Official Geocoin Maker

Ladycacher

As I was sitting here bored with no coins to buy, so I started to surf the coin websites for updates, new coins, etc. I noticed that a few sites are claiming to be "Official Geocoin Maker".

My question is:

Is there a Official? Did one of these sites get rights to be called that or can they just say it? Does that I mean I can be a Official Coin Maker (if I wanted)?

I figured why not ask...we need something new to talk about....

I don't believe that the term "geocoin" is a trademarked term owned by Groundspeak.  If I am wrong about, there are alot of us out there that could be financially liable. 

My guess is that anyone could potentially be "official".

It is actually a little less vague than that. From the http://www.coinsandpins.com site:

We are official coin/pin makers for:

Geocaching.com 

TravelerTags.com 

Note that geocoin wasn't used, and "The" was not used.

I don't believe that the term "geocoin" is a trademarked term owned by Groundspeak.  If I am wrong about, there are alot of us out there that could be financially liable. 

It is actually a little less vague than that. From the http://www.coinsandpins.com site:

Geocaching.com 

TravelerTags.com 

You are right!

It says:

We are official coin/pin makers for: Geocaching.com

Oak Coins website says:

Official Geocoin Maker

Geocaching.com 

TravelerTags.com 

You are right!

It says:

Oak Coins website says:

Official Geocoin Maker

So, does that make one more or less official than the other?

Geocaching.com 

TravelerTags.com 

You are right!

It says:

Oak Coins website says:

Official Geocoin Maker

The one that has permission to say who declared them official seems more official to me. :blink:

Geocaching.com 

TravelerTags.com 

You are right!

It says:

Oak Coins website says:

Official Geocoin Maker

The one that has permission to say who declared them official seems more official to me. :P

But who has permission? :blink:

Geocaching.com 

TravelerTags.com 

You are right!

It says:

Oak Coins website says:

Official Geocoin Maker

The one that has permission to say who declared them official seems more official to me. :P

But who has permission? :blink:

Would they be listed in the thread I linked to earlier if they didn't have permission? I took it to mean all the ones listed had permission. I could be wrong though.

Does this mean in order for a State geocoin to be an official State geocoin it has to be minted by an official geocoin minter?

OOO see.....now we have something.....

(this thread is entertaining me today let me tell you)

(I am easily entertained)

:blink:

(I need to find something else to do today)

putting my oakcoins hat on.

We asked Groundspeak if we could use their logo and put 'Official Geocoin Maker' for Groundspeak. What that means is, we will interface with Groundspeak for you to get your design approved for tracking and logo use.

Hope that helps :blink:.

nielsenc/Christian

So that is what coinsandpins does too......So there is two of you so far that is "official".

Thanks for the info!!

We asked Groundspeak if we could use their logo and put 'Official Geocoin Maker' for Groundspeak. What that means is, we will interface with Groundspeak for you to get your design approved for tracking and logo use.

nielsenc/Christian

So that is what coinsandpins does too......So there is two of you so far that is "official".

Thanks for the info!!

I took it to mean that Coins and Pins mints the USA Geocoins (and possible TB tags) sold by Groundspeak/geocaching.com and tags sold by travlertags.com.

But I could be wrong on this.

nielsenc/Christian

Thanks for the info!!

I took it to mean that Coins and Pins mints the USA Geocoins (and possible TB tags) sold by Groundspeak/geocaching.com and tags sold by travlertags.com.

But I could be wrong on this.

I seriously doubt that either of those things are true.

What coins and pins does do, is wholesale the tracking numbers for PC prefixes.

I didn't realize that Oak Coins had the gc logo along with the phrase posted. Cool!

As I was sitting here bored with no coins to buy, so I started to surf the coin websites for updates, new coins, etc. I noticed that a few sites are claiming to be "Official Geocoin Maker".

My question is:

Is there a Official? Did one of these sites get rights to be called that or can they just say it? Does that I mean I can be a Official Coin Maker (if I wanted)?

I figured why not ask...we need something new to talk about....

Its about as official as Geocaching.com being the "The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site" :blink::P

What nielsenc said above is correct. I believe there are 4 of us now that are "official" and have agreed to Groundspeaks guidelines for the usage of their logo and bug numbers. If you look at the recently released geocoin policy there are four links to places to have coins made.

I have never heard anything about the term "geocoin" being copyrighted and with it's ubiquitous usage I don't think that is likely.

