External Antenna For Hand Held

ThreeTrees

It's generally not necessary to use an external antenna, but using one will make your GPS receiver work better. I use the Gilsson external that's sold for about $20 at the GPSGeek eBay store. The main advantage is that it lets me keep the antenna in an optimal position (up high and facing the sky) while keeping the receiver itself in a more convenient location. For most geocaching this doesn't matter so much since you can easily hold the receiver appropriately as you approach the cache site. But if I want to record an accurate tracklog of an extended hike I find it best to keep the receiver in my pocket and use the external antenna. In my own car I don't usually use the external since I have some velcro on the dashboard that holds the receiver where it gets good reception and is easily viewed. But when riding in other's cars or rentals I find the external to be more convenient since there might not be a good place to locate the receiver. Also some cars have a metallic coating on the windshield that interferes with reception. And in my own car I do use the external when traveling through the downtown areas of major cities where the urban canyons block most of the sky.

So overall I've found the external antenna to be a very worthwhile purchase even though I usually use my receiver without it.

Edited by peter

I use a Gilsson external antenna. I got the one with a 9 foot cord and a right angle connection. I love it when I am hiking. I put a metal strap around the sholder strap of my backpack, and stick the magnetic antenna to it. Thay way, I can hang my 60C on my belt or stick it in my pocket and never loose signal, even in heavy tree cover.

I also use it when I travel. I much prefer to lower the window shade on the plane an inch or so and slip the antenna under it to hold it in place. Then I can see where we are on the 60C, and show curious fellow passengers, without having to have the GPS held up to the window to keep a lock.

I got the long cord so that I could use it in my car, but I never loose signal in my Jeep TJ, even without the external antenna, so if I were to do it again, I would probably go with the three foot cord.

The only problem I've noticed with the Gilsson is that the antenna fits into the unit *very* tightly. I usually need a multitool or some other tool to get it loose when connected.

I wouldn't go with the Garmin antenna ($70) or the Gilsson from the official Gilsson site ($50). GPSGeek has then for $30, and I've seen them for about $20. Google or Froogle it for the best price.

Nice review here.

Yes, my Lowrance came with the RAA-3 External amplifying antenna. I always use it in a car, simply because I like to have a good signal when travelling, and without it the signal jumps around. I sometimes use it to find the cache, but usually go without it. It does come in handy for heavy tree cover. (It's winter now, so not much problem there.)

I wouldn't go with the Garmin antenna ($70) or the Gilsson from the official Gilsson site  ($50).  GPSGeek has then for $30, and I've seen them for about $20.  Google or Froogle it for the best price.

Nice review here.

I would like to suggest reading this review on the new Garmin GA25MCX antenna authored by Allory Deiss w/GPSInformation.net. I ordered mine last night from GPSCity for $24.95, but today I see it listed for $31. Mr Deiss did tests with the new Garmin and the Gilsson antenna and found them to perform equally, so I went with the Garmin MXC for all the good reasons stated in the review.

In my pickup or my wife's car I use a window mount and get good signals. In my pickup I can also hold the unit or put it in the cup holder on the armrest and it works fine. In my wife's car, if I remove the unit from the mount I will lose signal quickly. When traveling in her car I use the external Glisson so that I can hold the unit in my hand if I want to change things around and I won't lose the signal. It's really handy sometimes but I wouldn't want to use it all the time. I never use it in the field.