Category Proposal - Historical Markers

I've seen several categories for historical markers that are specific to a single state. I'd like to have a category for all American Pioneer related markers, from whatever state they may be found in. I was thinking that they ought to be limited to those that commemorate people/places/things with a date prior to 1900 and be related to those brave pioneers who explored and colonized the American West.

1900 is a little early for states such as my own (AZ) that weren't admitted until 1912. Let alone Alaska and Hawaii in 1959. Sure there are markers for before but I think all markers that are historical in nature are interesting. I love pulling off the road and reading about the history of a place, it often sparks a visit to the local library for more research.

1900 is a little early for states such as my own (AZ) that weren't admitted until 1912. Let alone Alaska and Hawaii in 1959. Sure there are markers for before but I think all markers that are historical in nature are interesting.

All 'Historical Markers' should be allowed even those predating the years above, as they are still historical.

Example from Hawai'i below....pre-1959

Kona_Historical_Society_Museum2.JPGcaptain_james_cook_monument1.jpg

how about having a way to search ALL the historical markers for the type?

GA markers have a drop down menu to check if it is a park, building, monument, other, etc....

but how can i pull up only the historical buildings in GA posted in that category? what if i am traveling and want to visit historical monuments along the route?

this could be related to the discussion about caches along a route.