Travel Bugs On Television Show "lost"

Cachekingers

Hmm... tried a couple possiable numbers. one TB5CFA disappear in CA last year, the other is in Texas TB5F0C last month... maybe I got the wrong numbers

Does anyone else notice it seems like there are three tags, but are none attached to anything? (or maybe they all ended up out of the picture?)

I started to do a search on the little army guy that's on the upper left corner of the keyboard. I tried with the word "soldier" and went from there. I can't quite tell what the little soldier is doing? Sweeping for mines? Anyway, it seemed like the kind of item that would have been attached to one of those tags. There may be some other item in the photo also.

I did find one travel bug soldier same size and color but he was holding a rifle. I didn't have a chance to check them all yet. (Dial-up stinks).

This is kind of a fun hunt though. I checked all of the number combos, they were kind of ify. No smoking gun. Any other thoughts?

Does anyone know a geo-cacher named Happy Hodag? It seems the mysterious photo was first posted on a Lost forum by someone with the user name of Hodag. I'm wondering if there is a connection, given the appearance in the photo of travel bugs as well as $5.00 bills, which could also be part of the "where's george" game, and given that Happy Hodag apparently is a fan of the where's george game and likes photography? :D

You have to be carefull. I don't watch the show and do not want to get hung up on the fictional story line. But I would like to solve the real mystery of how three Groundspeak travel bug tags ended up as a show prop. The clues I was looking for were anything that might have been the actual travel bug. Here is a link from the folks that posted the photo. If someone could chase down these leads, someone may have access to those tags. Now that would be fun to solve.

If you can solve this one, your good. ( No jeep prize though)

http://www.lostlinks.net/#BEHIND%20THE%20SCENES

I would like to solve the real mystery of how three Groundspeak travel bug tags ended up as a show prop.

Here is a link from the folks that posted the photo. If someone could chase down these leads, someone may have access to those tags. Now that would be fun to solve.

If you can solve this one, your good. ( No jeep prize though)

http://www.lostlinks.net/#BEHIND%20THE%20SCENES

Practically every LOST forum around the globe is discussing the photo, and many of us are skeptical that it is from the show's producers, and, thus, it would not be a show prop. Many of us think it is an elaborate prank and are working to solve the mystery of who is behind it.

The first mention of the photo, anywhere, was actually by a poster named Hodag on the lost-tv forum. Hodag claims to have found the photo on a legitimate Disney-owned LOST website under what many consider mysterious and suspicious circumstances. Since Hodag is the one and only source for the picture, that in itself is cause for doubt because the legit websites leave photos, letters, clues, etc up for all to see. They don't appear for an hour and then dissappear, as Hodag claims this one did.

Here is a link to the thread where Hodag first mentions the photo and where it first surfaced. The website you mentioned, lostlinks, posted it a couple of days later.

http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showthre...?t=6670&page=56

The posts from Hodag start at post # 69 and continue for several pages. Then Hodag dissappeared.

Also, if anyone is interested, we have been discussing the photo and its links to travel bugs and trying to unravel the mystery of who or what is behind it on my thread on the abc board. The photo discussion begins on page 5 or 6.

http://forums.go.com/abc/primetime/lost/th...01&forumStart=0

Does anyone know a geo-cacher named Happy Hodag? It seems the mysterious photo was first posted on a Lost forum by someone with the user name of Hodag. I'm wondering if there is a connection, given the appearance in the photo of travel bugs as well as $5.00 bills, which could also be part of the "where's george" game, and given that Happy Hodag apparently is a fan of the where's george game and likes photography? ;)

hmm... I don't know, to me that 5 has a blue seal and redeemer demand note making it a silver certificate. I think they quit issuing those in the 50s or early 60s (1963?). You get put 1963 and 1963a series 5s on Wheresgeorge, but nothing older. Course who knows how well that would circulate...

Anyone want to try and figure out the serial number and series off the bill? maybe see if its been entered at WG?

OK. never even saw the show, but anyone else catch the set of coords in the lower right corner?

Blown up and rotated:

fdc0f2d7-d4e0-4fb3-90d9-9df931f54e9d.jpg

Projected those coords and they are indeed approx. 20 km NE of Jackson , Michigan. However there doesn't appear to be any landmarks present other than Waterloo Munith Rd and Bartig Lake. There does happen to be a cache site nearby: GTW1 Grand Trunk Western 1 (GCP07V).

Edited by Bill & Tammy

I managed to read some of the upside down letter in the photograph. The bottom one.

--------------------------------------

Global He(adquarters?)

Avenue

1211 C??

Switzerland

23 August 2005

To: (???) council

(illegible)

Re: The H???? Life- E???????? Project

Mr. L??????/

It appears that (???big word???) (rest of paragraph illegible)

A fascinating discovery was made immediately after the first of the MRI scans of one (next line.)

(??? and ???) groups While the MRI scans showed (xxx) (xxxxxx) irregularities? some (next line)

subjects

(Rest of document illegible, needs more photo shop work to bring out.)

the 'numbers' ( 4 8 15 16 23 42 ) have been parsed into coordinates, too :lol:

Now, IF the pic was legit...and IF those TBs came from somoene on flight 815, then there might be a GPS kicking around on the island somewhere...

Ahhh, I love it when my addictions overlap! (don't you mtnman? ;) )

Hmmm. one of the bugs it could have been is about half an hour away from me...

Edited by EleriandBlade

The "mind sweeper" TB was dropped into Tikirose's Thorns Cache, MT on 3/6/05. On a log visit dated 9/6/05 there were no TB's in the cache. So it vanished sometime between those dates. I'm not saying it is the one in the picture, but I believe it's missing so it could be. This cache, I believe is close to Yellowstone park.

hmm... I don't know, to me that 5 has a blue seal and redeemer demand note making it a silver certificate. I think they quit issuing those in the 50s or early 60s (1963?). You get put 1963 and 1963a series 5s on Wheresgeorge, but nothing older. Course who knows how well that would circulate...

Anyone want to try and figure out the serial number and series off the bill? maybe see if its been entered at WG?

Got some numbers. Needs some more picture work, plus bill is folded.

026??404

Maybe I can try to fill in all plausible numbers and see if their are any fives.

Breaking news alert:

Hodag has just confessed that the infamous picture was a hoax, and not related to Lost in any official capacity whatsoever. He has expressed remorse about using the travel bugs in the picture and causing the geo caching community to get upset.

Please know that the Hodag who pulled this hoax has just stated for the record that he is NOT connected to the Happy Hodag who posts here in any way.

Here is a link to the website page (on the same website where the picture first surfaced) where he just confessed the whole prank.

http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/showthre...t=6670&page=117

Edited by back_gammon
I've never even seen an episode of Lost, but I found that very interesting to read. Am I the only one who's thinking that if this guy had TB tags me must be a cacher? Who is he?

If you follow the link a couple posts up, the confession...

they explain where some of the items in the picture are from. among other things it says:

I mixed up the names. I consider this my second-worst blunder, though I would have left it in if I had discovered it. (Showing numbers on a travelbug, thereby leading people on a geocaching wild goose chase being my #1 lapse in judgement).

and later in references to the open notebook

It's mildew, from an old wet notebook I used for geocaching.

and later

3-Putt #532- "Did you see that someone there found this ? Quite a coincidence. (Notice that the owner is from Michigan.) http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=53881 "

The minesweeper travelbug is a coincidence. Please leave those poor geocachers alone. I feel guilty that they were dragged into my joke, especially the one that was in memory of someone who died.