Late Logging

I tend to log very promptly, as I suspect that many cache owners and watchlist watchers love to follow logs. About the sole exception in my case is when I am on the road, on a consulting trip, for example, with little or no Internet access. In those cases, my loggings may wait until I am back home.

I also take longer to file fictional finds on caches which I have never actually found, such as the famous cache left on the moon by the early Apollo astronauts, or the fabled 300 cubic yard capacity waterproof APE cache at the bottom of a deep trench in the Atlantic Ocean at a depth of 3,000 feet, because it takes me a while to get up the courage to log these fake finds.

However, for a bit more insight into the possible hazards of logging your finds promptly: I have recently been contacted by an old childhood friend (her name was Johanna before entering the Program; we played together in the sandbox at age six and caught snakes and tadpoles together at age seven) who now works for a top-secret government agency. She has advised me confidentially that some analysts at her agency have developed some interesting statistical reports which seem to indicate that the alien grays follow log entries by geocachers closely, to determine when and where that cacher will likely travel next, in order to facilitate abducting the cacher. Therefore, she and her colleagues are suggesting that it might be prudent for me to wait about 24 months before ever logging any finds (or DNFs, or whatever) and to change the date of the log entry by one or two days to further confuse the aliens and their hapless colleagues, the reptoid reptilian shapeshifters who usually actually carry out the abductions.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I don't understand why you don't want others to see your count or what caches you've visited, but in any case, if you log in late, your post probably won't be one of the last 5, or at least not for long.

So only the cache owner will read it, in which case why log anything other than "Found it"??? ;)

Can you explain the point of waiting so long before posting your finds? I know a few folks who do this, and it mystifies me. I don't have a problem with the practice, it's your way to play. But I don't "get it". If you are going to record the log somehow, in a notebook or what have you, aren't you putting in twice the logging effort?

For me, I log them as soon as I get home before short term memory loss kicks in :huh: .

My intention is to write the log as soon as I experience the cache -- and then POST the log after 3-6 months.

Reason: I leave things like coins in caches. This prevents me being "followed".

Also, I don't want folks to have accurate stats on my caching.

Whoa !

Just because you are paranoid, does not necessarily mean that someone is not out to get you!

Depends how tired I am when I get home - within 48 hours while the dates and interesting things are still in my RAM. I figure cache owners are sitting there just waiting to see who did what and how it went. Also the Next finder might read the log and benefit from something said.

If I wait too long I forget the date I found it.

I don't understand why you don't want others to see your count or what caches you've visited...

He probably doesn't want his boss to know he's caching on a "sick" day! <_<

Personally, if I could log them on my way back to the car, I would. One day, I let other people go find a cache I had already found while I stayed in the car with the sleeping kids. I pulled up my Laptop, found an unsecure wireless network and started logging my finds for the day while waiting for them to get back! :D

Edited by Mr. Speedy

When do you log your finds? Right away, after a couple of days, never?

Thoughts, practices?

Usually the same day, when I get home. Occasionally I'm too tired to see straight, and I may do it the next day. Cachemate helps keep it all straight until I make the logs.

On some new caches, I usually wait until someone else has logged it first. No real reason, other than it may be a bad habit I picked up from some other folk I occasionally run with.

I'm currently over 900 online logs behind :D I absolutely refuse to do cut-and-paste logs so logging takes me a while. I have about 15 MB of recorded voice notes that I made on my PDA as I was walking away from about 1/3 of the caches. The others I can usually remember enough to make a decent log.

However travel bug drops I do log promptly. Well, within a few days <_<

When I get to 1,000 logs behind, which will probably happen this weekend, my friends say they're going to give me a medal :D

I have OCD on many levels including logging my finds right away. I live in Florida and we were in California for almost a week. I paid almost 30 dollars to get on the hotel's lobby computer just to log my finds. Mostly I didn't want others to find coins and bugs I dropped before I logged them in. But major part - OCD.

I started caching in 2002, and I posted my 500th find log on Nov. 6th 2004. Since then I have found many other caches. Something clicked in my brain back then and I decided that find counts and user stats weren't important to me. So I quit logging finds, but I will post a note for TB's if I happen to pick one up.

If for no other reason than for them to not show up on my PQ

Nah. It's quick to add them to your ignore list to remove them from PQs.

I personally know two people who never log their finds online. Look at their stats and it shows zero finds, yet they've found hundreds. But they do use the ignore list to get worthwhile PQs. I've read about several other people here in the forums who don't log online either.

It's not about the numbers <_<

Edited by Lil Devil

She has advised me confidentially that some analysts at her agency have developed some interesting statistical reports which seem to indicate that the alien grays follow log entries by geocachers closely, to determine when and where that cacher will likely travel next, in order to facilitate abducting the cacher.

animated58.gif

That thought has crossed my mind, as well!

X

Hello all,

This question is related to another question -- but the thread in question has gone down the garden path......

So..... my NEW question is:

When do you log your finds? Right away, after a couple of days, never?

Personally, I am considering keeping track of my finds over a 3-6 month period and then logging them all at once. This means I will be logging against some archived caches (if I found them prior to their removal), but I can modify the date to match the date I physically found them.

Also, I plan on posting DNF's right away as an alert to the cache owner.

For caches I drop TB's into, I will log right away so that the owner knows where they are, but I'll post it as a note and then as a find during my "off-season" stat-a-thon.

Thoughts, practices?

i usually log my caches a couple of days after i found them :P

I'm not a real structured guy, and so don't have any particular logging 'practice'. :P

Sometimes I log finds, sometimes I don't.

I mostly cache with other people and they do the record-keeping; more often than not I couldn't tell you at the end of the day what caches we went to.

If I log the caches at all I wait for them to log then go to their profile to see what we did that day.

I am kind of ambivilant about the whole logging thing, and may go long stretches without logging any.

Last month I noticed that I had fallen from the top five list in my state, and for some weird reason that spurred me to log some, so I have logged all that I have found this month and even logged some from previous months in arrears just to move back up. How sick is that? :laughing:

I usually sign the log immediately after opening the cache or sometimes just before resealing it and putting it back.

Then again i sometimes don't even do that. Just depends.

Sometimes I just go there and see the attraction and say, "I bet the cache is over there," and leave.

OH! You're talking about ONLINE logs! My bad:

It has been about 7 months since I stopped logging online and whereas I wish I had not been so silly and hasty to erase all my logs, I think my present policy is working OK for me.

I log FTFs and TBs as quickly as i can. I only log FTFs because a local cacher complained and i see their point. Personally I think it would enhance the game for the other FTF hounds to be surprised. Alas, I reckon they don't see it that way. (spoilsports!) :)

i haven't logged a DNF since I quit generally logging online. I have determined DNF logs are the ones most likely to get flack so i leave that to others.

FWIW (not much) I used to be one that could not wait to log online. I would log from my cellphone if i had good service.

Edited by Confucius' Cat
If for no other reason than for them to not show up on my PQ

Nah. It's quick to add them to your ignore list to remove them from PQs.

I personally know two people who never log their finds online. Look at their stats and it shows zero finds, yet they've found hundreds. But they do use the ignore list to get worthwhile PQs. I've read about several other people here in the forums who don't log online either.

It's not about the numbers :huh:

It isn't about the numbers, but you can still log your caches and not be caught up by numbers. I like to log because it creates a journal of all my adventures. It is fun to read them and look at the photos again from time to time. :) I usually log my finds fairly quickly so I remember them better. :)