Below The Dotted Line------------------

sept1c_tank

Do you read the signature lines of posters in this forum? I do. I've found some real words of wisdom there.

One of my current favorites:

"The community which dares not protect its humblest and most hated member in the free utterance of his opinions, no matter how false or hateful, is only a gang of slaves. If there is anything in the universe that can’t stand discussion, let it crack."

-- Wendell Phillips

:anibad::anibad:

My geocaching sig is going to be sold on a t-shirt on my new website....

As long as the back of that shirt just says GEOCACHER in huge white block letters, I'll buy it. Oh and it has to be 100% cotton and come in XL, and not be more than about ten bucks.

Sorry friend. I will never sell a geocaching t-shirt where geocaching has a capitol "G." Don't wanna get involved in a lawsuit.

The word is patented by this site. They own the proper word and the largest geocaching website, but they don't own the activity; geocaching with a small "g" for me.

Do you read the signature lines of posters in this forum? I do. I've found some real words of wisdom there.

Yes I often do read them.

Doesn't someone have one about not messing with geocachers because they know where to hide the bodies :anibad:?... or something along those lines :anibad: .

I've changed mine several times... I kinda like mine right now.

I like Briansnat's, there is another one that is similar out there, it escapes me.

I keep being tempted to use Gandalf's: "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death as judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

In fact, I will add it....

I like to read them. I keep a list of the ones I like and look thru it occasionally for a chuckle. Sometimes I will print one out and paste it near my monitor for inspiration.

4leafclover --- I've noticed the URL in yours... KMM is a personal fave of mine. Do you read her, or are you related? ...or are you THE kmm?... (a PM is fine if you prefer not to answer in public)

I'll have to post here, so I can read what mine says. I think it's about hotdogs, which reminds me, Lead Dog wrote a song the other day while feeding the Big Dogs their Hot Dogs : (To the tune of Oscar Meyer Song)

On Hot Dog Day, the Fat dogs get a hot dog;

On Hot dog day, the skinny dogs get three.

On hot dog day, I roast a little Hot Dog,

The Hot Dog that I kept back out for me!

:laughing::D:P

Kit Fox I couldn't agree with your Sig more!!

Iran Embassy Hostages, 1979; · Beirut, Lebanon Embassy

1983; · Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks 1983; · Lockerbie, Scotland Pan-Am flight to New York 1988; · First New York World Trade Center attack 1993; ·Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Khobar Towers Military complex 1996; · Nairobi, Kenya US Embassy 1998; · Dares Salaam, Tanzania US Embassy 1998; · Aden, Yemen USS Cole 2000; New York World Trade Center 2001; Pentagon 2001. Some people still think terrorists aren't a threat to America

Not too long ago, one of the moderators (or maybe it was Jeremy) made a comment that editorial comments and adgendas should be confined to sig lines and forum titles. Maybe this is allowed because there is a blocking feature for them in your control panel. :D:laughing:

Back in the days of BBS (ask your parents if you don't know what that is), the generally accepted rule on sigs was that they should be treated like bumper stickers. You can read them, or ignore them, but if you don't like what one says, you don't ram the other driver and start an argument in the middle of the road.

Not too long ago, one of the moderators (or maybe it was Jeremy) made a comment that editorial comments and agendas should be confined to sig lines and forum titles.  Maybe this is allowed because there is a blocking feature for them in your control panel.  :D  :laughing:

Back in the days of BBS (ask your parents if you don't know what that is), the generally accepted rule on sigs was that they should be treated like bumper stickers. You can read them, or ignore them, but if you don't like what one says, you don't ram the other driver and start an argument in the middle of the road.

Yes, and there were animated bumper stickers with flashing lights, and someone said they were distracting to the other drivers and banned them. I miss those flashy agendas, opinions and just plain nonsensical utterances to the universe; they really spiced up the forum read (and since you can set your preferences to ignore them, I think they should be allowed). :P:D

Sorry friend. I will never sell a geocaching t-shirt where geocaching has a capitol "G." Don't wanna get involved in a lawsuit.

