Sync Gsak Between Machines

Pez Tonto

I've got a home machine on which I use GSAK and S&T. I am contemplating investing in a cheap laptop to take on the road with me. I would like to synchronize environments between these machines including GSAK databases, settings, macros, etc; Pocket Query files; S&T route and map files; etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tools or tips to help with this kind of thing.

Synchronizing GSAK in this manner is easy - do a database backup on one machine, restore that backup on the other machine. I use a 512MB USB keychain drive to store my GSAK backup; that way it's with me whether I've got my laptop or my desktop machine.

Backing up the rest can be done in the same way - just put everything on a USB drive and then you'll have it there regardless of machine.

I have auto backup turned on in my GSAK so every time I shut it down it soes a backup. That backup goes to (on my machine) C:\Program Files\GSAK\Backup\GSAKAuto1.zip

Whenever I want to synch up my data I just copy that file to my keychain drive or my Yahoo briefcase (whichever I have available) and then copy it to my other machine later and do a restore (sometimes all data bases, sometimes only selected databases - depending on the situation).

Synchronizing GSAK in this manner is easy - do a database backup on one machine, restore that backup on the other machine. I use a 512MB USB keychain drive to store my GSAK backup; that way it's with me whether I've got my laptop or my desktop machine.

Backing up the rest can be done in the same way - just put everything on a USB drive and then you'll have it there regardless of machine.

Yup... works perfectly... as long as you have GSAK installed exactly the same on both machines.

My laptop only has a C drive, but on my desktop I've got GSAK installed on drive D; with the rest of my applications (Only system files go on C).

I have to make sure that I only restore Databases and filters... not the settings.