Metal Detecting And Geocaching

LOSt OSOS

This gets brought up occasionally. I don't have a metal detector, and I'm not opposed to them, but just remember that one of the negative incorrect perceptions people have of geocachers is that we go around digging holes.

If you combine geocaching with metal detecting, be sure it's in an area where it is allowed, and if you are approached or questioned about your activity, be sure to avoid giving the impression that geocaching involves digging.

Now then, carry on.

Jamie

I just started geocashing last week but have been metal detecting since the 70's. Those guys that leave holes behind are killing our hobby and making everybodys life miserable.

I plan on using a metal detector but not for finding the cashes. Many of the sites look like a good place to find an old coin or 2 if its on public land and not illegle to use one. When I detect I leave the place better than I found it because I remove all the trash I find and thats concerable. I also do not leave any holes or any sign I was there, which is what any responsible detectorest will do.

Pretty much every time I go on a business trip I do a little geocaching. Every time I go on a business trip I fly to my destination. It's simply faster than taking the train. Each time, before they let me on the plane, they make me walk through a metal detector.

So yes, you could say that metal detecting and geocaching are two activities I do quite frequently together... :o

Edited by Hugh Jazz

I've been metal detecting since the late 70's. Today, I use a Garrett Ace 250. Neat little detector ! I've often used a GPS while detecting, but never used a detector while geocaching. I'm in agreement with the statement ictester made. We are now plagued by people leaving holes uncovered. It is causing a negative perception of the metal detecting community. It didn't used to be that way. I can detect a local park and recover 80-90 coins and you would never know I'd been there.

My father who has recently passed went through a prospector phase (actually more than a phase, maybe 10 years or so) where he filed some mining claims and purchased several Garrett detectors which I now have. I have recently thought about knocking the dust off the units and trying them especially since I am out caching anyway. I guess the main think is I don't want to spend all day digging up trash and bottle caps etc.

Of those who are treasure hunting how successful are you? I wouldn't be at it of course to make money but it would be nice to find some interesting things to make it worth my while.

Of those who are treasure hunting how successful are you? I wouldn't be at it of course to make money but it would be nice to find some interesting things to make it worth my while.

Define sucessful :rolleyes: I'm sucessful at having a lot of fun ! I've never owned a detector that didn't pay for itself. My Ace 250 paid for itself plus a lot on it's second hunt. I found an engagement ring that was appraised it $1800.

I usually find around 4000 coins a year. 40-50 rings about 10 of which are gold. My true treasures are things that are unique, though. I found a 1863 3 cent piece last year that is my most prized find. Old coins mean a lot to me even if they are not worth much. I have a blast just finding old wheatie cents!

I have been metal detecting for over 30 years now. Have found $$$$ in coins,silver and gold while land and water detecting. But like geocaching, the peace , exercise and satisfacation I receive is priceless. In both hobbies Ive met the nicest people. The outcome of both hobbies is the same. To find and revel in the satisfacation of doing so. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

I do both, but not at the same time. I have a White's DFX. Got started back in the mid-70s with a White's Coinmaster IV that I bought with money I earned working at the fair during the summer. I haven't been out detecting as much as I'd have liked to have been recently, though. -Ken

I do both too, but not at the same time. Sometimes after finding the cache I'll grab the detector. Same parks, different activities that both involve finding "treasure" in different ways. The two hobbies complement each other quite well. I'm using a White's Prizm IV when detecting.

Edited by k7-wave

I've been thinking of combining the two hobbies. I have a bit of a dislike for microcaches, but have thought about making a metal detector necessary cache where waypoints would be nitro tablet containers pressed into the dirt or sod.

What gave me the idea was having my glasses knocked off in tall marsh grass by my dog while playing hide and seek with him near sundown. I ended up marking the spot and had my wife bring my metal detector. That found it quickly. While it was squawking that it found it, I had to look several times to see the glasses. (no jokes. I had spare glasses on)

Yes, I know all about buried caches. Pressing a tiny cylinder into the ground is fine.

Just curious as know if anyone else metal detects as well as caching.

One of the local caches that I logged a DNF on is on my watch list. Recently someone posted there that they'd found the cache, using a metal detector. While the cache doesn't require digging, it apparently was well disguised by leaf litter and such.

I don't use a metal detector, but the fact that they found the cache with one gives me a pretty important clue as to how I should focus my search when I return (waiting for a cooler day, with enough wind to blow mosquitoes away!).

We do not have a real metal detector our daughter got a child one for her b-day and we have used it to find an ammo can. We had been to the spot a couple of time and had no luck. We knew it was a ammo can full of pennies so we thought the metal detector would be the perfect finding tool and it was. We found it with little searching. That has been the only time so far we have used it.

We have taken it to parks and our daughter has found 1 quarter and lots of bottle caps she keeps them because she thinks they are neat. Some of them are quite different.

