Unarchive Ape Caches?

TeamNulti2003

Would it be possible to get APE caches unarchived if people became owner's of

the cache? For Example, APE Cache Mission #1 - I would like to work with the park rangers for Mount Diablo and get their permission to re-place the APE cache. I think having them join me on the cache placement would be outstanding. The cache would be as identical to the original (size of ammo can, logos and log book). I could even place some Planet of the Apes memorabilia into the cache (if that would help). Everyone seems to really like the APE caches (going by the logs of Mission 9: Tunnel of Light) and I think it would be a good idea to keep as many of the APE caches going as we can.

Thanks

Edited by TeamNulti2003

When I moved my APE cache back to an APE cache, there was a discussion about what made an APE cache and APE cache. I can't post back to it now, since the search feature is busted. :blink:

The consensus was that when does an APE cache cease being an APE cache. The container is really unique. I hauled that sucker into the forest to place it and back out and back in when we were dealing with the local forest preserves. The original log book is pretty unique, although mine is full and sitting on a shelf in my home office. The contents were traded out long ago. The cache is still in its exact position where it was placed in August of 2001.

So - if your cache were at that location would it be an APE cache?

The consensus at that time of the previous discussion agreed it would not. Container seemed to be the selling point.

So - if your cache were at that location would it be an APE cache?

The consensus at that time of the previous discussion agreed it would not. Container seemed to be the selling point.

I'd take it a step farther. The logbook is a critical piece that makes a cache unique. Replacing the book when it's full doesn't make it another cache, as it's just cache maintenance.

Once a cache goes missing or is removed, a third party can't just place a new cache at the spot and call it a continuation of the original...even if they could replicate the container.

Ape caches are definately few and far between, but thats what makes them so unique and rare. I hope that the one in Washington state is still active next time I travel that way.

Once a cache goes missing or is removed, a third party can't just place a new cache at the spot and call it a continuation of the original...even if they could replicate the container.

Reminds me of the guy who claimed to own Abe Lincoln's ax. "Yup. Replaced the handle a few times, and that the third head I've put on it. But it's Abe Lincoln's ax all right!"

Edited by Prime Suspect
  • Upvote 1

Not that anyone asked for my two cents, but here goes. Ape caches are slowly going away, and the idea that it can't be replaced with another container make NO sense to me. I have had several of my caches come up missing and I replaced the container. I'll just bet that everyone has lost a container, and replaced it!

If we go on the assumption that if a cache comes up missing to archive it. what happens to this sport? I have logged one Ape cache "Mission 9 Tunnel of light". I would love to be able to log more.

If it's the size of the container that matters to everyone, please let me know. I'll be happy to help pay for it's replacement.

Thanks for your time.

Snowmann

Banks Oregon.

Not that anyone asked for my two cents, but here goes. Ape caches are slowly going away, and the idea that it can't be replaced with another container make NO sense to me. I have had several of my caches come up missing and I replaced the container. I'll just bet that everyone has lost a container, and replaced it!

If we go on the assumption that if a cache comes up missing to archive it. what happens to this sport? I have logged one Ape cache "Mission 9 Tunnel of light". I would love to be able to log more.

If it's the size of the container that matters to everyone, please let me know. I'll be happy to help pay for it's replacement.

Thanks for your time.

Snowmann

Banks Oregon.

I don't think anyone is saying the any cache that comes up missing needs to be archived. What people are saying is that APEs were "special" (container, stenciling, logbook) and if you're just going to replace the container and logbook, then there's nothing that makes it any different than a normal traditional cache.....not that there was that much to begin with.

Would it be possible to get APE caches unarchived if people became owner's of

the cache? For Example, APE Cache Mission #1 - I would like to work with the park rangers for Mount Diablo and get their permission to re-place the APE cache. I think having them join me on the cache placement would be outstanding. The cache would be as identical to the original (size of ammo can, logos and log book). I could even place some Planet of the Apes memorabilia into the cache (if that would help). Everyone seems to really like the APE caches (going by the logs of Mission 9: Tunnel of Light) and I think it would be a good idea to keep as many of the APE caches going as we can.

Thanks

Go ahead and do it, then list it as a traditional. I bought a big ammo can, filled it with Planet of the Apes goodies and placed it at the site of Mission 10b here in the UK. Its a replica not an APE cache, so why should it carry the icon?

