Geocaching Flashlight?

stahlpower

Ummm maybe I'm wrong about this (and I have on my flame proof undies) but I thought this geo-stuff was supposed to be kinda on the down-low...you know, stealthy!

Isn't it kinda hard to sneak around in the dark w/ a billion candle-power-watt-ever flashlight torching the leaves off the trees?

Matt :)

Ummm maybe I'm wrong about this (and I have on my flame proof undies) but I thought this geo-stuff was supposed to be kinda on the down-low...you know, stealthy!

Isn't it kinda hard to sneak around in the dark w/ a billion candle-power-watt-ever flashlight torching the leaves off the trees?

Matt ;)

Then how do you explain this cache. See the light! :)

Ben :lol:

Edited by Mystery Ink
(I do not care for LED lights, there is not one made that perfoms as well as a real flashlight)

You have obviously not seen any of Surefire's LED lights.

If read my entire my post you would have seen that I have sold Sure Fire lights and Princtontec lights.

Why would anyone want to buy a $95.00 flashlight that will not out perform a Princetonted Tec 40 dive light that sells for about $17.00 and that use cheap AA batteries insted of the 123 batteries that sell for $15.00 a pair.

Its all depends on your use for a flashlight. I too thought the same thing about those high dollar lights but im starting to change my views a bit. I still cant see paying the big bucks for something like that for recreational use but for dependability in critical situations, they have their place.

As i said above, i love the throw and brightness on the UltraStinger,, you can hurt man and/or beast if needed (by blinding or using as a club), but for caching its something thats definitely not needed or really all that useful because of the short runtime.

My favorite to use while caching is the Lighwave 3000. It doesnt have a long throw but it's bright enough to tromp around in the dark woods with and ordinary alkaline 3C batteries last forever in it. Ive had it for over two years and ive replaced the batteries only once and that was only because i had some extra ones that were collecting dust. It's very sturdy, pretty much waterproof, and the price is not bad either.

Oh and my wife likes her Lightwave 2000. For its size its a good little light that runs for hours and hours on AAs! :)

I do agree with you that i only want a light that uses regular batteries. I guess the CR123s are easy to find these days and do have a long shelf life but that still doesnt justify the cost of them for me.

(I do not care for LED lights, there is not one made that perfoms as well as a real flashlight)

You have obviously not seen any of Surefire's LED lights.

If read my entire my post you would have seen that I have sold Sure Fire lights and Princtontec lights.

Why would anyone want to buy a $95.00 flashlight that will not out perform a Princetonted Tec 40 dive light that sells for about $17.00 and that use cheap AA batteries insted of the 123 batteries that sell for $15.00 a pair.

Don't you mean $15 per dozen?

I was thinking about this too. I was considering those battery-less shakable LED lights, can anyone comment on those, do they work?

I have a shakable, but I just haven't used it enough to get the hang of shaking. It does seem to work okay when I get the shake going right. But so far it is just a pain in the neck. Also it is the size of a small regular flashlight and I'm always trying to trim down what I'm carrying.

I keep a keychain-size mini maglite in my caching bag and that has stood me in good stead. Mostly I just can't wait until it is summer and light again!

The reason I disagree with you is the fact that you continuously assert that LED flashlights do not outperform the Princeton Tec TEC 40, which is a "real flashlight".

In fact you stated that there "is not one [LED light] made that performs as well as a real flashlight"

It seems to me you are unaware of the advances in LED technology in the past few years:

A little bit of googling reveals:

Princeton Tec TEC 40:

Light output: 28 lumens

Power Consumption: 4 watts

Runtime: 2 hours, 23 minutes (rei.com) *

Batteries: 4xAA alkaline ( ~ $4.00 )

Bulb: Halogen, breakable, $6 to replace

Affected by cold: yes

Surefire E1L

Light Output: 25 Lumens

Power Consumption: 3 watts

Runtime: 4 hours *

Batteries: 1x123A lithium ( $1.25 from surefire.com )

Bulb: Unbreakable, never have to replace LED

Affected by cold: no

Surefire E2L

Light Output: 30 Lumens

Runtime: 6 hours *

Batteries: 2x123A lithium ( $2.50 from surefire.com )

Surefire U2 Ultra

Light Output: Adjustable, up to 80 Lumens

Power Consumption: 5 watts

Runtime: up to 40 hours* **

* light output duration: Surefire rates their light's runtimes in "usable light output" the actual amount of time that these lights will output some light is much longer. When surefire stops the clock on runtime, their lights are probably still putting out more light than a D-Cell maglite with new batteries.

