Exterme Cache Catagory

team lagonda

i think this would be a fun catagory,,caches on top of highrise buildings,under water,micros under tables in first class resturants,at the very end of airport runways,under a bench in a court room,the possibilites are many and would make for exciting finding or just to watch....btw,whats your most exteme placement or find....

Edited by team lagonda

I would have to agree with the above. There could be a very fine line between looking for a geocache and looking like a possible terrorist mapping out locations for a possible 'strike'. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one who brought down the wrath of the FBI, CIA, NSA and several other federal agencies on us humble little cachers...

In short, bad idea! At least keep away from federal installations. (Airports, courthouses, police stations, etc, etc, etc)

If you follow the cache placement guidelines and get these caches approved by the landowner/manager they would be fine. However, I doubt you will get approval if you go up to a judge and ask to place a cache in the court room.

Just follow the clear guidelines and these caches should be fine.

Caches on top of a highrise building would be easy, if publicly assessable, such as on a viewing platform. Any cache that requires trespassing would either not get approved or quickly earn an SBA.

Underwater caches already exist. Some require SCUBA equipment, hiring one of the deep sea explorers, or just holding your breath.

First Class Restraunt? That would be commerical in nature. You would required to buy something to be able to log it. Hench it would not get approved. Besides, tables get moved all the time.

Airport runways? Ahh, that is an offlimit area that would get you a visit from Homeland Security. Matter of fact, a cache got into some legal issues when he found a cache on public property NEAR a runway.

Under a bench in a court room? Well, your GPSr wouldn't work indoors. Plus, do you really want to pull something out from under a bench and make the Judge and LEOs nervous?

i think this would be a fun catagory,,caches on top of highrise buildings,under water,micros under tables in first class resturants,at the very end of airport runways,under a bench in a court room,the possibilites are many and would make for exciting finding or just to watch....btw,whats your most exteme placement or find....

"Fun"??

Most of those would violate gc.com guidleines and would never be listed on the site.

Ed

"Fun"??

Most of those would violate gc.com guidleines and would never be listed on the site.

Ed

There already is a category for 'extreme' geocaches. It's called difficulty rating 5.

Runway/courtoom caches...those could only be considered 'fun' if your idea of 'fun' also includes rides in police cars with those shiny steel bracelets on, police interrogations, and a criminal record.

Caches on the bottom of a lake are extreme. Caches on the side of a cliff are extreme. Caches on the bottom side of an old abandoned railroad trestle are extreme. Try those.

A lot of the types of hides which you propose would engender major legal isues and also MAJOR violation-of-common-sense issues as well, and might get you arrested to boot. However, there are PLENTY of truly extreme caches in the geocaching world, all of which are fully approved by geocaching.com reviewers and found by cache hunters every day. These extreme caches will usually bear a Terrain rating of 4.5 or higher, and the more extreme ones will often feature several paragraphs of warnings and disliamers on the cache listing page. The warnings will usually involve a reasonably complete disclosure of known hazards and challenges, along with a listing ot the skills and gear needed to safely complete the cache, and overall, the hunt may involve any of the following to find the cache:

• B) reaching an island in a swift river by boat or swimming
    :D using SCUBA or snorkeling gear to reach an underwater cache
    B) climbing a steep cliff with climbing gear
    B) descending a cliff with climbing gear
    :D crawling deep into a cave
    :D crawling deep into storm drain systems under a city
    B) crawling on your back deep into a storm drain pipe which is barely wider than your shoulders (with your arms in front of you), and into which anyone with a waist size larger than 34 cannot even fit, with your arms straight out beyond your head, wiggling like a snake for locomotion
    B) retrieving a magnetic keyholder cache placed 32 feet up a lamppost at a busy intersection in the middle of town
    B) retrieving a magnetic keyholder cache placed 45 feet up a highway lamppost along a lonely highway.
    :P crawling, with safety gear, on the ironwork under an abandoned railroad bridge over a river gorge
    :P crawling, with safety gear, on the concrete pillars and arches under an abandoned highway bridge over a river
    :P wading or swimming 150 yards thru a very smelly sewage overflow pond to retrieve a cache buried in the stinky sludge
    :P hiking 200 yards into an unremediated EPA-listed Superfund toxic waste site filled with thick greasy mud, while wearing a protective Tyvek bunny suit and self-contained breathing (SCBA) apparatus, to retrieve a cache. Worse, venturing in without the protective gear.
    :) entering a "sanitary" sewage drain pipe filled with toxic gases (mosly ammonia and hydrogen sulfide), wearing a protective Tyvek bunny suit and self-contained breathing (SCBA) apparatus, to retrieve a cache
    :D encountering an abandoned concrete water tank 20 feet tall -- with sheer vertical concrete walls and no ladders or handholds -- in the middle of a forest, after fording a river and climbing a steep cliff to reach the site, and now the task is to somehow safely scale the sheer outside wall of the tank and then (safely) descend the inside wall 22 feet into the weedy abandoned interior to find the cache therein.
    :blink: hiking up a bear-infested mountain to a rattlesnake den/rock pile at the top, wherein lies the geocache
    :P approaching a street corner in an ghetto-like urban "blight" area heavily populated with street corner drug dealers and other urban street personalities, all to retrieve a magnetic keyholder cache mounted under a pay phone, the same pay phone used by the drug dealers and pimps for their trade calls.

