Mapping Software

What you need is a new GPS. I don't know what unit you are using, but I started using the Lowrance iFinder Hunt and it is awesome! Here is a shot of a map screen from the MapCreate software. timber.JPG

The dark green topped trees are scrapes and the light green topped trees are rubs. These are all icons that come installed on the unit. You can save just icons and not waypoints if you want. All of the icons are hunting related and are geared for deer, turkey, duck and upland hunting.

I'd sure keep this in mind if you're looking for a new unit. Well worth the money!!!!!

National Geographic's TOPO! would do exactly what you want. You can download waypoints and tracks to the map. Either the state series (each package has full coverage of one state at the 7.5 minute quads) or Backroads Explorer (covers the entire USA, but not as detailed maps, but will 'merge' with the state series) would work for you.

I use Memory-Map and love it. Here are some screen shots. I apologize for the poor quality of the pics as they were compressed to be load quicker. The first is a shot of deer tracks I followed and scrapings and bedding areas I marked on an aerial photo.

deer1.jpg

The second is a topo map with public hunting areas marked.

deer2.jpg

And the third is a 3d view of the topo map.

deer3.jpg

You can get the software and maps for a whole state for less than $75 right now. (You would need to upgrade to be able to use the aerial photos.) It comes with the PC software and Pocket PC software in one package (so I can put my maps on my Dell Axim).

The program works with Pocket PCs or many GPS units (Garmin / Magellan / Lowrance). You can upload and download data easily. You can print the maps, too.