** U2 Ultra has adjustable output. on it's lowest setting, it can run for over 40 hours. at 80 lumens it runs for about 2 hours. again, this is rated in "usable output".

Now, explain to me how there is no LED light that can outperform the TEC40?

...Now, explain to me how there is no LED light that can outperform the TEC40?

LED's have come a long way. Even so they are new enough to where some things just have not been demonstrated. LED's typically have a hard time with 'throw'. Until yesterday I didn't even know what that was, but it turns out that's what I like about my Mag Lights. They have the ability to focus the beam which gives them great 'throw'. All LEDs I've ever seen suck at that.

Has this issue been tackeled by LEDs yet?

I keep a Mini Mag with a MiniStar2 LED conversion bulb in my GPS case. It is focusable, but not as much as with the original Krypton bulb. I actually measured the light output with my light meter and found to be about the same. However, the Krypton bulb could be focused into a tighter beam and therefore was able to reach further. For Geocaching, this isn't a concern. I don't use my Mini Mag for long distance illumination.

For night hiking and general camping use, I have a Photon Fusion which I really, really like. Has very good light output and is extremely reliable. It has six white LED bulbs plus one red LED bulb which I use when I want to preserve my night vision or if I'm navigating and don't want to bother the driver...or if I'm doing a night cache and need some light but don't want to attract too much attention.

On my key ring, I have a Photon Freedom Micro which, imo, is the brightest (for its size) keychain light you can buy. I've had Photon Micros for over 5 yrs and have been extremely pleased with their performance. They're definitely a cut above the less expensive models you see in major retailers.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

I mostly meant for wilderness caches, which are most of whats placed around here. I'm sure night caching is fine for little micros and such in town.

I disagree. I have several cheaper flashlights, and I can definatly tell my rechargables are brighter. Maybe less bright than an expensive battery, but I hate spending money on batteries. I'm going to have a pile of at least 10 fully charged AAs when i'm caching anyway. They go in the GPS & camera too. I never leave rechargables in a flashlight, people who borrow it or something always throw them away when they die.

I'm sure the batteries on those $100 flashlights are great, but I could buy alot more useful things for the money.

Batteries are 2300 MAH Monster NIMHs and Energizer 2300 MAH NIMHs.

assuming you use and carry rechargable batteries, your best bet is a small flashlight that takes the same batteries you use in everything else. I use AAA batteries in everything (geko for a GPS) and I have a mag solitare in my small gps bag that goes everywhere with me. If I am stuck without light, i can slide one of the rechardables in that.

However, I wanted to post something contrarian.

-- exactly. for most urban caching activity you don't really want the "best" flashlight you can buy. whacking around in some pocket park with a zillion-luman flashlight is a good way to get the neighbors to call the cops. a small LED is actually "better" in those situations. Use the right tool for the job.

I mostly meant for wilderness caches, which are most of whats placed around here. I'm sure night caching is fine for little micros and such in town.

Night hiking (and caching) is the best! I've done 3-4hr hikes for a cache at night, so we're not talking urban micros.

I disagree. I have several cheaper flashlights, and I can definatly tell my rechargables are brighter. Maybe less bright than an expensive battery, but I hate spending money on batteries. I'm going to have a pile of at least 10 fully charged AAs when i'm caching anyway. They go in the GPS & camera too.  I never leave rechargables in a flashlight, people who borrow it or something always throw them away when they die.

I'm sure the batteries on those $100 flashlights are great, but I could buy alot more useful things for the money.

Batteries are 2300 MAH Monster NIMHs and Energizer 2300 MAH NIMHs.

Sorry, but that's just not possible; especially on a cheaper flashlight that is powered directly from the battery. Some of the very expensive ones use micropocessors to regulate the voltage, but most flashlights do not.

The mAh (current output) of a battery determines how long a flashlight lasts, not how bright it is. The brightness is determined by the voltage; more volts (to the same bulb) means brighter light.

Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries have a voltage of 1.2volts when fully charged. (Energizer NH15-2300 specs)

Two AA NiMH batteries in series equals 2.4volts

Alkaline batteries are nominally rated at 1.5 volts new. In fact most I've tested are more like 1.6volts new. (Energizer E91 specs)

Two AA alkaline batteries in series equals 3volts.

It's impossible for the typical flashlight to put out more light at 2.4volts then it does at 3volts.

Edited by Mopar
Wow, I did not know this would be such a controversial subject!

Well, here's what I think. Everybody can tell us 'what they recommend' but I'm still not clear on 'why'.

What's the discussion? Lighting your foot path, (apparently) self-protection, easy to carry, long life, etc, etc?

I've used torches to, stumble my way down a darken path, change a tire, look for lost cattle in the neighbor's field, make shadow puppets. All of which needed different flashlight to 'be the best'.

In geocaching I've have mostly used one to peer into deep recesses where a cache may be hidden. The one I carry in my pack usually doesn't cut it and I don't plan on carrying the 1 million candle power ones, for 'just in case'.

Could we define this down a bit please?

LED's have come a long way. Even so they are new enough to where some things just have not been demonstrated. LED's typically have a hard time with 'throw'. Until yesterday I didn't even know what that was, but it turns out that's what I like about my Mag Lights. They have the ability to focus the beam which gives them great 'throw'. All LEDs I've ever seen suck at that.

Has this issue been tackeled by LEDs yet?

I haven't seen an LED light with a tightly focused beam, although the only high-performance LED I've seen in person is the U2 Ultra. It has a huge head and really deep reflector that almost appears to be disigned to spread the beam out.

The E1L and E2L have smaller heads like a Nitrolon or 6P, perhaps they focus better.

I think that the focus of the beam would have more to do with the reflector than the "bulb" though.

The throw of a flashlight is work done by the reflector. Some flashlights have less than others. Some flashlight company's have spent more time designing there reflectors for throw than others as well. On a Surefire and some pelican flashlights you will notice the reflector is not smooth, this is why they throw a beam of light so well.

Battery's are important. Lithium cells last ten years with the same (might be a very small drop, i've not noticed one however) voltage. They are less affected by cold the any of the more standerd battery's and tend to cost more as well.

I don't have one of these Tec 40 flashlights, I guess I will get one soon though. This isn't because I find them superior to other lights. Rather it's because I find it very hard to believe that it could be brighter than my surefires, nor quite a few of my LED lights.

When looking at LED lights, Luxeon star LED's are brighter than most (all?) 5mm LED's. 5mm LED's being the ones that look like a common LED. The problem LED's have had with throw is that so much of there light is discharged through the side. Again making reflectors so important for a nice focused beam.

A nice light for caching is in my opinion, a hybrid. Streamlight makes a handheld flashlight called the Twin Task. They can be found in the $30-40.00 range. They have both a xeon bulb (bright, with some throw, shorter battery life) and LED's (number vary's by model, nice area light, longer battery life). The battery's used also vary by model, some use Lithium cells (long storage life, small form factor). While others use alkeline cells (cheaper to replace, battery's can be used in other devices, easier to find at a price people want to pay). Some companys also make a hybrid headlamp with many of the same features.

Why would anyone  want to buy a $95.00 flashlight that will not out perform a Princetonted Tec 40 dive light that sells for about $17.00 and that use cheap AA batteries insted of the 123 batteries that sell for $15.00 a pair.

The reason I disagree with you is the fact that you continuously assert that LED flashlights do not outperform the Princeton Tec TEC 40, which is a "real flashlight".

In fact you stated that there "is not one [LED light] made that performs as well as a real flashlight"

It seems to me you are unaware of the advances in LED technology in the past few years:

Princeton Tec TEC 40:

Surefire E1L

Surefire E2L

Surefire U2 Ultra

* light output duration: Surefire rates their light's runtimes in "usable light output" the actual amount of time that these lights will output some light is much longer. When surefire stops the clock on runtime, their lights are probably still putting out more light than a D-Cell maglite with new batteries.

** U2 Ultra has adjustable output. on it's lowest setting, it can run for over 40 hours. at 80 lumens it runs for about 2 hours. again, this is rated in "usable output".

Princeton tec $17.00 Sure fire $50-$100, I will stick with my Tec 40

Sure fire lights are over priced-I have sold them and they do no impress me

As far as operatingint the cold, all you have to do is put AA lithiums in the Princeton Tec.

I dont carry a flash light my hands are already busy with a gps and sometimes a walking stick

I like headlamps - i am using an old ll bean headlamp - it has focusing, great light, you can tilt it

runs a long time on 2 aa batteries and is waterproof. there are some great head lamps out there...

a cool one is the streamlight trident - it has both led and halogen... and its cheap....

You apparently haven't tried any of the 1W or the 3W LED flashlights. They only use a single LED and they are BRIGHT. Drop them and the LED doesn't break. My 1W Dorcey runs on 3 AAA batteries. I could turn it on now and forget to turn it off. Tomorrow at this time it would still be shining. The 3W LED lights I've seen run on 2 C cells and are amazingly bright.

I haven't heard much that was impressive about the multi-LED models but these with the single, high wattage, LEDs rock.

For normal daytime geocaching I carry in my pack a cheap (and very light) Eveready I found in one of my first geocaches. It uses 2 AA batteries and those batteries are my backup batteries for the GPS. If I do a night geocache, I carry my 8-AA Princeton Tec Surge dive light ... serious lumens in a small package, but heavy.

You apparently haven't tried any of the 1W or the 3W LED flashlights. They only use a single LED and they are BRIGHT. Drop them and the LED doesn't break. My 1W Dorcey runs on 3 AAA batteries. I could turn it on now and forget to turn it off. Tomorrow at this time it would still be shining. The 3W LED lights I've seen run on 2 C cells and are amazingly bright.

I haven't heard much that was impressive about the multi-LED models but these with the single, high wattage, LEDs rock.

And the Tec 40 is 4 watts for about $17.00.

And 4 watts is more than 3 watts and it is even more then 1 watt

You apparently haven't tried any of the 1W or the 3W LED flashlights.

An how would you know what I have tried, are you Kreskin? <_<

I anyone really wants to get real advise on flashlights, go to a real source - Flashlight Reviews.

Personally, THIS is one of the better caching flashlights. It's lightweight, small, but the light output and throw nearly that of a 4D Gaglight. Stays in the pack until you need to peek in a hole or use at the endgame.

For getting around and where you just need to see where you're putting your feet, THIS won't make you boo-hoo if you lose it or crush it in the back of your Jeep. Additionally, it's great for hands free to sign the log or rummage through the swag. AND the all important aspect of a headlamp is getting the light high so you can see that limb that is about to poke your eye out. Readily available at yoru local *mart and Target stores.

Both get the job done very well, are cheap, and use readily available and cheap batteries.

No, they aren't the sexy 30 billion candle power, palm-sized, sexiest, latest things to hit the market, and I ain't saying there aren't some really nice flashlights out there, but for caching these get the job done and won't make your wallet go "ouch!"

As i said above, i love the throw and brightness on the UltraStinger,, you can hurt man and/or beast if needed (by blinding or using as a club), but for caching its something thats definitely not needed or really all that useful because of the short runtime.

I have an Ultrastinger as well. I love it...75,000 candle power. This light is painful to look at in the daytime. Run time on it is about 1 hour. I use it in conjunction with a led headlamp. I also have a car charger for it. Of course I use it for work, I would never have spent the $100.00 for a flashlight otherwise.

Why would anyone  want to buy a $95.00 flashlight that will not out perform a Princetonted Tec 40 dive light that sells for about $17.00 and that use cheap AA batteries insted of the 123 batteries that sell for $15.00 a pair.

Princeton Tec TEC 40:

Surefire E1L

Surefire E2L

Surefire U2 Ultra

Princeton tec $17.00 Sure fire $50-$100, I will stick with my Tec 40

Sure fire lights are over priced-I have sold them and they do no impress me

As far as operatingint the cold, all you have to do is put AA lithiums in the Princeton Tec.

From that flashlight review website re the Princeton Tech 40:

"I also consider the Tec 40 to be about as close to an alkaline battery powered E2 as you can get. In the same brightness category as a Surefire E2, but with a slightly more narrow beam. It has a small form factor for having 4 AA batteries crammed into it and produces a nice spot of light"

Edited by briansnat

An how would you know what I have tried, are you Kreskin? <_<

Wattage is a measure of power draw from the batteries. Lower is better.

Wow! Great thread with lots of good info. Here's my two cents (smile)....

I've been a hunter for almost 20 years and I've used nothing but a mini-maglite. I've had the same one for at least 14 years and it has never failed me yet (unless the batteries start to fade). It still has the original back-up bulb in the rear end of the light! Mine has the hard plastic/rubber thing that goes over the bulb end, so if you drop it (which I have many times) then it won't break the bulb. These usually come as a kit, with some different color lenses and such. My light has been to Canada, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Colorado and South Dakota hunting.

While I'm sure the more expensive lights are better performing, I just can't justify the cost right now. Maybe I'll have to talk to Santa (smile). I just know that if I lose my mini-mag, I can simply go to the store and get another. If I lose a $95 light, I'll be kicking myself in the backside for a longtime! <_<

I don't think I need a flashlight that can burn out the inside of a tree stump, or the leaves off of trees, or the bugs at 100 yd. distance...but...it might be fun :laughing:

I'll stick with the mag lite I already have...at least until prices drop by over half of what they are now for the "blind the enemy and burn the leaves off the trees at 100 yds. version." :^D

Happy caching :laughing:

I'm with you. I own a number of maglights in various sizes and they are what I prefer.

Maglites. All the others are imitators. But I have taken a fancy to all of the LED lights on the market these days.

I just started carrying an minimag for geocaching. It's small, uses the same batteries as my GPSr and it's a great light. Always has been. You can put a red lense on it if you need to, it's water resistant, it's rugged, it comes with a spare bulb, you can even use it as a candle if needed. It's just a classicly well designed product.

An how would you know what I have tried, are you Kreskin? :(

Wattage is a measure of power draw from the batteries. Lower is better.

It depens on what you are looking for in a flashlight, Higher wattage means a brighter light in the case of the TEC 40. the tec 40 has a higher lumen count.

The cost of the Surefire light does not justify its higher price.

some stuff i requoted in bold

I began this argument to show that there ARE LED lights in existance today that can produce much more light than even high-powered traditional bulbs, and even while consuming less power. I believe that I have done that.

You are trying to refute what I have said by making blanket statements that make no sense:

"Higher wattage means a brighter light in the case of the TEC 40."

Wattage is a measure of power draw and has little to do with brightness. This is especially true when you are comparing across different types of light sources like Krypton vs LED, which have vastly different efficiencies. LED produce more light per watt than krypton bulbs, it's not a hard concept to understand.

"the tec 40 has a higher lumen count."

Higher then what? A 3-watt TEC light? Probably. But not a 3-watt E2L

"The cost of the Surefire light does not justify its higher price."

Riiiiight. . .

I know what you are trying to say. I guess that is a matter of opinion.

I didn't contribute to this thread to get into an argument with someone about the definition of wattage, that's why the make dictionaries.

I think we can agree on these points:

• Princetontec TEC-40 is a good value on a bright flashlight
  • Ditto for the Surefire Nitrolon if you want to spend twice as much for twice the light
  • If you are looking for high performance with increased battery life, there are LED lights out there that can perform with "real" flashlights, but be prepared to pay out the nose for them.

Not to shift the discussion too far, but I also (now) carry a 7 LED Black-light flashlight that I had to get for an unusually creative multi-cache. (Black light required to illuminate next coordinate location).

One of my favorite finds so far! :lol:

I've got one of those caches waiting in the wings. It's just a matter of finding the perfect spot to place it. :lol: Oh and my Innova LED Blacklight Flashligt won't do the cache. I had to go get a cheap flouresent light to light up the UV paint. Go figure.

I do a lot of night-time caching . . . a whole lot. The major issue I have had is the light(s) we have used, so I am shopping for a sound solution, with economy.

Have almost settled on the SureFire 8NX Commander with rechargable battery system . . . it has a Xenon Gas-Filled Lamp Assembly ($28.00 replacement).

My question is . . . many of the neweer lamps use an LED Lamp Assembly which is reported to not need replacement (?).

Can anyone share experience or knowledge on the differences in life expectancy of these two lamp options . . . does LED ever need replacement . . . anything that you can offer will be appreciated.

THANKS!

Can anyone share experience or knowledge on the differences in life expectancy of these two lamp options . . . does LED ever need replacement . . . anything that you can offer will be appreciated.

LED lamps are usually rated for 50-100,000 hrs. That's at least 5-10yrs of continuous use. That's virtually forever.