We got into treasure hunting back in the '80s. Went to organized hunts for several years, and had lots of fun meeting great people. Haven't been hunting for a while, but every once in a while, I get one out (We have 5!) to find something someone has lost. They come in very handy that way. ;)

Yes, I metal detect and geocache, usually not at the same time. I mostly metal detect on the beach where it is easy to dig/sift for coins, jewelry, even metallic trash which we carry out. Detectorists have clubs and a Code of Ethics, posted on our webpage.

The Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics

I WILL respect private property and do no treasure hunting without the owner's permission.

I WILL fill all excavations.

I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.

I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.

I WILL leave gates as found.

I WILL remove and properly dispose of any trash that I find.

I WILL NOT litter.

I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings, or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.

I WILL NOT tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.

In Florida, our club page is the Historical Recovery Association of North Florida here. HRANF

When i was MUCH younger my parents bought a metal detector. We kids would go with them and pick up the old square nails laying all over near old collapsed buildings. We had several thousand of them.

I've been thinking about getting a metal detector. They've come a long way since my parents had one and I hear they don't take 15 batteries anymore.

This gets brought up occasionally. I don't have a metal detector, and I'm not opposed to them, but just remember that one of the negative incorrect perceptions people have of geocachers is that we go around digging holes.

If you combine geocaching with metal detecting, be sure it's in an area where it is allowed, and if you are approached or questioned about your activity, be sure to avoid giving the impression that geocaching involves digging.

Now then, carry on.

Jamie

YES!!! I agree, I do everything by the book when I Metal Detect, and GEOCaching should be no different, or both sports will be gone.

TFMD

i have been toying with the idea of getting a detector for my 8 year old... she loves to go caching but really gets left out when we cache in bigger groups.. this, i think, would be something fun she could all on her own while we are out caching =)

I'm giving one away on my Website? See my Avatar... he he...

i have been toying with the idea of getting a detector for my 8 year old... she loves to go caching but really gets left out when we cache in bigger groups.. this, i think, would be something fun she could all on her own while we are out caching =)

I'm giving one away on my Website? See my Avatar... he he...

I carry a hand held metal detector to find caches in the dark....gave up coin shooting...

Define sucessful :rolleyes: I'm sucessful at having a lot of fun ! I've never owned a detector that didn't pay for itself. My Ace 250 paid for itself plus a lot on it's second hunt. I found an engagement ring that was appraised it $1800.

I usually find around 4000 coins a year. 40-50 rings about 10 of which are gold. My true treasures are things that are unique, though. I found a 1863 3 cent piece last year that is my most prized find. Old coins mean a lot to me even if they are not worth much. I have a blast just finding old wheatie cents!

Where do you go to detect such things? Seems interesting.

I played around with a medal detector once and my friend buried some coins for me to find. I hardly found any and he isn't too fond of metal detectors anymore, since he couldn't remember where he buried most of them.

Man that's tough, but it's a learning process that I have many videos on, I can teach you! When you find your first 150 year old relic like I did you cant compiar this at all! But I love both.

I have place a easy to find GEO Treasure Finder Metal Detecting Cache on my site, come check it out.

TFMD

I usually carry a metal detector along when I am geocaching and have used it to find ammo cans that are under snow. It also works well for ammo cans hid under pine trees and others that are covered with leaves. I don't take it on all hunts but it is there if I feel I need a helping hand.

Yup, we could have used that detector a few times awhile back, we might just look into it.

Semi-Trekker's sometimes needs a little help.

Maybe I could use my metal detector to find this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1D7VN

Hmm...

Considering the size of that cache, the fact that the CO apparently hasn't been around since October, and the fact that the cache has never been found, I really have to wonder if it's even still there. (I can see the CO not wanting to post any hints about the cache, but you'd think he would have at least checked the cache after all this time and posted a note saying it's still there.)

Edit: Almost forgot this. I played around in my front yard as a kid with a metal detector I bought at a garage sale. Does that count? ;) (Never really did any digging and didn't really find anything, partly because I never even had a manual and it was likely a cheap detector to begin with.)

Edited by EdrickV

Reminds me of a story...

Long before Geocaching came about, my hobby was metal detecting. One day I was at a park near a popular beach detecting on the lawn area. I was stooped over, using my "digging tool", a screwdriver, when a guy (in his 40's, I think) came over and angrily inquired, "Did you do this?" I stood up and looked around taking in the view of the expansive area his sweeping arm indicated. There, for all the world to see, were THOUSANDS of evenly spaced holes, each with a cylindrical 1"x3" plug laying nearby. Apparently, the guy was not familiar with the mechanical process of aerating a lawn. Was the guy serious? His tone indicated he was very serious, but, I was so surprised by his accusation that I laughed at him and simply walked away while he cursed me out.

I do both. I have an AT Pro and enjoy both hobbies as well as others. I am a member on Treasurenet.com and as was said before, it is a friendly, non-threatening way to learn about that hobby, much as this site does. There are idiots out there that give both hobbies a bad name. I consider it my responsibility to be a good ambassador in whatever pursuit I am currently engaged. As a result I leave the area better than I found it.