Everyone seems to like the APE caches because of their rarity and the story behind them, to unarchive a long gone cache and award people the icon for finding a close(?) replica would cheapen the whole concept in my eyes.

I'm talking of getting the archived APE caches back up and running. That would mean reproducing the container (size, and stencil) and log as well as the cache paper describing APE caches.

My $.02 - Once it is gone, it is gone. As the original owner of a cache you have the right, and duty, to replace caches and logbooks as long as it is reasonable. Sometimes caches fade into the sunset. Bye. The idea of putting out a new cache in the same location as an archived cache is like the forest regrowing after a fire. New and fresh. The Ape caches were a one time attraction. Those that have been maintained are all that are left. Enjoy them if you can.

Found Mission 12, 879.6 miles from my home, on 7-5-05. Now it is missing. Will the current owner be able to replace it and still call it an APE cache? I will leave that question up to TPTB. :cry:

Loch Cache

Go ahead and do it, then list it as a traditional. I bought a big ammo can, filled it with Planet of the Apes goodies and placed it at the site of Mission 10b here in the UK. Its a replica not an APE cache, so why should it carry the icon?

Everyone seems to like the APE caches because of their rarity and the story behind them, to unarchive a long gone cache and award people the icon for finding a close(?) replica would cheapen the whole concept in my eyes.

I feel basically the same way. I'm not that attached to APE caches and would be even less so if they weren't even the original ones. If one goes missing, it should be archived, IMO. They're slowly going extinct...

OK, I'll throw fuel on the fire.

Big discussion going on about this exact same subject on the Maryland APE cache page until Quiggle cut it off. Seems it and the Illinois APE cache are both MIA.

Mission 12: Blind Canal

Mission 7: Crab Creek (Project APE)

Don't have a horse in this race really, found all three here in the states. But it would seem to me that TPTB would hate to lose them. The mystic of the APE caches is the kind of PR for the sport you can't hardly buy. The problem is how to replace them while maintaining the integrity of the series.

My guess is that once they're archived they're gone, done, finished. But if they're muggled then it would be up to the cache owner.

What we need is new series of the APE cache proportion.

Saving for my trip to Brazil!!!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Very recent update- the Maryland APE cache is archived. Bummer!

Sometimes you just can't replace the ORIGINAL, it just doesn't feel right, as is the case here. Perhaps someone can think of someone else to start a new series with, something official the way these were. I think they are an endangered species soon to become extinct and it is as it should be. No reason you can't put an "APE tribute" cache out though.

Perhaps someone can think of someone else to start a new series with, something official the way these were.

I'd be happy to sponsor a "ThePropers" series, if GC.com would be up for it. All I need to do is buy 12 big ammo cans and stencil "Project ThePropers" on the side, fill them with some "official" ThePropers swag, customize a logbook, and find some people to hide them across the country. right? Piece o' cake.

Can we use my Evil Monkey avatar as the icon?

If it needs to be more "official" I can change ThePropers.com to be all about the "Project ThePropers" geocaching challenge game.

Yes, that's the best idea I've ever come up with. Heck, it might be the best idea anyone has ever come up with. Light bulb? The automobile? Computers? They all pale in comparison.

I expect a PM from TPTB any minute now taking me up on my offer.

Edited by ThePropers

Perhaps someone can think of someone else to start a new series with, something official the way these were.

I'd be happy to sponsor a "ThePropers" series, if GC.com would be up for it. All I need to do is buy 12 big ammo cans and stencil "Project ThePropers" on the side, fill them with some "official" ThePropers swag, customize a logbook, and find some people to hide them across the country. right? Piece o' cake.

Can we use my Evil Monkey avatar as the icon?

If it needs to be more "official" I can change ThePropers.com to be all about the "Project ThePropers" geocaching challenge game.

Yes, that's the best idea I've ever come up with. Heck, it might be the best idea anyone has ever come up with. Light bulb? The automobile? Computers? They all pale in comparison.

I expect a PM from TPTB any minute now taking me up on my offer.

I am sitting here shaken and humbled and awed. :P This suggestion of yours is a truly amazing -- no, STUPENDOUS -- idea, and I am stunned that none of us thought of it before. This idea is a million times more real and exciting than the APE Cache thing, and it beats out almost any so-called "development" of civilization that I can think of. If the powers that be at geocaching.com accept and implement this idea, it will revolutionize geocaching and wil also undoubtedly lead to near-immediate world peace and to an instant end to global warming, and, of course, an end to all disease and war and famine. Thank you very much for this amazing and selfless action of suggesting this, and I will personally mominate you for a Nobel Prize next springtime when the Nobel Committee contacts me, as they always do each year, to solicit my input on worthy Nobel candidates. :cry:

I guess the other question is, after all these years, why are they disappearing????? Not that anything can be done about it, but I wonder if there is a trend starting here.....

Well, just normal attrition over the years, likely, and probably not the result of any conspiracy. In fact, a geo-friend of ours who has done a lot of maintenance on the MD-area APE cache that just went missing has reported to the owners and many others for a long time that the cache was very exposed and obvious to muggles in its present location, and he and others had predicted for a long time that the cache would finally eventually be raided or stolen by muggles if it were not relocated slightly, as such an outcome seemed almost inevitable. Well, it finally happened, and I doubt that any locals are too surprised.

I am having a hard time understanding the logic here. The APE cache's are unique and special but it certainly is not the container or the logbook. Maryland's has been visited 900 times.That alone makes it a very special location. When the original log was filled did it cease to be an APE cache? If it had a thousand visits would it be expected that the original logbook would be sufficient. The spirit of these locations is more important than the logbook or container. The original promo items are long gone but it does not diminish the cache. The original logbook for this cache is still available since it was replaced nearly a year ago and was not taken with the container. The original container was showing signs of wear as might be expected after years in the wild. No one seems to be suggesting any major changes in location or goal. Some of us in the area ( I live 2 miles from the location) have tried to be good guardians and feel strongly about keeping the location active and maintained. My first cache was muggled very soon after it was placed but I put out another container and it has been fine since then. In my opinion it is the same cache even if the container has changed. Would it be acceptable to have a cache container that was in poor condition in any other circumstance? If i wanted to place a new APE cache miles away that would be a different situation and I would agree it would not be acceptable as an APE.

I hope that TPTB will reconsider and allow this cache to live on.

Reminds me of the guy who claimed to own Abe Lincoln's ax. "Yup. Replaced the handle a few times, and that the third head I've put on it. But it's Abe Lincoln's ax all right!"

I think this sums it up nicely. The originals are gone. You can replace the containers and the log books and it's still a cache, it's just not an A.P.E cache.

El Diablo

Pretty interesting conversation. It's close to something I've been thinking about. Should a cache be resurrected at all after it's been archived for a length of time? I mean the original cache page & history- everything. Or should a new cache be listed? I've seen some older caches (some the oldest in their respective states) be unarchived. Sometimes they are not even in the original spots...

I guess the other question is, after all these years, why are they disappearing????? Not that anything can be done about it, but I wonder if there is a trend starting here.....

Well, just normal attrition over the years, likely, and probably not the result of any conspiracy. In fact, a geo-friend of ours who has done a lot of maintenance on the MD-area APE cache that just went missing has reported to the owners and many others for a long time that the cache was very exposed and obvious to muggles in its present location, and he and others had predicted for a long time that the cache would finally eventually be raided or stolen by muggles if it were not relocated slightly, as such an outcome seemed almost inevitable. Well, it finally happened, and I doubt that any locals are too surprised.

Normally I think I'd agree with you. But with 2 of them going missing within a couple of weeks of each other...makes one wonder...

Normally I think I'd agree with you. But with 2 of them going missing within a couple of weeks of each other...makes one wonder...

