+++ Geocoins Missing In Mail-action +++

HerrK & Friends

This is a thread for all the missed geocoins on their way to the new owners.

After over 30 international shippings from outside Germany,

my first damaged mailing reached me today. :o:lol:

Regrettably, the item was damaged

and has therefore been provided

with a plastic cover by the Deutsche Post

For me it is a lost of three 2004 state geocoins

and more than $40 for my trade coins with shipping.

Bad day......... :lol:

missed1.jpg

missed2.jpg

missed3.jpg

Herr K

I totally sympathise with you. I too received my first damaged package yesterday with the loss of 2 coins. It was also put into a plastic wrapper but with no note as to where the damage had taken place. However, once the shipper was contacted, they offered to replace the two missing coins (Thank you so much--you know who you are) from their own trading supply as this was a group order not a personal one.

There is nothing anyone can do about the Postal Service no matter how much we would like to. I blamed it on the holiday season and the vast number of parcels and packages that they have to deal with.

My condolences on the loss of your coins.

Lynn

I have been lucky so far. The only problems I did have was a coin I sent to Germany took over two weeks via USPS Registered Mail. I was especially worried because I had received my coins for the trade within 3-4 days from Germany and the coin I sent was the only spare I had (and could get no more)

It FINALLY arrived and I can't tell you how relieved I was to get that e-mail.

When I send out coins, I double package them by placing them in a smaller envelop or wrapped in another layer of padding. I put a return address label on the interior packing. It's my hope that if the exterior padded envelop gets damaged, the internal packing will survive with the return address. However, the photos show a VERY badly damaged padded envelop, so I'm not sure my method would have helped.

I've had a few torn envelopes before but always had my coins make it.

Wednesday and Thursday were dark days for me, however with coins from both GOWT and NCGO missing from their envelopes. (I've posted this information on other threads already). See one here

I'm so very impressed with all those involved and I'm hoping to find replacements for the lost coins.

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

I've only had one mailer ever arrived damaged, but it was not torn open.

I am, however, missing my GOWT and Red Handed coins and do fear the worst after reading the stories on the board of empty mailers. Since both were mailed within 1 day of eachother and Monday/Tuesday will mark 2 weeks since they were shipped, I don't think either are going to make it. GA just isn't THAT far from TN or OH.

I received my Maine coins Friday and I was fearing the worst. The end was ripped open like someone wanted in and there was only a rubber band around the envelope holding everything together. To my amazement all the coins were in the package. Without this cheezy rubber band around it, the package would be empty.

It amazes me how the PO can handle billions of pieces of mail flawlessly and then turn around and beat up a package like this. Inner packing would not have helpad here. The entire end of the package was gone.

This is the first time I've ever had a coin shipment even scratched much less delivered in this condition.

I am, however, missing my GOWT and Red Handed coins and do fear the worst after reading the stories on the board of empty mailers. Since both were mailed within 1 day of eachother and Monday/Tuesday will mark 2 weeks since they were shipped, I don't think either are going to make it. GA just isn't THAT far from TN or OH.

I haven't gotten my red handed coins either but I wasn't panicking yet since I didn't think they'd been mailed....I am now on panic alert and will email....

I received my GOWT coins last Monday here about 100 miles north of Knoxville, TN and the mailer had a pretty good tear in it when I got it. I don't think it would have survived much longer intact. I still haven't received my Red-handed coins yet either but anything I've ever received that had to cross the Canadian border takes several days to clear customs.

No red-handed coins here either but weren't they shipped from Canada a week ago? Maybe that takes longer?

No according to posts from LFD, they were mailed from an airport in OH two weeks ago this coming Tuesday. So unless he was confused about where he mailed certain US packages from, I am feeling like they're goners.

I wonder if with the increased volume of mail that padded envelopes that normally get hand sorted(sometimes arriving with uncanceled postage)get put through the mechanical sorters and are more prone to damage.This is the first thread I have seen about this and think it reflects the surge in total mail volume.I have sent and recieved close to 500 coin shipments and while several were delayed(one took almost a month to travel 400 miles) only 1 package was lost.The USPS does a great job at a reasonable cost. My local post office staff have taken to calling me "the coin guy" and while the first big mailings were a pain for them they now smile when I show up.

Last spring, I twice received empty bubble mailers that had been sliced open with a knife. Very suspicious, so I filed a complaint. Could have happened here, but they both came from California so it could have happened there too - or someplace in between, who knows. Fortunately, one of them was insured so I was able to get the coins sent again. No problems since then until just recently when a bubble mailer arrived ripped open and retaped. Fortunately, the coins were still inside. :D

When sending, I also use the technique of using two bubble mailers, one folded in half inside the other. This also makes the package thick enough to qualify for delivery confirmation. For the inside one, I reuse the mailers sent to me.

I recieved my red handed on Friday and am only 3 hours from Columbus. Keep in mind that the mail is EXTREMELY slow right now due to the Christmas rush.

Must be just the Columbus area mail that is slow. I sent a few items all the way across the country at the beginning of this week and they still got there in 3 days--the same time as it always takes--USPS First Class.

What I do is use bubble wrap and or old bubble mailers. I put the coin in those and wrap them, then I put that in the envelope. The reason I go that route is so I can use Delivery Confirmation. The package has to be 3/4 inch thick. I also then tape the heck out of the outside so the package can't tear.

3 pinned topics were merged into one topic by Eartha... trading coins, trading lists and shipping method of coins.

The two trade threads were merged, the shipping thread was just unpinned.

I stand corrected. Thanks!

Perhaps we could compile a "FAQ" or "Dos and Don'ts" message that could contain this info and anything else the coin folks might want to see as a pinned topic. Then just have it locked. If info needs to be added to the message down the road that's important, I would think an admin could add it as needed. Just an idea.

Edited by AtlantaGal