Whats Up With The Connecticut Coin

Rusty O Junk

When did the Connecticut coin become available? Was there a thread I missed or something? Who made and sold them?

I see a bunch of them on eBay now and don't remember them being available to the general public.

Is this another ebay only coin and if so maybe Groundspeak should take a closer look at intended distribution plans before shelling out the tracking numbers.

Opening up a can of worms here Rusty.  The Connectict coin you see on eBay was made by an individual cacher in that State and to date has only been offered for sale on eBay.

Actually this is all incorrect.

There are 5 people involved with the project (all cachers).

They have been sold on eBay, a local event (so far), and to forum members. There have been some released to the wild as well (most haven't been activated yet - but they will be).

-Bryan

Edited by Brywalker
Opening up a can of worms here Rusty.  The Connectict coin you see on eBay was made by an individual cacher in that State and to date has only been offered for sale on eBay.

Actually this is all incorrect.

There are 5 people involved with the project (all cachers).

They have been sold on eBay, a local event (so far), and to forum members. There have been some released to the wild as well (most haven't been activated yet - but they will be).

-Bryan

I stand corrected.

They have been sold on eBay,

Opening another can of worms..........

Just looked at the ebay auctions for this coin. Isn't this against the rules that groudspeak sets forth on tracking numbers? I thought that if you used tracking numbers you were supposed to sell the coins at cost (or just slightly more to cover your expenses). Seeing that the poster who knows so much about these coins (and who I assume was involved in their creation) is also the seller of these coins there is obvioucely som money beign made here on goins selling at a minimum of $16 plus shipping.

I agree maybe Grounspeak needs to take a look at how coins are being sold. I hav eno issue with reasonable buy it now dutch auctions on coins, but this is absurd. I know others sell coins on ebay and make great money but we can't control the unscrupulus coin sellers, the coins maker agrees not to profit on coins using grounspeak tracking numbers or logos.

Opening up a can of worms here Rusty. The Connectict coin you see on eBay was made by an individual cacher in that State and to date has only been offered for sale on eBay.

They may have only been offered for sale on ebay, but I was able to work out a trade easily enough.

Just one email asking for a trade, and it was a done deal. I'm ok with that.

I do know that other people :anibad: who know about the coin have been quiet, because no matter what they say or do, they feel someone will find fault with it. Because we are somewhat vocal Bryan and I have taken a lot of abuse from people here, but as I've said before, we can take it. I don't know that we've EVER said anything negative back, and I feel good about that. We HAVE received an unreal amount of support from outside of the forums as well, and although it is not publicly seen, I do appreciate it. Thank you!

I'm sorry if we offended people, but the point is now moot. We cannot and will not ever please everyone. Contrary to most Geocoin Forum opinions, which may be a tough crowd :anibad: , we are actually regarded as nice people, who are very active within our GC community.

Funny story: Yesterday, we received an email from an individual who was upset with us for selling on eBay, saying we were stealing from the community, and would be ousted from the community, etc. As it turns out, this same individual didn't realize that I use a different eBay ID... He sold me a West Tenn coin last week for $35+! In fact, this may be the first time he reads about it here.

For the record: all of the non-LE coins have started at $10. After we realized how few people were ordering outside of the US we adjusted the shipping to $3 for anywhere. There will be Dutch Auctions. As of last night we had sold over 300 coins; current and former eBay listings are around 24 last time I checked, I believe these are lower in proportion than most of the major coins out there - wouldn't you agree?

They may have only been offered for sale on ebay, but I was able to work out a trade easily enough.

I'm alsmost afraid to ask since I'll be away from the computer the rest of the day but where did you even find a list of people that had the coin to request a trade? I chacked on Coin Tracking and The Caching Place and couldn't seem to find the coin listed on either site.

If anyone reading this has an extra they would like to trade I will have personal coins in Jan/Feb and also have a trading list here

I'm too stubborn for my own good some times. This coin will always be considered in the same category as the Hawaii coin to me. I'll pass.

I'm alsmost afraid to ask since I'll be away from the computer the rest of the day but where did you even find a list of people that had the coin to request a trade? I chacked on Coin Tracking and The Caching Place and couldn't seem to find the coin listed on either site.

If anyone reading this has an extra they would like to trade I will have personal coins in Jan/Feb and also have a trading list here

I just clicked on Brywalker's name, (He posted above in this thread.) and then sent him an email through his profile.

I assumed he was one of the people involved with this coin, and for once, my assumption paid off! :anibad:

I'm too stubborn for my own good some times. This coin will always be considered in the same category as the Hawaii coin to me. I'll pass.

I think I'll try to trade for one once the furor has died down...I would ignore it, but I would like to get one from every state I've cached in, and I've cached in CT.

jamie

Stubborn can be a good thing! Especially when you are an hour out a trail and are having trouble finding an elusive cache! :anibad:

Stubborness will keep you looking until you make the find.

Stubborn can be a good thing! Especially when you are an hour out a trail and are having trouble finding an elusive cache! :anibad:

Stubborness will keep you looking until you make the find.

That get's me in trouble sometimes too:

Completely unrelated to this thread

Thought we could all use a laugh here.

I was just reading the postings and I also have to add that instead of going though e-bay, I contacted Dustiano through GC.com and easily obtained a fair trade (1 on 1) for a coin.

Now, if someone would be so kind as to direct me to Geocoins Anonymous. :anibad: :anibad:

Edited by Big JohnP

Folks, put your popcorn away, this has all been discussed and explained. If you want to trade for a CT coin, or order one, simply email Dustiano or Brywalker and ask if they still have one available. They have posted this before. It is not ONLY offered through ebay. It was not put out by a group, CT doesn't have a group. It seems to me that they have been rather generous with their coin putting quite a few out in the wild for people to find. So go wipe the butter off your fingers, you might drop your GPS.

Folks, put your popcorn away, this has all been discussed and explained. If you want to trade for a CT coin, or order one, simply email Dustiano or Brywalker and ask if they still have one available. They have posted this before. It is not ONLY offered through ebay. It was not put out by a group, CT doesn't have a group. It seems to me that they have been rather generous with their coin putting quite a few out in the wild for people to find. So go wipe the butter off your fingers, you might drop your GPS.

Can't you people read? There was another thread where the ways to obtain a coin was outlined. SEND THEM AN EMAIL!!!

Instead of approaching the people who had the coin made, posters went off on how wrong it is. Oh my, you didn't get it at cost - the horror of it all. These are the people who REALLY want one, but also want CONTROL over how much the seller can sell them for. Do these same people scream and stamp their feet at the gas pumps?

I am very happy to be friends with the team that made the coins. They are extremely reasonable. Trust me, you aren't funding their retirement plans.

Trust me, you aren't funding their retirement plans.

Yeah, and after coming home from a relaxing night out and finding 57 new emails you can bet I am going to WANT to retire after this. :o

I will get through them ASAP. I have a very busy weekend ahead of me, but I WILL ANSWER EVERY SINGLE ONE, PLEASE BE PATIENT!!

I'm sorry about the discouraging comments I made earlier in this thread. I wasn't trying to imply that they were getting rich of the coin but I honestly thought grounspeak still had a policy against making money on coins.

Please accept my apologies, next time I'll do better research before opening my mouth and inserting foot.

I also completly missed the other thread that everyone mentions outlining the ways to get them, I'd go search for it but can't since grounspeak has diasbled the search feature to improve site forum performance.