Pda ? Palm Tungsten

The E model has tons of capability. I run paperless with an older M515.

Would recommend GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to store your caches to on your computer, and then Cachemate for your palm. With cachemate, I run around with ~1700 caches at any one time. Others will pop up shortly, I'm sure.

I run with a Tungsten E. I also use GASK and Cachemate. I use an Otterbox to keep a couple of pens, spare batteries, my car key fob, and my Palm in while I'm caching. I geenerally keep only about 200 caches in the palm. If I need the photos on the cache pages, I save them to my PC and then load them into my Palm desktop software for hotsyncing into the PDA where I have an album for cache-related pics.

As another poster suggested, If you are shopping for a Palm device just for caching, there are cheaper alternatives (older models) out there that will work just as well if you don't need all the other features. Before it died I used a Palm IIIxe and those can be gotten pretty cheaply these days. I went to a newer model because I also use my device for work. If you want cheaper and coloer, you could look for the Palm IIIc.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yep, like the folks above said. GSAK and Cachemate can't be beat. Prices are right, also. Love Cachemate on my Palm Tungsten T3. Only one thing to add: You may need some expanded memory (not sure what is built-in in your "E"). I have a 512MB SD card in my T3, and can put LOTS of caches and benchmarks in it, with room left for some music, too. I usually have hundreds of different caches (in different areas I hike), and thousands of benchmark descriptions.

I also use an Tungsten E, GSAK, and Cachemate. I have a leather case for my palm and it stays in a pocket of my photo vest until I need it. Most people like hard shell cases, but I've carried a palm pilot for a few years and never had a problem. A few hints.

1. Never put your Palm down while you are digging around for or in a cache. Take the time to put it in a pocket. A little bump could knock it off into a pile of leaves and cause you all kinds of headaches tring to find it.

2. Get a car power adapter so you can recharge on the fly.

3. Unless you are traveling, I don't think you need more than 500 unfound caches in your palm. But thats up to you. I use GSAK to divide up the caches into terrain difficulties. Under 2, 2-2.5, and 3 +. So depending on my mood I can search in Cachemate for just a certain terrain range.

4. Update your unfound caches each week.

-maylith

I would steer clear of the Tungsten "E" series. They routinely get broken screens (I believe they are the only pda's still in production with glass digitizers). The other models in the Tungsten line are thicker and better built. If you don't believe me, go to ebay and do a search for "Tungsten E repair."

I'll echo the Tungsten E complaint. I have a dead one and the repair costs more than buying a cheaper replacement. I am glad to hear that other models don't have this issue.

If you do plan on lugging a lot of cache descriptions with you (i.e. more than 500) then you should look at a unit that has an SD card slot. I lug about 8000 cache descriptions around with me (because I can and I have it all automated). They are parceled into regions along highways throughout California, generally a few hundred at a time. This allows me the flexibility to change destination at any point during a cacherun. This can be very useful if you are out and see nasty weather coming. Or if traffic is backed up on the freeway to where I'm headed - I just go somewhere where not so many others are going. It's quite liberating to do it this way.