'm certain you'd have a lot of fun on the hike. If you can't make that one, they've said they're going to try to have a trailmix every one to two months, so keep checking the "events" page on the indi-go site, and maybe you can make one in the future.

hope to see you out caching sometime in 2006!

Cinco (West of you) has lunches and some cache runs and Picnics in the works...

Just to add to SixDogTeam's contribution, CINCO is getting together a cache run to the Project APE cache in Illinois on 7 January. We'll be starting out in Lafayette and carpooling, hitting the APE cache and some others on the way back. It's not an official geocaching event, but you might still be interested.

And on Jan 28th, there is the CINCO Poker run & Dinner

N 40° 25.777 W 086° 52.357

Waypoint: GCRC46

Lots of activity happening in Indiana during early 2006. Unfortunately I am going to miss the planet Ape run as well as the IndiGo event the following weekend. ;)

As for the spring picnic it is being sponsored by Team Shydog this year with a pre-event Friday sponsored by Car54. These will be on the weekend of May 5-7th.

Historically the spring picnic is hosted by a northern group while the fall picnic is hosted by a southern group of cachers. Both are "not to be missed" events.

From a post that has slipped off the front page.

Spring Picnic 2006

Saturday May 6, 2006

Salamonie State Forest

(Between Wabash and Huntington, In)

Looking to have a Friday night meet and greet at the Lost Bridge West SRA campground.

More details to follow.

Anyone interested in helping out at the picnic or M&G please contact me.

Thanks,

Chris-Team Shydog

Some of the local caches to give you an idea of the location...

GCM9PV- Near camping area

GCKXBD- Near picnic location (Very near)

Has there been a meeting time set for the Trail Mix yet? I am really looking forward to doing this, I just will have to make a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there. I think it will be well worth it!

Chris-Team Shydog

Shydog-

I would go over to the INDIGO thread and post this question there. Deermark hasn't posted all the details yet, but when everything is ready to go....it will probably be posted on the INDIGO thread.

The Trailmix will be starting at 10:00am. The parking area is small so we may have to shuttle a few people from a larger parking area nearby. This hike is for all ages and abilities. Of course when one person finds the cache we all find the cache but it really is more about making friends. The Trailmix is patterned after the 9 mile Rose Island trips we used to take until Charlestown State Park closed down the area to humans. It is open to anyone from any part of the world. Come on out and join us for a nice hike.

Deermark

The Trailmix will be starting at 10:00am. The parking area is small so we may have to shuttle a few people from a larger parking area nearby. This hike is for all ages and abilities. Of course when one person finds the cache we all find the cache but it really is more about making friends. The Trailmix is patterned after the 9 mile Rose Island trips we used to take until Charlestown State Park closed down the area to humans. It is open to anyone from any part of the world. Come on out and join us for a nice hike.

Deermark

Deermark,

Just to check (as one of the Evansville folks...)

10 am Eastern time, right? (JAPTKD and I are trying to figure out if we should get a hotel room close by or just get up REALLLLLLLLY early in the morning. the hour difference might help us choose... :(

Wow! Another Indiana event in Jan. What are we going to do for an encore in Feb? There is the NEI-GEO meet'n'greet, of course and CINCO is having an event the first weekend in March but in general it looks like Feb will be its usual long and dreary month. :P

Maybe someone in Indigo-Indy could put on a Feb event? This in an entirely selfish request as it would give me an excuse to go somewhere in the dead of winter and would also allow me to finally attend an IndiGo event.

Any times listed for an IndiGo Event will always be local time at the event site. Whick for the Trailmix in Eastern Standard Time. Sure is going to be a long drive for the Evansville folks.

Deermark

may be a long enough drive to have me checking into hotels closer to the trail... JAPTKD is all for camping out at the campground, but I think that's just going toooo far there. B) I'd figured it was 10 am eastern, but I was just hoping that *maybe* I would luck out and that would be one of the random bits of Indiana that aren't in Eastern time... oh well. now to debate the early morning wakeup versus the hotel...

