Aspiring Writers

As the question asks -- do you write "TFTH" or do you write your thoughts of the day when you complete a log?

The reason I ask, is I think a hilarious project (and I am not interested in doing it -- so steal the idea), would be a PDF or even a book on the best onine log entries. (I think there are some threads in the forums on this already)

So?

Long or Short?

As the question asks -- do you write "TFTH" or do you write your thoughts of the day when you complete a log?

A paragraph, maybe two. With a picture, if any of them came out okay.

I've written longer logs a few times, but I kind of felt like I was elbowing everybody else off the page. A very short log is usually an implicit negative. From me, I mean -- people who habitually write short logs, that works okay for them.

I write as much or as little as the fun/adventure I had doing the cache warrants. Most urban micros get a standard "found it, thanks" but then there are those caches that warrant not just one, but two log entries because I couldn't fit everything in one. That's a rare occasion, but has happened as the links indicate.

If I really like the cache and had a great (or really bad/adventurous/extraordinary) time doing a cache, my log will show it.

I prefer to log long entries, replete with the gory details and the humor and pathos of the hunt (or of the DNF!) but only if the cache or the hunt or some other (unexpected) variable warrants such a story!

BTW, a long log entry does NOT crowd other log entries off the front cache listing page, as the software at the geocaching.com seems only to use NUMBER of log entires and not their length as the criteria for what log entries appear on the front page. So, even a maximum-length log entry will not bump an earlier log onto a back page any more than will a short log entry.

BTW, a long log entry does NOT crowd other log entries off the front cache listing page, as the software at the geocaching.com seems only to use NUMBER of log entires and not their length as the criteria for what log entries appear on the front page.  So, even a maximum-length log entry will not bump an earlier log onto a back page any more than will a short log entry.

I know. It just felt like I was blathering on and on and maybe making the next finder feel funny.

BTW, a long log entry does NOT crowd other log entries off the front cache listing page, as the software at the geocaching.com seems only to use NUMBER of log entires and not their length as the criteria for what log entries appear on the front page.  So, even a maximum-length log entry will not bump an earlier log onto a back page any more than will a short log entry.

I know. It just felt like I was blathering on and on and maybe making the next finder feel funny.

Hmm... Auntie, the difference between you and me is that I am more warped than you, and I love filing really weird log entries. And, I must admit that making the next finder feel funny makes me feel gleeful. In fact, making the previous finder feel funny makes me feel gleeful.

I apologize in advance for being so warped. Please forgive me. Please do not spank me anymore. Well, okay, you can spank me for twenty-five minutes longer....

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I like to write the story of the hunt, hopefully with a bit of a humorist twist. My own rules does not allow for negative comments, regardless of the lameness of the cache. A short note while most likely mean it was OK, while a paragraph or longer tries to share the fun of the hunt. Even a lame cache may have a great story when, let’s say it’s in a wooded area and I forgot to waypoint the geotruck and we spend an hour taking the longest possible path back. To me the log is to thank the cacher who took the time to hide the cache. The story is for my buddies to laugh at our day’s adventures and misadventures. If anyone else enjoys them, all the better.

Sometimes I get a little long winded. I enjoy reading logs (gathering clues) that others write and I want to document my adventure to the best of my ability. I enjoy writing funny logs, I hope others read them and get a chukle out of my adventure. I don't find that many caches on an outing that it becomes a chore for me to write about the cache.

To clarify, as an active hider, I hate the 'nice cache, TFTH' type logs. I am tempted to delete them out of spite.

If you post a short log to be nice when you actually hated the cache, I want/need to know what you didn't like. False appreciation means you're getting more of what you don't like in my next hide.

- T of TandS

It's simple human nature: if a cache is enticing, inventive or entertaining, then its logs will match.

If it's just another ho-hummer, then...

If your caches get a lot of "alphabet logs" then they ARE telling you something.

Well, I largely agree, but lets face some relevant facts as well:

• 1) Some cachers are simply prone to writing only short and curt log entries, filled with alphabet soup, and are largely incapable of anything else. God bless them too!
    2) I seem to notice that length of log entries also varies from region to region. Folks in some regions tend to write long log entries, while folks in some other regions tend to lean toward curt and short entries.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
To clarify, as an active hider, I hate the 'nice cache, TFTH' type logs. I am tempted to delete them out of spite.

If you post a short log to be nice when you actually hated the cache, I want/need to know what you didn't like. False appreciation means you're getting more of what you don't like in my next hide.

- T of TandS

I couldn't disagree more.

If I find a cache that fits the description of lame by the majority of cachers, I won't write more than a sentence in my online logs. The only exception to this rule is If I need to take the time to warn future cachers of the aggresive homeless person, or the discarded hype needles, or because of any other dangers, then I'll be wordy.

Now if the cache is was a worthwhile endeavor, I have no problem writing a long log.

#600 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...2b-f89a634b3807

#700 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...1d-71def30b0123

I am so in the habit of writing long logs that I find I now have to write them in MS Word, and do a character count so as not to eceed the 4000 character limit. I will then cut and paste the extra into a secondary note.

I usually do not run into this problem, but I have found it helpful.

I always try to write very descriptive logs.

Read an example of my verbosity Here, start at the 'find' log, and end with the 'note'.

Oh yeah, I always try to post a LOT of photos.

Edited by Mr Lost
Hi, what I meant was, I prefer a 'this cache stinks, SLTN,' over 'nice cache TFTH' on one of my caches if someone didn't like it. But, I appreciate any logs and any attempts on them. And we love long detailed logs most.

- T of TandS

Whoops,

I really inferred wrongly on that one. I have no qualms about being honest when I find a lousy cache.

GCM90P

"I just love these "scenic geocaching spots" in the city. The trashed filled ditch was in "full bloom", but the "waterfall" was dry. My olfactory senses were stimulated by the alluring scent I encountered at this cache spot.

Thanks for the cache (I think)"

1) Some cachers are simply prone to writing only short and curt log entries, filled with alphabet soup, and are largely incapable of anything else.

I try to be mindful of this. Some people hate writing or don't write well, and if they can squeeze out a couple of coherent sentences, good on them. If I had to do algebra to log a cache, I'd quit.

1) Some cachers are simply prone to writing only short and curt log entries, filled with alphabet soup, and are largely incapable of anything else.

I try to be mindful of this. Some people hate writing or don't write well, and if they can squeeze out a couple of coherent sentences, good on them. If I had to do algebra to log a cache, I'd quit.

Give me an algebra cache and I'll try to write a descriptive log about my experience. ;)

I will do my best to write an entertaining log if I think the cache warrents it. Even if it doesn't I will write about the experience I had there with my buddies so they can enjoy my write ups. It's my way of saying "I had fun caching with you." I also take time with my logs as a thank you to the person who took the time to place it. If I really, really enjoy the cache I will also paint a watercolor sketch of it and add it to the log. I am a firm believer in "value added caching." ;) No alphabet logs for me!

Hmm... Auntie, the difference between you and me is that I am more warped than you,

More warped than Auntie? Boy, I gotta meet you!! Gotta love AW!

:blink:

If you really need to know how warped I am, you may be able to get a bit of an idea by taking a look at some of my Psycho series caches, such as:

• Psycho Urban Cache #3 - Bowels of the City (GCQ91Y)
    Psycho Urban Cache #4 - Where is Padre Pio? (GCQ969)
    Psycho Urban Cache #5 - Brief and Bizarre Descent (GCQA4C)
    Psycho Urban Cache #6 - Downtown Wuthering Heights (GCQABV)
    Psycho Urban Cache #7 - A Good Day to Die (GCQHBH)
    Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing (GCQNN5)
    Psycho Backcountry Cache #4 - High Country Cave (GCQNT7)

:PB)B)B)B)

You know, when you find yourself being used as a living Index of Whack (by flask, no less!), it's probably time to cut down on...something. I wish I knew what.

Still, it's a step up, I guess. Most places I frequent find me merely annoying.

And I'm still holding out to see GeoWomyn's portable watercolor kit. I've tried to put together drawing stuff for the trail, but I haven't found the right way to package it up to balance weight and awkwardness against function.

If I really, really enjoy the cache I will also paint a watercolor sketch of it and add it to the log.

Whoa! Ver-y nice.

What sort of gear do you carry with you?

Most of the time I take a snap shot and use my watercolors at home.

On days I do have time to paint in the field though I take brushes, a container of water, paper towels, masking tape, a pencil, and portable watercolors (the pan kind:Yarka brand. These watercolors are more vibrant than the usual. I got them online at Dickblicks art supplies. I also use 140 lb weight watercolor paper.

:lol:

If I really, really enjoy the cache I will also paint a watercolor sketch of it and add it to the log. I am a firm believer in "value added caching." :blink: No alphabet logs for me!

Now that's cool. Aside from my often wordy log entries, if conditions permit, I will take 3-D pictures of the cache area and upload them to the log. I leave 3-D anaglyph glasses in all the caches I find, and they can be used to view the pictures I post.

I can't stand when someone finds a bunch of caches in one day and copies and pastes their logs. Even if I find 10, 20 or 30 caches in a day, I try my best to write something about each cache or at least as much as I remember. If I don't like a cache, I make sure to say why I didn't like it. Just writing TNLN TFTC doesn't cut it.

Here's a couple of favorites logs of mine that immediately come to mind:

December 15

January 29

Edited by JMBella
If I really, really enjoy the cache I will also paint a watercolor sketch of it and add it to the log. I am a firm believer in "value added caching."  :blink: No alphabet logs for me!

Now that's cool. Aside from my often wordy log entries, if conditions permit, I will take 3-D pictures of the cache area and upload them to the log. I leave 3-D anaglyph glasses in all the caches I find, and they can be used to view the pictures I post.

OK.. how do you take a 3D picture?

I made a Virtual Tour of one of my caches. I should start doing that on all caches I like.

My physical log tends to be very short. Usually not enough paper to capture everything, and I would hog it for all of the followers. The virtual log can get long as I recount the hunt and impressions, my takes, and lefts, funny thoughts and my thanks for placing a cache.

The better the longer too.

300th post - but who's counting :blink:

Edited by Jhwk

OK.. how do you take a 3D picture?

With a 3-D camera!

Actually, I don't own a 3-D camera, so I use normal ones. Most of the time when I'm caching, I just have my little Pentax P&S digital. I frame the shot while keeping all my weight on my left foot, take one picture, shift my weight to my right foot, then take another picture. Of course, this only works on calm days, and when there aren't lots of people moving around. Then I take the resulting left/right pair and layer them in Photoshop to create the anaglyph image, to be viewed with the glasses. A detailed tutorial on just how that is done is on my website. When I'm more ambitious, I'll drag along my twin rig: a matched set of Pentax ME Super SLRs that are synchronized electronically. Or I'll use my Digital Rebel mounted on a slidebar on a tripod. There are a zillion ways to do it.

Say, that virtual lighthouse tour of yours would look way cool in 3-D... :blink:

My physical log tends to be very short.  Usually not enough paper to capture everything, and I would hog it for all of the followers.  The virtual log can get long as I recount the hunt and impressions, my takes, and lefts, funny thoughts and my thanks for placing a cache.

The better the longer too.

300th post - but who's counting  :blink:

Physical log: An exceptionally good Team Mule Ears log is one that has the date correct and the team name spelled right. An excellent one has a legible impression of our rubber stamp, relatively unsmudged and rightside-up. A masterpiece has both of the previous characteristics and is free from bloodstains.

Online log: Our online logs disregard the legal right to avoid self-incrimination. They are often accompanied by pictures, sometimes in focus. For remote caches, pictures can feature Mr. Mule Ears scowling at the camera while perched on a cliff over a chasm waiting for the self-timer to go off. He believes he is smiling when these pictures are taken.