Viewing Gps On Laptop

Nick_T

Got an ETrex Legend, and just got me a laptop. Seen where you could view the GPS screen on the laptop monitor, but have no clue what software, if any, that I need to do this. I've got the serial cable to hook the GPS to the laptop, so what do I need and what next?

Thanks,

Nick T

I don't believe that it is possible to view the screen of a GPSr on a laptop screen. The software that I have seen and read about uses the GPSr as an antenna and then displays your location via mapping software such as MS streets and trips, Delorme, MS Mappoint and several others. I'm not even sure as to why you'd want to display the GPSr's screen on the laptop even if you could. These other products provide so much info and in high resolution that they blow the GPSr screen into the woods..............so to speak. LOL ;-)

I think you may be talking about an emulator. It is possible, but as Cotati said...why?

But that's not why we're here.

My connection is kind of slow, so I can't dole out links...but do a google search for GarminSimulator and you should come up with a few results that will let you see the GPS screen on your laptop.

-Ed-