Okay! Okay already! Gosh! I give up! I admit it! You are right and I was lying through my teeth! :laughing: Yes, I admit it -- it is true that there is a dire conspiracy -- one so massive that it stretches across three universes, sixteen dimensions, and seventeen alternate space-time worlds -- to confiscate and remove from service all APE caches in order to advance the evil agenda of the space aliens here on earth! sigh! :rolleyes: I apologize for lying to you in my earlier post, and for trying to make it all sound like simple attrition due to the passge of time or due to poor hides. <_< The sad and very sick reality is that the alien Grays and their heartless masters, the cold reptoid reptilians, paid me one hundred thousand dollars in cash (it was delivered to my door this afternoon by one of their hapless human employees from the underground branch of the Pentagon, located in the secret tunnels under Washington DC) to deny the existence of their APE cache conspiracy on this forum and on the local Maryland forums in order to help to advance their agenda here on earth. I apologize profusely for my lie, but, well, I needed the money! :o:ph34r:

:(:D:):D:huh::)

Okay! Okay already! Gosh! I give up! I admit it! You are right and I was lying through my teeth! :laughing: Yes, I admit it -- it is true that there is a dire conspiracy -- one so massive that it stretches across three universes, sixteen dimensions, and seventeen alternate space-time worlds -- to confiscate and remove from service all APE caches in order to advance the evil agenda of the space aliens here on earth! sigh! :rolleyes: I apologize for lying to you in my earlier post, and for trying to make it all sound like simple attrition due to the passge of time or due to poor hides. <_< The sad and very sick reality is that the alien Grays and their heartless masters, the cold reptoid reptilians, paid me one hundred thousand dollars in cash (it was delivered to my door this afternoon by one of their hapless human employees from the underground branch of the Pentagon, located in the secret tunnels under Washington DC) to deny the existence of their APE cache conspiracy on this forum and on the local Maryland forums in order to help to advance their agenda here on earth. I apologize profusely for my lie, but, well, I needed the money! :o:ph34r:

:(B):):D:huh::)

Vinny....just one pill buddy, just one. :D

El Diablo

Pretty interesting conversation. It's close to something I've been thinking about. Should a cache be resurrected at all after it's been archived for a length of time? I mean the original cache page & history- everything. Or should a new cache be listed? I've seen some older caches (some the oldest in their respective states) be unarchived. Sometimes they are not even in the original spots...

If it had been months or years or a desire to place it in another spot I would agree. The Maryland APE was archived today and there are several people and groups that would be willing and honored to maintain such an historic cache. I looked through the logs for it a little earlier and it is filled with wonderful stories and names from across the country. It seems a shame to let the essence of this cache fade away. While the size of this cache did make it stand out the spirit of it is what makes it special.

If it had been months or years or a desire to place it in another spot I would agree. The Maryland APE was archived today and there are several people and groups that would be willing and honored to maintain such an historic cache. I looked through the logs for it a little earlier and it is filled with wonderful stories and names from across the country. It seems a shame to let the essence of this cache fade away. While the size of this cache did make it stand out the spirit of it is what makes it special.

Well said Michael - It always amazed me the distances that hundreds of cachers travelled to just log this cache.

Is there something I'm missing here? Wasn't the whole simian series a promotion for a movie? Somehow this is not a commercial cache? OK, it looks like some of the monkey cans are dying a natural death. So be it. Statistically speaking, that's what will happen to every cache. Now the locals are up in arms cuz the caches are getting archived? Weren't they archived by the owner? Isn't that the owner's right?

If I draw a stick figure, and call it the Mona Lisa, that doesn't make it a suitable replacement, even if I put my stick figure in a museum.

I hearby make the same prediction about all other traditional caches. :laughing:
I am having a hard time understanding the logic here. The APE cache's are unique and special but it certainly is not the container or the logbook. Maryland's has been visited 900 times.That alone makes it a very special location. When the original log was filled did it cease to be an APE cache? If it had a thousand visits would it be expected that the original logbook would be sufficient. The spirit of these locations is more important than the logbook or container. The original promo items are long gone but it does not diminish the cache. The original logbook for this cache is still available since it was replaced nearly a year ago and was not taken with the container. The original container was showing signs of wear as might be expected after years in the wild. No one seems to be suggesting any major changes in location or goal. Some of us in the area ( I live 2 miles from the location) have tried to be good guardians and feel strongly about keeping the location active and maintained. My first cache was muggled very soon after it was placed but I put out another container and it has been fine since then. In my opinion it is the same cache even if the container has changed. Would it be acceptable to have a cache container that was in poor condition in any other circumstance? If i wanted to place a new APE cache miles away that would be a different situation and I would agree it would not be acceptable as an APE.

