I Found A Benchmark Not In The System!

fishingdude720

Congratulations! It's fun coming across something like that, isn't it?

To answer your question, please read the topic pinned to the top of this forum, the one that says "Me first--Read before you post". It talks about benchmarks that aren't in the Gc.com database, and includes links to the benchmark FAQ on Gc.com, and to the new Waymarking.com site, where you can log a mark that isn't in the Gc.com database.

You mentioned maybe looking at the USGS website (which, unfortunately, does not have a benchmark database), so I assume it was one of theirs you found? Where was it?

Patty

Possibly the most weird example of a benchmark that's not in the data base:

Station 'ELKS' (Set in 1909)

Location: Mounted flush in the cement front porch of the North Carolina Geodetic Survey office in Raleigh, NC.

Watch for it soon on the Waymarking site. :P

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

I found a 'Benchmark' disc, U.S. Department of Interior Geological Survey with a triangle with a '+' in the center. In has an 'ELEV.' label with no data and is stamped '58 WPR 1965' below the triangle.

I believe (I am new to this) it is marked on the USGS Topo, Michigan, South Branch Quad as 'BM 921' I think the 921 is the elevation. The coordinates are -083.86568, 44.48382

I looked in the NGS Datasheet database, but could not find it. There is a nearby benchmark, '59 WPR' in the NGS database as well as the Geocaching.com benchmark database. Should this be in both the NGS and GC databases?

I would like to log it in the GC database.

Recommendations: The "Me First" thread pinned at the top of the page. That has answers to many questions that come up repeatedly. And if they are not in that thread, there is a link within it to the FAQ page where many more answers await.

Happy Hunting!

Possibly the most weird example of a benchmark that's not in the data base:

Station 'ELKS' (Set in 1909)

Location:  Mounted flush in the cement front porch of the North Carolina Geodetic Survey office in Raleigh, NC.

Hey, Paul, you think it's weird that a benchmark at a *state* geodetic survey office isn't in the database, let me tell you about the ones at a certain federal survey office (which shall remain nameless) in Menlo Park, California. I know of at least four survey marks and reference marks there (one of the reference marks is actually a block or so off-campus), and none of them are in the NGS database! Go figure!!

Patty

Some markers are not Benchmarks at all. They may look the same with same type of inscription however, they may be ROW markers "Right of Way". They are placed as survey control points by various agencys such as the department of transportation, utility companies,etc...

I was the consultant for the SCDOT realignment and drainage project involving the entrance to Lander University. We placed 7 of the markers and you would think they were benchmarks if you saw them.

Digbug:

If there is another benchmark nearby, you can recover it and make reference to the unlisted mark in the remarks. (Not really useful unless there is something really unique about the unlisted find.)

The alternative is to use the Waymarking web site, where a special section has been established specifically to log disks which are not in GEOCACHING.COM.

Best regards,

-Paul-

Edited to correct link. (Thanks, Bill!)

Edited by PFF

fishingdude720 - If you got the coordinates of the disk with your GPS receiver and took a closeup picture, you can log your disk here on the Waymarking site for U.S. benchmarks that aren't in the database.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Now I know what to do with those unlisted accidental benchmark finds.

Edit: Just posted 2 new CalTrans benchmarks for potential waymarks.

Edited by Team Sagefox