Compass For Newbie

congaman

You might want to check out the Buying A Compass, Need Advice thread from a few days ago.

That thread tends towards higher end devices. All the OP (or nearly anyone for that matter) really needs is a simple baseplate model. Any compass from one of the respected manufacturers (Brunton, Silva & Suunto) for $10-$20 should do the job.

A good example of what I'm referring to is this one.

You might want to check out the Buying A Compass, Need Advice thread from a few days ago.

That thread tends towards higher end devices. All the OP (or nearly anyone for that matter) really needs is a simple baseplate model. Any compass from one of the respected manufacturers (Brunton, Silva & Suunto) for $10-$20 should do the job.

A good example of what I'm referring to is this one.

That thread seems to be full of "compass-snobs" LOL :D

Like I'm dropping $100+ on a compass when 99.999% of the caches I find do not even require a compass (I have used a compass exactly once in 700+ caches, and even that wasn't really nessesary).

If you think you need a compass, go to Wal-Mart and you will find several acceptable compasses for less than $20.

Depends on what your are doing with the compass. Orienteering, travelling, surveying or just occaisional geocahcing use? Look into many different types and learn what the features of each do. Don't be out with the wrong tool. Basic baseplate compasses generally do not have an adjustment for declination(difference between true and magnetic north)critical for map navigation. Some don't even have the right scales along their edge for the maps you have. For fairly precise travel in wild areas you should have a sighting compass and KNOW how to use it. I teach kids basic orienteering with baseplate compasses. I guide trips with a mirror sighting compass.

Edited by bobbarley