'tis The Season: Sledding Hills

(inadvertently created a new thread, so I closed that thread and put the post here).

The photo of sledders should be a start in sifting through the submissions. I'm thinking of sledding hills where families would go with the kids for a fun day.

For this category to be of use to everyone, my preference is the submissions be on publicly available land. Maybe a "fee area" variable would be useful to cover ski areas or fee based parks that sometimes have sledding hills.

Also, after thinking about this for a day, it would be good to prompt the submitter for some type of "hazards" information. Maybe that's a rating, or perhaps just a text variable.

Would like folks to contribute to a list of their favorite sledding hills.

Variables would include:

estimated height of hill

number of runs (a range pulldown) {1-5, 6-10, 10-15, unlimited}

photo of the hill, with sledders!

A Completely Subjective Fun Factor { 1 through 5 }

seems kinda tough for simple hills. Needs a camera, and might have to bring own sledders? if its not a weekend afternoon <_<

Would like folks to contribute to a list of their favorite sledding hills.

Variables would include:

estimated height of hill

number of runs (a range pulldown) {1-5, 6-10, 10-15, unlimited}

photo of the hill, with sledders!

A Completely Subjective Fun Factor { 1 through 5 }

seems kinda tough for simple hills. Needs a camera, and might have to bring own sledders? if its not a weekend afternoon :laughing:

Doesn't everyone want a picture of themselves or their kids crashing down a sledding hill, posted on a world wide web site? :laughing:

This is a real proposal, but the category is JUST FOR FUN! I don't expect the submission criteria to be too stiff. Just that you don't mind sharing your favorite sledding hill!

Doesn't everyone want a picture of themselves or their kids crashing down a sledding hill, posted on a world wide web site? :laughing:

This is a real proposal, but the category is JUST FOR FUN! I don't expect the submission criteria to be too stiff. Just that you don't mind sharing your favorite sledding hill!

They sure do, I have a wall of pictures to prove that... :laughing:

I am joking, I'm really not a stalker

I realize its just for fun, its just (to me at least) it seems like going to the hill, finding some people, taking a picture, coming back, uploading the pic, in addition to punching in the isn't so much fun. When really all thats needed is a waypoint and short label like "sled hill'.

But maybe thats just me, theres a couple waymarks that I could give a close coord of what I know is there, but if I have to make an special expedition... well most of the waymarks are just not intersting enough to do that :huh: .

There is already a "Winter Sports" category with no sub-categories. It does seem rather broad, and would be better with some sub categores such as alpine skiing, nordic skiing, ice skating, snowmobiling, sledding hills, etc.

Having worked on other projects involving developing catgories for broad ranges of interest, I know that the taxonomy can be challenging. I'm sure the bosses are wrestiling with this so as not to have a chaotic jumble of categories arising from our whims as geocachers.

There is already a "Winter Sports" category with no sub-categories. It does seem rather broad, and would be better with some sub categores such as alpine skiing, nordic skiing, ice skating, snowmobiling, sledding hills, etc.

I ran "sledding hills" by the category owner for "Winter Sports" and we agreed the sledding places didn't meet that category's goals.

I ran "sledding hills" by the category owner for "Winter Sports" and we agreed the sledding places didn't meet that category's goals.

This is an example to illustrate the fact that great care needs to be taken in setting up the taxonomy of the category structure! As described, "Winter Sports Locations" really refers only to "Ski Resorts." There is nothing wrong with the caqtegory; it is just mis-named so that it sounds broader than it is.

A more logical system would have Winter Sports Locations with sub-categories such as Ski Resorts, Sledding Hills, Ice Skating Rinks, Ice Fishing Lakes, etc. This would in no way diminish the existing category, while providing a common sense way to add related categories without a haphazard spawling of categories.

As I see it . . . :antenna: