Back Roads 3d Vs. Mapsend Topo 3d

docdigit

Total newbie that is about to receive the dreaded eXplorist 600 as a gift. It is coming with DirectRoutes (instead of Topo 3d) so I am looking to supplement. I'm curious if anyone has looked at both of these and if they have any recommendations on which I should purchase?

Thanks,

Doc

Edited by docdigit

Huh...I hadn't seen Backroads 3D before. National Geographic has some of the best detailed topo maps around...although usually they come one state per program. So I'm not sure how much detail will be in the Backroads program. I see they're 1:100,000 scale. I forget what Topo 3D is.

Bottom line, though: Topo 3D maps will load into the 600, but not the National Geographic maps. The explorist requires a proprietary format. That would seem to tip the scales considerably.

Thanks Redwoods, great link. It's interesting to me that with so many Raster to Vector convertors out there that someone hasn't also taken the time to create some file convertors for the various GPS formats. I'm sure that the GPS manufacturers want to sell their software, but I can't see it being that big an impact and, in fact, I would think that it would boost their sales if they used the fact that there was a way to convert other maps to their format.

Doc

Since you're a noob :blink: I would stick with direct route for now and see how you like it. I have a 600 with both DR and Topo loaded to the SD card. I use DR about 99% of the time. It routes me to the cache and normally gets me where I need to go to find the cache. I only use topo when I'm busting heavy trail and want to figure out the best way to get to the cache (ie. I don't want to hump up and down a hundred gulleys :P )

Total newbie that is about to receive the dreaded eXplorist 600 as a gift.

I do not know how dreaded it is, I have a 500 that I am very happy with.

As far as topo vs streets, if you are going to be in the back country a lot Topo 3D would be a good choice and topo 3D does include street names. If you do not plan on being in the back country a lot then get the Direct route software.

As far as Magellans Topo 3D Vs National Geographics product. With the magellan products the 3D view can only be used on your PC and it will be limited to the area you are viewing at the time. As I understand it with the National Geogpraphic produst will allow you to scroll to differant areas of the map while in the 3D mode.

As far as topo vs streets, if you are going to be in the back country a lot Topo 3D would be a good choice

I know that at some point I am going to spring for Topo, if the National Geographic won't download the maps to my unit, then it will have to wait a bit longer. I will probably get it eventually but right now I am interested in using the mapping capabilities of my unit (when I actually get it in hand...it is to be a Christmas gift.) As to being "dreaded", I've read through the bug list...oh brother!

Doc

Edited by docdigit

Some of the bugs in the bug list are not really bugs, some are ways the GPS is intended to function that some people are not happy with.

One item that some call a bug is not being able to delete a cache from the geocache file when you find it. This is a fuction that I have never seen a need for. Before I went paper less I would make a note that I found the cache on the printout, nos that I went paperless I make my notes in my pocket PC with GPXsonar. You might say ones mans item on a bug list for another man is no big deal.

Considering the unlimted memory with the SD card function, and the ability to save geocaches in the SD card broken down by geograhic region or broken down into cache type or difficulty any bugs I have read about do not seem to be all the important. I M O the explorist 400, 500 and 600 are very fine products that will suit the needs of most geocachers

Has anyone compared the detail between National Geographics Topo and Magellans version of 3D topo. I know that when I used the older version of topo on my SporTrak Pro it didn't have near the detail that was on my printed maps from National Geographics. Has this changed?

I don't know how the National Geographic maps compare to the topo 3d maps, But I can clearly see an improvement in the new topo 3d compared to the older magellan topo maps. Topo lines are more defined, more trails and small roads shown.

One of the best things I noticed was that more roads have names. In the old version, a road may have been labeled simply "4WD" but the new topo 3d labels it by name ("FS1323" instead of "jeep trail" or "4WD").

Has anyone compared the detail between National Geographics Topo and Magellans version of 3D topo. I know that when I used the older version of topo on my SporTrak Pro it didn't have near the detail that was on my printed maps from National Geographics. Has this changed?

I have both, Magellans topo 3D and National geographic topo Calif. As far as Topo map detail National Geographic is the best. I have not tried the NG topo 3D expansion, I put it on my christmass list. So maybe Christmass day I will have a chance to try it out.

Has anyone compared the detail between National Geographics Topo and Magellans version of 3D topo.  I know that when I used the older version of topo on my SporTrak Pro it didn't have near the detail that was on my printed maps from National Geographics.  Has this changed?

I have both, Magellans topo 3D and National geographic topo Calif. As far as Topo map detail National Geographic is the best. I have not tried the NG topo 3D expansion, I put it on my christmass list. So maybe Christmass day I will have a chance to try it out.

Once you buy the NatGeo expansion pack, you'll kick yourself for not buying it sooner. I live next to the San Gabriel Mountains, and I routinely play with the 3D function to plot hiking routes.

I use the old Mapsend Topo in my Meridian Gold, but rely on NatGeo for my printable maps.