As for long drives - go to yahoo maps (or your personal favorite mapping tool), and check the route between Coeburn, VA and Evansville. Look close - is Greeneville TN anywhere close to on that route? But JAPTKD desperately wanted to pick up "Wee Three Monks I" so he found a way to make it part of the drive. From Evansville to Coeburn - 6.25 hours. From Coeburn to Evansville - 10.5 hours. hmmmmmmm. yeah, I don't think japtkd will mind the jaunt up to the Bloomington/Indi area. B)

EVENT

GCRR3P

This is at a buffet so bring some money for lunch It's around 7.00 I belive but not to bad kids are cheaper. All are invited PLease Respond to me VIA EMAIL

Whitespectrumdfx@aol.com

Respond ASAP so i can get a count so i can reserve the party room see you all there.. Whitesdfx

At 12:00 Noon on 1-14-2006 the cords are to the parking lot.

RT 50 Lawrenceburg, Indiana 47025

The meaning of this meeting for Cachers in the area and out of the area to come to meet and greet eacch other this is my 1st event and I think it woild be nice to meet the differnt Cachers and see what your Favorite caches are or have been and how you all have been doing this for.

ok, this is kinda tooting the horn for my own cache, but it fits here soo....

If anyone is from the Evansville area - or is simply willing to travel to the Evansville area, we'll be having a meet and greet on 2/18 at 11 am (that's Central time). While I'm assuming most of the attendees will live near Evansville, the event is open to anyone who is willing to come to the area. If you need information on local hotels/campgrounds/etc etc, just let me know. (hint, the closest hotel is roughly 300 feet from the restaurant's coords...)

Anyway, if you are interested, :

Evansville Meet and Greet

(aka GCT2YK)

Hope to see you there!

Adding Linkitude for the CITO event and the CINCO-GEO Spring Fling events:

Pokagon Camper's Trash-Out

CINCO Campfire Meet & Greet

2006 Spring Picnic.

Also, there is a Meet-n-EAT event monthly in the Northeast Indiana area. Run a search for keyword NEI-GEO and you'll see what we have planned.

(However, we're not having a separate NEI-GEO meet-n-eat for April, due to the Pokagon CITO event, in May due to the Spring Fling, or in July due to the GeoBASH.)

Everyone's welcome to come to the NEI-GEO Meet-n-EAT events!

Yes, Dogs are welcome at the picnic. At last years' picnic, Patrick was quite the center of attention.

Patrick the center of attention?!!? Imagine that (sarcasm)!!! :huh:

*Perks * PATRICK ! ;):ph34r: of course he was the center of attention ! I was so upset

Star got to Geocache with him and they left me home ! ;)

We'd take the big fat weiner but we'd need a wagon to pull her around all day.<g> She just don't get alot of speed with them stubby little legs.

Wulf

I'm sure that anyone who is anybody already has this down on their calendar ... but a quick reminder that the next CINCO event (this time hosted by The Discovery Duo & Saving Shiloh) is this Saturday, March 4th, in Frankfort.

¡CINCO de Marzo Fiesta! -- GCR0VQ

The following Saturday is a IndiGo breakfast and the weekend after that sees the "Replinishing Muncie" event.

Lots of things to do!

A trio of Indiana events this weekend and then nothing really big until Earth Day in late April. In early May is the Spring Picnic and then nothing until June. Of course there are Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Michigan events as well. Hope to see everyone at one of the events -- the Spring Picnic if not before.

March 18th

-------------

(North East) NEI-GEO March 2006 Meet-n-EAT (GCRP02)

(Center East) Replinishing Muncie (GCRW2C)

(South Central) INDIGO TRAILMIX II - SHAW LAKE (GCTHGF)

March 21st

-------------

(South Central) INKY March Madness (GCTCPC)

April 22nd

-------------

(Central) Earth Day Special (GCTMDJ)

(North Central) Earth Day at Bonneyville (GCTMTY)

(North East) NEI-GEO Pokagon Camper's Trash Out (GCRMJE)

(South West) Patoka Meet and Greet for EACO (GCTJJ1)

May 5th & 6th

--------------

(Center) CINCO Campfire Meet & Greet (GCTBP0)

(Center) 2006 Spring Picnic (GCT4KD)

(South East) Eat/Play/Seek (GCT42K)

June 10th

--------------

(North East) NEI-GEO June 2006 Meet-n-EAT (GCTT8P)