Magellan Map Question

bigbiker

Already have TOPO USA byDelorme. Now it looks like have to buy more map software from Magellan to make Explorist 400 complete. Only want maps on AL, TN, GA, MS. Have read Magellan Map Send instruction with points to 149 bucks to get maps. What are the best options?

Edited by bigbiker
Already have TOPO USA byDelorme.  Now it looks like have to buy more map software from Magellan to make Explorist 400 complete.  Only want maps on AL, TN, GA, MS.  Have read Magellan Map Send instruction with points to 149 bucks to get maps.  What are my options.  BTW, have posted couple of really dumb questions and got helpful comments.  Has my luck ran out!

Go to e-bay. Be sure that you are getting the most current version of MAGELLAN MAPSEND DirectRoute Software (98065403). For: eXplorist 400, eXplorist 500, eXplorist 600, Meridian Color, Meridian Platinum, Meridian Gold, Meridian Marine, SporTrak Pro, SporTrak Color, SporTrak Pro Marine.

If you need the Topo stuff, then: 'New Magellan Mapsend TOPO 3D USA CD GPS'

I think that there might be a couple of other MapSend products available but these seem most relevant. You might want to visit Thales Navigation's www site for info on all options and their features. Then to e-bay for the money part. ;-)

Either can be had for less than $70.00 each. Happy caching Dude!! ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati

I own the Magellan Topo software, and just bought a Lowrance iFinder Pro and the LEI Map Creat 6 software. The Magellan topo maps show much more topo detail and the images are more realistic. The Map Create 6 images are linear - they apparently haven't figured out how to draw curves.

More importantly I have found a significant difference in the actual lat/long readings between the units. The Magellan software is very close to the readings given in Delorme Topo Software, but the LEI MapCreate numbers are different by a couple hundred feet. So far I've only done this on the computer by putting the cursor on the same place in each piece of software. I don't know myself what these numbers mean, but here's the result

Delorme Topo W93.48.417

Magellan Topo W93.48.42

MapCreate 6 W93.48.249

In the area I was looking at I'd have to know how to tread water if I used the MapCreate reading but my Magellan GPS.

Anyone know why this is?

It depends on one's use...but in general, I think autorouting is so valuable that I recommend DirectRoute over Topo3D. If you don't plan to autoroute much in the car, and expect to hike more, then Topo3D makes more sense.

Edit: if you can find older versions of MapSend Topo USA or MapSend Streets & Destinations, you don't care about autorouting or map accuracy too much, and you're really on a tight budget, then those choices might make sense. The newer programs are better in seveal ways, though.

Edited by embra
Team C have you had good luck with e-bay concerning GPS add ons?  My wife is a frequent buyer of other goods.  I haven't bought anything on e-bay so I am only asking if your experince purchasing GPS related stuff has been positive?  Is there a particular seller I should look for?

Use sellers with lots of sales and high positive feedback. Most importantly, use PayPal to pay for the purchase. Also, check several sellers, now a days, bidding vs 'buy it now' prices are not much different, especially on new stuff like laptop mapping packages from the GPSr vendors like magellan and garmin. And if you value your time for other things than monitoring bidding. I have bought several items on ebay and sold a couple. Specifically I purchased my copy of Mapsend Streets on ebay also my original canvass carry case, serial to usb adapter for waypoint uploads to the gpsr.....stuff like that, No problemo!! There are always 'horror' stories floating around, don't worry just shop smart like your wife surely does.

Edited by Team Cotati
After a little research I think I like the autorouting capabilities of MapSend Direct Route.  I do have a question though.  The Magellan website states I must have 5.0 software or higher.  How do I tell what version I have on my GPSr?

During start up the firmware version appears on the very first screen on the magellan gold. Go to the magellan corporate www site magellangps.com and go to support for your model and download the current version. Follow the instructions for up dating you unit. Smooth as long as you follow the instructions.

Edited by Team Cotati
Okay, can I assume the "03" in the 980654-03 means it is version 3.0? My problem is I have been watching the Magellan site for a long time and kinda thought they would make an announcement of some kind.

I hope that I haven't inadvertantly given the impression that I have some special knowledge of magellan's software release dates or methods. If the magellan www site and it's support options do not contain the info...then you are on your own. Assume as you will. ;-)