I completely agree. Ape caches are not about the container. The rules for the APE caches should be no different than any other traditional cache. If the cache goes missing, it should be able to be replaced.

I completely agree. Ape caches are not about the container. The rules for the APE caches should be no different than any other traditional cache. If the cache goes missing, it should be able to be replaced.

I second that opinion. I think this is a slippery slope and it opens the door for any cache that goes missing, not being able to be replaced. If you archive the APE caches for this reason, then all caches that go missing should be archived unless the exact container and log book can be reproduced.

I think we need to ask ourselves: What makes an APE cache and APE cache?

5 years ago, an APE cache was something special. Big container, cool logbook, special trade items.

Leap ahead to 2006, and what is an APE cache? It's nothing but a traditional cache. There is nothing that separates it from a normal traditional other than the icon. They are nothing special. They ONLY get so much traffic because of the icon and that there are only X number of them in the country.

It is not the container that makes it an APE. I could go buy a big identical ammo can, paint "PROJECT A.P.E." on the side of it, go hide it, and it would NOT be listed as an APE cache.

So if it's not the container, and it's not the logbook, and it's not the trade items, and it's not the location, and it's not even the logging requirements....what makes it an APE cache?

Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

Maybe we should ask ourselves....if we hid a traditional cache and it got stolen, and we decided to replace it with non-traditional cache, should it still be listed as a traditional? Nope.

So if we hide an APE cache and it gets stolen, and we decide to replace it with a traditional cache, should it be listed as an APE cache? Probably not.

Okay! Okay already! Gosh! I give up! I admit it! You are right and I was lying through my teeth! :o Yes, I admit it -- it is true that there is a dire conspiracy -- one so massive that it stretches across three universes, sixteen dimensions, and seventeen alternate space-time worlds -- to confiscate and remove from service all APE caches in order to advance the evil agenda of the space aliens here on earth! sigh! :) I apologize for lying to you in my earlier post, and for trying to make it all sound like simple attrition due to the passge of time or due to poor hides. :D The sad and very sick reality is that the alien Grays and their heartless masters, the cold reptoid reptilians, paid me one hundred thousand dollars in cash (it was delivered to my door this afternoon by one of their hapless human employees from the underground branch of the Pentagon, located in the secret tunnels under Washington DC) to deny the existence of their APE cache conspiracy on this forum and on the local Maryland forums in order to help to advance their agenda here on earth. I apologize profusely for my lie, but, well, I needed the money! :laughing:B)

:ph34r::huh:B):D:(:rolleyes:

Vinny....just one pill buddy, just one. :D

El Diablo

....Oh! ...duh!

:D:)<_<

The original container was showing signs of wear as might be expected after years in the wild.

If the original container was eventually replaced during routine maintenance, would the people here who feel that its not an A.P.E. cache without the original container be in favor of its archival?

The fact is that the cache was no longer in its original location, the promotional materials were long gone and the original logbook was no longer in it. So from a physical standpoint it was no longer an A.P.E. cache a long time ago.

As Dancingfool so eloquently stated, the A.P.E. caches transcend their physical components. They are more than a logbook and a very big ammo box. They are a phenomenon in the geocaching world. People plan vacations around them, geocachers team up for road trips to log them, some people travel hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles to log them. I remember one geocacher who was visiting NYC who rented a car and drove the 8 round trip hours just to log one A.P.E. cache. It is a shame to lose this.

I wish that the owners weren't so quick to archive the MD cache with so little input from the community. There was no harm in keeping it disabled while this was hashed out, but now that its archived there is no going back.

In the top corner of this page is says: Groundspeak - The Language of Location. It was argued some time ago, that bringing an APE cache to an event to be logged was absurd - and I agree. I understand that although it was a very large, and rarely used type of ammo can, it still was an ammo can. Unless the APEs have started a new mission to reclaim their caches, I believe it should be brought back.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Interesting discussion. It reminds me of the discussions that followed the collapse of New Hampshire's Old Man of the Mountain in 2003. At that time, some felt that a replica should be constructed at the original site, others argued that a re-creation made no sense, as it could never replace the original icon. Emotions were strong on both sides. The state even put together a task force to review the issue.

In the end, the replica idea was abandoned, but the state did eventually install special viewfinders that helped show how the Old Man looked prior to his demise.

