Geocoins In Cache?

OmniCitadel

Geocoins in geocaches? Are you kidding? No way. These things stay nice and neat in our respectable hiding places where not even our children can touch them, and every night, we kneel down before our horde of coins and pray to the gods of bronze, silver, and gold that we won't miss a sale that might be put out in the middle of the night.

Nope. They don't belong in geocaches. . . .

:rolleyes:

The icons, my friend, the icons.

It is all about the icons. (Just like it is all about the numbers.)

Some of the last events I have attended have turned into nothing more than an icon (geocoin) swap.

And I am guilty as charged.

I agree its all about the icons. I have a geoscrew coin as well. Just like you in my profile I have a screw icon under my items owned list...yet I dont have an screw icon under my found list. If you would like to trade info perhaps we both can add an icon to our found list :rolleyes:

Geocoins in geocaches? Are you kidding? No way. These things stay nice and neat in our respectable hiding places where not even our children can touch them, and every night, we kneel down before our horde of coins and pray to the gods of bronze, silver, and gold that we won't miss a sale that might be put out in the middle of the night.

I play with mine.

Some I keep. Some I swap. The keepers are pocket pieces. I carry them to school and share them with my students and others. I have introduced several people to caching for sure, maybe to coins as well. I like a sexy piece of metal in my hands. That's what my coins are all about.

The icons are cool too, but they get sticky and run in my pockets. :rolleyes:

Nope.  They don't belong in geocaches. . . .

:unsure:

Please speak only for your brave home country.. here in Europe they mostly travel from cache to cache with great success..

Every time I see a post like this I want to reply with some snappy defense of the once-great USA. But then I remember my TB that made an escape to the Netherlands and has been happily travelling around Europe far longer than the TBs that weren't lucky enough to get across the pond.

:rolleyes:

When I leave my personal geocoins in caches I leave a note that says it can be kept or moved.

I'm working on a "TFTC" ("Thanks for the Cache") geocoin that I'm hoping to sell at or below $5 (including shipping) that people can leave as a thanks for cool caches...my thinking is that you log that you left the coin when you find a great cache to leave it in, and when somebody takes the coin there are instructions to place it in a great cache that they find...a nice way to spread positive geo-karma...

Sure some would disappear, but some wouldn't...

I like finding and leaving geocoins in caches, but I also appreciate the collectors' mentality, as some are really beautiful...I like to buy/trade for coins that I am going to keep, and to move coins I find in caches to other caches...but that's how I play...

jamie

I'm working on a "TFTC" ("Thanks for the Cache") geocoin that I'm hoping to sell at or below $5 (including shipping) that people can leave as a thanks for cool caches...my thinking is that you log that you left the coin when you find a great cache to leave it in, and when somebody takes the coin there are instructions to place it in a great cache that they find...a nice way to spread positive geo-karma...

Great idea NFA

John

Nope. They don't belong in geocaches. . . .

:D

I put coins in caches. I have put other cachers coins in caches. All the coins I have put out are trackable, somewhere. Most have moved at least once. I also am creating a coin book to share with others at events.

So I believe coins do belong in caches. And trackable is the way to go. IMHO.

I like NFAs idea and would be proud to find and move one (or buy and place some). When I put a coin in a cache, it is usually because I thought it was a great cache, or was a landmark cache for me. (FTF, first in snow, first in state, WOW factor, etc)

Please put out more coins. I for one will move them from place to place. I buy the coins I want to keep in my book.

One of the reasons I got my personal coins made was so that I could drop some of them in caches. However I also dont' tell anyone what caches I have dropped them in because I know there would be an effort by some people to head right for that cache to get the coin. It's much nicer when someone who isn't expecting it comes across the coin.

One of the reasons I got my personal coins made was so that I could drop some of them in caches. However I also dont' tell anyone what caches I have dropped them in because I know there would be an effort by some people to head right for that cache to get the coin. It's much nicer when someone who isn't expecting it comes across the coin.

I herd of a person who watches caches so they can grab the coin and sell it on an auction site. I have thought about not telling either, just leaving a note in the cache, but the town I live in doesn't get many cachers.

For those of you who drone on about coins never being put in caches and always disappering, it so happens I found Three coins yesterday while out caching. I wasn't even targeting them. I had no idea they were in the caches I found them in until I poped open the ammo can.

One was even an icon State coin. And they've been out for a while. Two had 1300 miles and one had 3400. And each had dozens of logs. There out there if you just sign off the forums and go caching.

USA Geocoin

Yet Another Geocoin Jr

The Treasure Hunters Maryland Geocoin

For those of you who drone on about coins never being put in caches and always disappering, it so happens I found Three coins yesterday while out caching. I wasn't even targeting them. I had no idea they were in the caches I found them in until I poped open the ammo can.

One was even an icon State coin.  And they've been out for a while. Two had 1300 miles and one had 3400.  And each had dozens of logs.  There out there if you just sign off the forums and go caching.

USA Geocoin

Yet Another Geocoin Jr

The Treasure Hunters Maryland Geocoin 

That's awesome! Ahhh... just in time for Christmas too... my faith is restored in my fellow coin loving cachers. B) Or perhaps they just didn't find the cache in time? :o

One of the reasons I got my personal coins made was so that I could drop some of them in caches.  However I also dont' tell anyone what caches I have dropped them in because I know there would be an effort by some people to head right for that cache to get the coin.  It's much nicer when someone who isn't expecting it comes across the coin.

I herd of a person who watches caches so they can grab the coin and sell it on an auction site. I have thought about not telling either, just leaving a note in the cache, but the town I live in doesn't get many cachers.

That just sucks and is wrong Geocoins are ment to travel and not be sold on ebay!!