The word is patented by this site. They own the proper word and the largest geocaching website, but they don't own the activity; geocaching with a small "g" for me.

Well, you can't patent a word ... but is "Geocaching" actually trademarked by Groundspeak? I'd read that Groundspeak wanted too, but after an uproar from the membership they backed down from their plans.

Truth or myth?

Not too long ago, one of the moderators (or maybe it was Jeremy) made a comment that editorial comments and adgendas should be confined to sig lines and forum titles. Maybe this is allowed because there is a blocking feature for them in your control panel. :o:lol:

Hmmm. I was told by Groundspeak to stop editorialising certain geocachers in my signature ... or find myself banned. Now I have no sig.

Hmmm. I was told by Groundspeak to stop editorialising certain geocachers in my signature ... or find myself banned. Now I have no sig.

I suspect that the key phrase here is certain geocachers. Try it again, but next time write your editorial comments about a celebrity, or a politician, or a cause or an agenda.

BTW, you do have a sig. It's right below the dotted line; it says: DBC.

I like it (it's nearly symmetrical). :lol::o

I must say you do come up with some very creative and interesting topics for discussion. I tend to think of the signature lines as an individual subliminal message like if you (buy) read between (more) the (cheese) lines they are trying to influence your thoughts. I have changed mine several times to suit my needs and feelings. I get a kick out of reading some of them and following the links that are provided.

Some of my past tag lines

Have pride in yourself and what you do

What, you want a cookie or something

And the current one

The word "Geocaching" HAS been registered as a trademark by Groundspeak. I'd link to a forum post where Jeremy mentions it, but the search feature is unavaiable at the moment.

If memory serves me right, it was done mainly to keep someone else from doing it.

Seems like Jeremy and gang were spot on, since a quick search turns up other attempts to trademark "geocaching", "geocache" and "geocoin". Again, if I remember right, the person attempting to trademark the term geocoin ran one of the first websites specifically for selling geocoins (instead of a generic coin manufacturer) and shot herself in the foot by crediting moun10bike with the term in the faq on her website.

Your memory serves you right, Mopar. Thanks for summarizing the currently unsearchable forum history!

With *that* question answered, I will try to get the thread back on-topic.

I used to feature funny quotes in my sig lines, and I still enjoy reading funny quotes from others.

But I am more interested in promoting the shared bookmark lists, so my sig line has been pretty boring for several months. Information is good too.

One of my current favorites:

"The community which dares not protect its humblest and most hated member in the free utterance of his opinions, no matter how false or hateful, is only a gang of slaves. If there is anything in the universe that can’t stand discussion, let it crack."

-- Wendell Phillips

:lol::o

sept1c_tank I have a question. Are ya'll talking about the little tib-bit of information below everybody's avatar?

Cause I remember long ago when we posted to the forums there was actually a place to have a sig below your actual post.

Maybe I've got my controls set wrong but I don't see it anymore and have not for a while.

Oh my gosh I'm such a dummie!

I just figured out where the sig went! All this time I thought they were gone and I just had to change it in my controls. Hmmm....I don't remember ever messing with my controls before. Oh well case and point why I don't come out and play here very often. Open mouth insert foot, what's new. :o

Carry on y'all I'm leaving now.

Pepper

A search of the US patent and trademark office (uspto.gov) shows that Grounded Inc. has indeed registered a word mark on the word "geocaching," but that no one has registered the word "geocacher."

So relax, it's OK to print a shirt with the word GEOCACHER in big bold letters on the back so we don't get shot by the cops whilst groping for film cans. :o

A search of the US patent and trademark office (uspto.gov) shows that Grounded Inc. has indeed registered a word mark on the word "geocaching," but that no one has registered the word "geocacher."

So relax, it's OK to print a shirt with the word GEOCACHER in big bold letters on the back so we don't get shot by the cops whilst groping for film cans. :o

Interesting concept. The word was coined before this site existed. While it's registered is it valid? I don't think it is by this site or anyone else who would try.