Can't Edit Cache After Archiving It

BalkanSabranje

It was changed because of abuse, and the fact that once it is archived it is effectively deleted from the system.

How can it be deleted as long as it is still viewable? :blink:B)

And you won't tell us how one can use the archiving function for abuse, will you? B):P

Well, why did you want to edit it?

It was changed because of abuse, and the fact that once it is archived it is effectively deleted from the system.

How can it be deleted as long as it is still viewable? :blink:B)

And you won't tell us how one can use the archiving function for abuse, will you? B):P

I think the abuse he is referring to is the fact you can log a smiley on a archived cache.

I feel like rembering that I was able to edit my archived caches; now it's not possible anymore.

Do I remember right, and if so, why has this been changed?

TIA,

BalkanSabranje

Yes it used to be possiable to edit your archived caches, but they changed that a while ago.. a year or more I think.

Basically when you archive a cache listing, it shouldn't be there, and nothing on the page that matters so there's not point in editing it. Its annoying sometimes since I'd like to try and copy html stuff from one cache to another to reuse or modifiy and reuse.

Best I can figure this change was in hopes that owners wouldn't damage the 'history' of a past cache by changing the page?? I don't know the offical reasoning... Maybe Jeremy knows? :blink:

Please provide a reason why you would need to edit an archived listing.

Multiple possible reasons:

* Easier use of the HTML-code for another cache (as welch already pointed out)

* Correction of errors (typos etc.)

* Hiding of spoilers usable for other caches

* Complete reuse of puzzles for another cache

* Rearranging caches in series so that they fit to the layout of the other caches

etc. etc.

When there was still the option to "not show" an archived cache, this was not so much of a problem, but since they all show, you sometimes have to rearrange them to fit to your actual "impression management".

;):lol::P

Here's one reason why not to allow editing of  an archived cache.

I still don't get it. If the cache description belongs to the owner why can't he edit it? Don't' tell me it's for the "history" as you can move a cache a couple hundred feet and change the clues, hints, whatever, and very nearly make it a different hunt. It is no longer historically accurate. Yes, moving a cache is the right thing to do in some cases especially when cache maintenance issues arise.

I guess it comes down to who's rights are more important, the cache owner or the finders?

EDIT: Wow! How many mistakes can one make in a single post? ~sheesh~

Edited by CoyoteRed

I can tell you why, at least in my case.

I fully admit that I "Snuck in the backdoor" on this one at a time when you could edit an archived cache. I wanted to provide something that, at the time I could not in any other way.

I allowed this to run for one full year, then emailed my Reviewer (who was unaware of what I did, since he/she was not reviewing at the time I did it) and I requested a LOCK placed on it.

2004 Calendar Cache

I altered that page in early 2003 just to be ready for the end of the year.

In today's caching world, this is not needed since you can place Mystery Caches that require you to visit other caches to find them. I would never dream of doing this now.

Doing so corrupts the data, and removes part of the memory for the finders. What if someone wanted to tell someone about the cache that Eric-88 listed in his post? "Hey check out this great cache I did last year", or "Here's an example of ....." only to get the description listed now?

There might have been a very valid reason for archiving that someone else might learn from (land dispute comes to mind, or frequent 'muggling') and that should remain for referrence.

So if you want to edit a cache page, do it before you archive it and be sure of the content you are adding/removing since people will expect to see the same data as when they found it.

As for copying the HTML, consider saving a .TXT version of your caches for east referrence. I save a copy called "End of Cache Description" to add in all the extra info like local weather links, maintenance date, and message from me (Put it back where you found it) etc.

Doing so corrupts the data, and removes part of the memory for the finders.  What if someone wanted to tell someone about the cache that Eric-88 listed in his post?  "Hey check out this great cache I did last year", or "Here's an example of ....." only to get the description listed now?

There might have been a very valid reason for archiving that someone else might learn from (land dispute comes to mind, or frequent 'muggling') and that should remain for referrence.

Ok, but how does this protect the cache page if they throw a tantrum BEFORE they archive the listing? Or for that matter, anything interesting or helpful that were in the logs or notes.

Surely there must be some other reason for locking archived cache pages?

As for copying the HTML, consider saving a .TXT version of your caches for east referrence. I save a copy called "End of Cache Description" to add in all the extra info like local weather links, maintenance date, and message from me (Put it back where you found it) etc.

Yes or you could just copy the html of anything complex into a test page to save for later. But it would be easier be to copy it directly. Its annoying that you can not do this, but not super important.

It just seems if the idea is to protect the cache pages look/history, preventing editing of an archived page doesn't do the job very well. There must be a better reason for its use. So far the best explaintion is its to try and prevent people from converting old pages into other caches / or parts of other caches like your 04 Calendar cache.

Edited by welch
So if you want to edit a cache page, do it before you archive it and be sure of the content you are adding/removing since people will expect to see the same data as when they found it.

If you can still get to the archived page, Firefox will allow you to view the source code, copy it, and reuse it elsewhere. Just highlight the section you're interested in, right click, and the source will pop up with the appropriate section already highlighted.

I thought IE had a similar capability, but I KNOW Firefox does - I just used it this morning to steal some HTML from one of our archived caches.

welch  Posted on Dec 20 2005, 07:07 AM

(The Blue Quasar @ Dec 20 2005, 07:01 AM)

Doing so corrupts the data, and removes part of the memory for the finders.  What if someone wanted to tell someone about the cache that Eric-88 listed in his post?  "Hey check out this great cache I did last year", or "Here's an example of ....." only to get the description listed now?

Ok, but how does this protect the cache page if they throw a tantrum BEFORE they archive the listing? Or for that matter, anything interesting or helpful that were in the logs or notes.

Surely there must be some other reason for locking archived cache pages?

This doesn't prevent people altering the active pages, no. And your right, people could edit to say whatever they want... I would hope that 'locals' would catch that and request an Archive if it was offensive. Those being in the public eye should should be Pro-Geocaching. But preventing Archived caches from being edited prevents from altered after it's gone... and not being seen until something happens that might be perceived as bad content.

Even if a nasty cache description gets posted AFTER reviewing of a decent one, it gets addressed and corrected. Even if they turn around and Archived it right after editing, someone is watching it, and Groundspeak could say "It was Archived, and the content reflects why."

I don't really know a valid reason to prevent editing of Archived Caches, but I don't know of a valid one to allow it either. If you need to edit your cache page for a valid reason, it should be done pre-archived. If you must do it after the fact, you should need a Reviewer to do it.

Just my opinion

:blink: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

My 2 cents on this issue is that the cache owner should be able to edit an archived cache. The scenario where this would be needed was if a cache was archived by a reviewer for some reason, and the cache owner wanted to modify it to get it re-activated. You can't just have then move it to disabled because the listing would be publically viewable and may still violate some rule.

The scenario where this would be needed was if a cache was archived by a reviewer for some reason, and the cache owner wanted to modify it to get it re-activated.

If that's the case then the reviewer can retract (un-publish) it.

For permanent archives, its best to lock everything down. I've seen too many cases of abuse, which I won't get into here. Don't want to give anyone ideas ;)