So my recommendation is to install special viewfinders near the site of each of the original APE caches, giving visitors the opportunity to see how the caches looked before they were archived. :laughing:

Let's face it, if a cache goes missing, it can be replaced, it doesn't have to be archived.

Would you archive an APE cache if the container started to leak, or would you simply swap out the container?

Would you replace an APE cache because the log book got full, or would you replace the log book?

Would you replace an APE cache because all the original swag had been traded out, or would you just keep on trading?

If it's not the can or the log or the swag, these caches shouldn't necessarily be archived just because the cache goes missing. Replace the cache and play on.

There are an awful lot of icon junkies out there.

1. When locationless got archived, people who never did a locationless ran out to get the icon.
  2. Everyone want to claim their event is a mega-event.
  3. Someone suggests a mega-cache type for caches that get a lot of visits.
  4. Someone suggests a historic cache type for another icon.
  5. People want to unarchive APE caches so that the icon stays available.

It's just a few pixels that show up on a computer screen. If you are really into icons you should visit Waymarking.com. Every category of waymark gets its own icon.

Then should the plaque for the "Original Stash" also be removed?

I reckon that would be up to the owner. Kinda like all the monkey caches. If the owner wants it to go away, then it should go away. Perhaps, one of the locals could get with an area reviewer and place a new cache, getting permission for the APE icon to be attached? I'm not a big fan of overtly commercial geocaching enterprises, although I will move Jeep TB's around, so I wouldn't hunt this one just because it was designed to promote a 21st Century Fox movie, but I might hunt one, (and only one), to add the unique icon to my list.

There are an awful lot of icon junkies out there.

1. When locationless got archived, people who never did a locationless ran out to get the icon.
  2. Everyone want to claim their event is a mega-event.
  3. Someone suggests a mega-cache type for caches that get a lot of visits.
  4. Someone suggests a historic cache type for another icon.
  5. People want to unarchive APE caches so that the icon stays available.

It's just a few pixels that show up on a computer screen. If you are really into icons you should visit Waymarking.com. Every category of waymark gets its own icon.

For me it is not really about the icon. It is more about the history of the location. Others before me have been here and seen something that I want to come see. So what if it has changed a little? it is a common place where people go and leave their mark, then move on.

I still say replacing it like any other cache does not change the idea of the APE cache.

Do you have the original cache container?

The original log book?

If you don't have those, you don't have an APE cache.

If the original owners were still active I doubt they would have much of that either. Even if they didn't it would still be an APE cache. Given that they were adopted out there is no reason that they can't come back if someone was willing to do the work and adopt the location and it met current guidelines.

The only reason not to bring them back would be at the request of the former owner, or if the former owner could not be contacted to inquire about the adoption.

Edit: Read more of the thread. My thoughts work for virtually every standard cache. You would need the unique container to recreate the hide but if you could do that they could be brought back.

Case in Point. Markwell's APE Cache. If it was archived and adopted by Joe Cacher and brought back just like Markwell did, it would be as much an APE cache as Markwell's. It was only the original owner that made it an APE cache. Not the subsequent ones. If that's not the case then there should be no such things as cache adoptions at all. Just new cache listings that just happen to be where the old one was.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I think I'm beginning to understand the rationale behind those that want the A.P.E caches unarchived. Correct me if I'm wrong on the deduction. It's not the original container or log book that makes it an A.P.E cache. It's the original coordinates where the cache was originally placed?

Which brings up the point of when some of the original containers where moved from the original coordinates they then ceased to become A.P.E caches. Correct? If not. At what point do they just become regular caches?

If say the original container was moved to new coordinates and then later the container was muggled and the owner replaced it and moved it to yet another location where it was muggled again. So the owner replaces the container and log book for the third time and moves it once more to another location. Now if this continues to happen, how many containers and log books replacements and relocations will it take before this is no longer deemed an A.P.E cache?

El Diablo

If say the original container was moved to new coordinates and then later the container was muggled and the owner replaced it and moved it to yet another location where it was muggled again. So the owner replaces the container and log book for the third time and moves it once more to another location. Now if this continues to happen, how many containers and log books replacements and relocations will it take before this is no longer deemed an A.P.E cache?

The one that was just archived was moved at least once... not sure it was put back!