No. But there are some sites that know of and apperently agreed to the Groundspeak rules for making gc.com trackable coins. See this list.

I doubt it.

Yes, since 'offical' tends to means nothing espeically in geocaching. If you want to find the offica coin maker, figure which one everyone uses and thats the one :lol: .

If we really wanted to have some fun, we can always take this thread to the next "technical" level of the reality abyss... :lol:

Of all of the "Official Geocoin Makers" out there, how many have of the them have actually EVER made a geocoin?

I would wager that the "true" "official geocoin makers" have names that us westerners cannot even begin to pronounce let alone type out on a keyboard. ;)

QUOTE (pdxmarathonman @ Dec 19 2005, 02:36 PM)

A commercial site that lists another commercial site as having declared them official (which Oak Coins has not done), darn well better have permission to say so! 

I just now seen your guy as a hat on! Awesome!

I need a hat for my hippo! :lol:

A quick search of he US Governments Trademark Site shows:

Word Mark GEOCOIN

Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 006. US 002 012 013 014 023 025 050. G & S: Medallions for collecting, trading, and leaving in a geocache.

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Design Search Code

Serial Number 78113951

Filing Date March 11, 2002

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) (Personal Info Removed

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

Abandonment Date February 10, 2003

I do not know why the attempted registration was abandoned. As far as I'm concerned, the person entitled to a trademark on the term would be Moun10Bike, since he's the one that started this madness.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

A quick search of he US Governments Trademark Site shows:

Word Mark GEOCOIN

Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 006. US 002 012 013 014 023 025 050. G & S: Medallions for collecting, trading, and leaving in a geocache.

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Design Search Code

Serial Number 78113951

Filing Date March 11, 2002

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

Abandonment Date February 10, 2003

I do not know why the attempted registration was abandoned. As far as I'm concerned, the person entitled to a trademark on the term would be Moun10Bike, since he's the one that started this madness.

Abandonment - Failure To Respond Or Late Response

thats what the file says is the reason.

Also, from the pinned thread:

2. There is a 1,000 number minimum purchase required for Organizations and a 500 number minimum purchase required for Personal Geocoins. (Note that some of the coin manufacturers listed below have purchased blocks of numbers for resale in smaller quantities). These numbers may be split between coins but each individual coin design must be approved prior to production.

5. The following coin manufacturers are familiar with our geocoin policies and can assist you with other details. If you contact them, they can provide you with pricing and art samples.

coinsandpins.com

coinsforanything.com

personalgeocoins.com

www.oakcoins.com

www.thecachingplace.com

Perhaps the official ones are the ones who bought blocks of numbers?

Now that personal coins can have their own icon, can these also be purchased in smaller quantities, or will one have to purchase 500 to get a special icon?

2. There is a 1,000 number minimum purchase required for Organizations and a 500 number minimum purchase required for Personal Geocoins. (Note that some of the coin manufacturers listed below have purchased blocks of numbers for resale in smaller quantities). These numbers may be split between coins but each individual coin design must be approved prior to production.

Edited by Eartha
Now that personal coins can have their own icon, can these also be purchased in smaller quantities, or will one have to purchase 500 to get a special icon?

Is that a yes or a no? :laughing:

Before the change, I could buy 250 numbers thru coinsandpins and have the PCent icon. Can I now buy 250 and get a custom icon?

Edited by SeventhSon

I was also wondering how the custom icon would be assigned/approved in this situation, which isn't answered in Eartha's prior post.

I was curious about this and asked my coin maker. If I understood him correctly, if you have a run of 500 or more GC trackable coins, you can apply for your own personal icon at cost of $150. The icon and request still have to be emailed in and approved. I believe I have that correct, Eartha, please correct me if I am wrong.

Friv

Sorry, I mis-read the question. I thought they wanted to know if they could buy smaller quantities.

From the pinned thread:

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and, now, Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

(Moderator note: it doesn't mention the number of coins here)

then it says:

Cost and Details:

1. The cost per tracking number is US $1.50 and can be paid via paypal or credit card.

So the way I understand it you have to buy 500 coins (of the personal variety) from Groundspeak if you want tracking numbers. You can order smaller quantities from the manufacturer, but I'll have to look into whether or not someone can get an icon for a smaller quantity. If you want to buy the icon it's another $150.00 on top of the coin purchase. I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can. With the holidays coming up, it might take a few days. As Jeremy says "I'm working on it"