Groundspeak's Current Coin Tracking Policy

SCP-173

This is taken from this locked topic.

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

Why in the world is there a new rule on that? Does this mean 3D dies are not going to be allowed? Someone from Groundspeak please answer this... 3D coins are always so much cooler looking...

I'm glad New York got in before that rule. :laughing:

Here's another one that concerns me.

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and, now, Personal Coins.

Does that mean personal coins can have a unique icon, or does "custom coin icon" just mean the current, generic PC icon?

We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

I take this as saying that 3D dies are allowed, but you can't have a geocoin in the shape of a ball or cube and have it trackable. Oh well, no trackable Borg cube then... I'm sure someone could come up with a 3D die version of a Borg cube that would be 'flat'.

--Marky

Here's another one that concerns me.

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and, now, Personal Coins.

Does that mean personal coins can have a unique icon, or does "custom coin icon" just mean the current, generic PC icon?

It says "Custom", so that means you can design your own, it sure sounds like.

--Marky

Design Considerations:

1. The final design of each geocoin must be approved by Groundspeak prior to production. Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo.

Means EACH, all geocoins also the NOT trackable coins? :laughing:

4. All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat.

:P:D

Design Considerations:

1. The final design of each geocoin must be approved by Groundspeak prior to production. Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo.

Means EACH, all geocoins also the NOT trackable coins? :laughing:

:P:D

I believe the whole thread it geared towards their new coin tracking policy and should not apply to non trackable coins.

Ok, here some answers to questions posted above (excuse me if I paraphrase (um, copy) some of your comments):

3D dies are allowed, but you can't have a geocoin in the shape of a ball or cube and have it trackable. We do want Geocoins to remain coins.

Yes, personal coin owners can now design their own icon to be associated with their coins. Note that, unfortunately, we can not associate icons with previously developed coins, only new ones.

The policy applies to trackable coins and does not address non-trackable coins.

One other note that was relayed to me was this: (Bryan, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

It came up in the past that there may be conflicting prefixes. For instance, the San Diego coins getting the SD prefix. What happens if South Dakota wants a coin.

Well, from what I gather, they can also use the SD prefix, and still have their own icon. The icon is associated with a set of complete numbers, and not just a prefix.

(Of course, I guess this was obvious since they will now allow multiple custom icons with the PC prefix.) :laughing:

Bryan, one other question that I just thought of...in the past, in order to get the custom icon, we had to make 1000 coins. Will this be the case for personals as well? (Maybe you already answered that, I'll go back to your OP and re-read it.)

What promted the change in personal coin icons? I can see our stats pages getting very, very messy now...

Many geocachers contacted us and asked if they could have a custom icon for their coins. They wanted people to be able to collect each others coins and have the icons appear on their stats pages.

And, speaking of stats pages, we are going to clean them up by adding a new tab for coins so that they don't clutter the other statistics. Hopefully that will help.