A number of extreme geocaches with which we are personally acquainted are listed on one of our public bookmark lists, named

Extreme and Adventure Caches. Feel free to browse the list, although it is far from all-inclusive. There are many more which I have not even heard about!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
.....at the very end of airport runways,......

Whoa, dude!! :blink: All legal issues aside, have you ever been around a 5+ foot diameter set of steel blades spinning at the speed of death and sucking air?? Much less attached to a large, heavy, object moving upwards of 80mph or faster??? And the possibility of a pilot who can't see over the nose too good and doesn't have enough time to pull out??? Roadkill takes on a whole new meaning. That would definitely qualify as a runway incursion. :P

the runway thing i was thinkin of was,remember that movie where wayne an garth would lay on thir backs on the hood of thier car a hundred feet or so from the end of a runway an watch the jets fly right over them?another good one would be in a calm portion of a river on a tiny island of a river used in white water rafting.another might be have a muti somewhere where could only do at night..i golf sometimes an i thought about pulling the cup out of a hole and putting in a micro an putting the cup back in on top but i guess you have to pay to play golf so would be against forum law..

Edited by team lagonda

:D crawling deep into storm drain systems under a city - did it :P

:P crawling on your back deep into a storm drain pipe which is barely wider than your shoulders (with your arms in front of you), and into which anyone with a waist size larger than 34 cannot even fit, with your arms straight out beyond your head, wiggling like a snake for locomotion - did it :P

:P retrieving a magnetic keyholder cache placed 32 feet up a lamppost at a busy intersection in the middle of town - did it (well, actually had Chad do it) :P

:D crawling, with safety gear, on the ironwork under an abandoned railroad bridge over a river gorge - have a feeling we're going to end up doing this :o

:D crawling, with safety gear, on the concrete pillars and arches under an abandoned highway bridge over a river - have a feeling we're going to do this one also :o

:D wading or swimming 150 yards thru a very smelly sewage overflow pond to retrieve a cache buried in the stinky sludge - have a feeling we're going to do this one also :(

:lol: hiking 200 yards into an unremediated EPA-listed Superfund toxic waste site filled with thick greasy mud, while wearing a protective Tyvek bunny suit and self-contained breathing (SCBA) apparatus, to retrieve a cache. Worse, venturing in without the protective gear. - tried to get Chad into the bunny suit, but he said it made him look silly! :P:P

:P entering a "sanitary" sewage drain pipe filled with toxic gases (mosly ammonia and hydrogen sulfide), wearing a protective Tyvek bunny suit and self-contained breathing (SCBA) apparatus, to retrieve a cache - same as above :D

Waiting for the next "Psycho" cache. Bring 'em on! :D

:P retrieving a magnetic keyholder cache placed 32 feet up a lamppost at a busy intersection in the middle of town - did it (well, actually had Chad do it) :lol:

Folks, the REALLY SAD part about LPYankeefan's post is that it is true, and worse, that the "Chad" to whom he lightly refers in "...we had Chad do it...", well, "Chad" is his four-year old son. When the poor kid asked: "But, daddy, what if I fall while I am climbing the lamppost?", LPYankeefan, ever the caring dad, replied "Don't worry kid -- if you fall, the sidewalk will catch you!" :P:D:D:D:o:o

Larry, a bit more seriously, I am afraid that my next Psycho Urban Cache may be so sick and so extreme that no one may ever log a find. Even Donbadabon and GoGayleGo paled when they heard a description of some of the stages. I hope to finesse it and get it approved within the next couple of months!