Would This Work?

unicyclist

My idea would be to put a Propane Tank next to a old wooden cabin on my sister's in-laws land. It would have a square cut it to it and then replaced with two hinges and a rubber "lip" for a seal. It would be a find with many swags in it so alot of my area would enjoy it not being a micro. Would this work or do you have any better ideas for a Propane Tank

tank_propane_cons.jpg

(but a little bit shorter)

EDIT: (Hank Hill would be pround of me)

Edited by unicyclist
It would be a find with many swags in it so alot of my area would enjoy it not being a micro.

"swags"? Is that like mices and deers?

I think it's slang for a group of the Austrialian 'swagman', "a gathering of swags". And did you know, swag is the pack or bundle containing the personal belongings of a swagman. uh-huh, it sure is.

Edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce
Doesn't surprise you does it BD? :lol:  :)

For you? No, no it doesn't, and I've had the honor of doing one of Cybret's. Unfortunately the cache doesn't allow divulging the details of the unique location. (But I have pictures!)

I checked the cache and yes there are pictures posted, but still.

Edited by BlueDeuce
It would be a find with many swags in it so alot of my area would enjoy it not being a micro.

I think it's slang for a group of the Austrialian 'swagman', "a gathering of swags". And did you know, swag is the pack or bundle containing the personal belongings of a swagman. uh-huh, it sure is.

Well... not exactly. The use of word that geocacher utilizes predates the Australian meaning. It comes from "swag" as referring to a shop that sold cheap trinkets (though even that is not its original meaning). It then changed to mean a robber's stolen goods, a meaning it retained for nearly 2 centuries. Only relatively recently has it begun to return to the "cheap trinkets" meaning, as people use it to refer to promotional give-away items.

But the point I was making in my post is that swag is a collective noun. So whether or not it's one or a thousand items, it's still just "swag", not "swags".

Safety concerns aside, I would NEVER approach a private cabin in the woods unless it was an emergency and I needed help ASAP. It would be like walking up to someones home that I have no business being at. What if I got my coordinates wrong (or interpreted them wrong)? What if your sister is having a getaway with her special someone? If I were her, I wouldn't want to have people unexpectedly walking up and snooping about. What if her dogs were loose? What if MY dogs were loose? Too much trouble a-brewing for my taste.

/I have no dogs, but you get the idea.

Well... not exactly. The use of word that geocacher utilizes predates the Australian meaning. It comes from "swag" as referring to a shop that sold cheap trinkets (though even that is not its original meaning). It then changed to mean a robber's stolen goods, a meaning it retained for nearly 2 centuries. Only relatively recently has it begun to return to the "cheap trinkets" meaning, as people use it to refer to promotional give-away items.

But the point I was making in my post is that swag is a collective noun. So whether or not it's one or a thousand items, it's still just "swag", not "swags".

Throughout Australia, I have heard the term swag referring to (a bundle of) personal items, but more specifically, in Australia, swag refers to a rather bulky bedroll that is generally waterproof and used in all conditions in the outback. Swag is both singular and plural.

I think the propane tank has real possibilities, but you would have to be very careful about how you presented it on the cache page; I think Snoogans' idea is priceless (but then I would). :anibad::anibad:

Team Firebird

"you should not encourage people opening up doors in propane tanks. also, you need to have a warning like "Do not try this at home, or you will seriously regret it."

I see what you mean by the warning because somone will try to cut open a full tank. :laughing:

New England nOOb

"Safety concerns aside, I would NEVER approach a private cabin in the woods unless it was an emergency and I needed help ASAP"

The private cabin was not used in the last 4 years. It is kinda antique looking. I would give corndniates of where to park and how to get there.[/color]

DestJocky

1. Have you ever torched or cut a hole in a tank like this before? There are some safety concerns here.

2. Water tight?

3. How you going to keep people from climbing in?

4. How are you going to keep people from tossing stuff out of easy reach?

1. My friend is a teacher at a metal working class.

2. I would think it would be with a ruber "lip" that would wrap around the lid and would secure it, i think it would :D .

3. I have a tank that is 3ft. long, I could not find a tank of that size with a picture.

4. Basicly the same as three but the lid would not be on the end half-sphere it would be on the flat cylinder.

The propane smell would be bad, good point John X

Edited for Common Sense

Edited by unicyclist

This cache is just right up my alley. I've seen people torch/cut tanks in half for grills and such. However when a company disposes of a tank, I think it has to be filled with water and left open for several months according to law. If you remove the valves and guages et al, and fill it with water for several weeks, I'd say it may be safe to cut. Stress MAY. The Ethyl Mercarptan or ever how you spell it would hang around for quite a while. You might could build a container inside of it to hold the swag so it don't start stinking.

Lastly I would suggest leaving the valves and stuff out of it to keep some poor unsuspecting bulk truck driver like myself from trying to fill it.

Ron

I have a 30# tank cut into a jack-o-lantern. Pretty cool with a orange light bulb in the socket. For backgrounds sake, cut/torched by the pressure test facility at the local welding supply company my ex used to work at. It didn't stink when first brought home either. Every tank cutting story or instruction I've heard included water in it. Be a heck of a BOOM(!) if you don't. That aforementioned welding company had a oxy tank that someone had ignited via cigarette, split right down the middle and heard citywide when it went off. Prominently on display inside the front entrance, right next to the No Smoking sign. Amazing the amount of people who had to pitch their cigarettes at the door!!

This guy decides his life needs spice, and decides to learn to skydive. Signs up for classes at a local airport, where they teach him basic principles - here's how a chute is packed, here's the O-ring you pull to open it; jump, count, pull - simple.

Excited but concerned the dude asks "What if I pull that O-ring and it doesn't work?", to which the instructor replies "No worries, reach around here and there's a D-ring, pull it, an emergency chute opens, it'll open the main chute. Enjoy the ride."

Satisfied, he signs the waiver and climbs in a plane. Up they go, over the target zone, instructor yells "Jump!" and he's out!

Streaking through the sky is exhilirating but he remembers the count he'd been taught "One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand" and pulls the O-ring. Nothing happens - O-ring comes right off in his hand.

A moment of panic and he remembers the emergency chute, and relieved, reaches for the D-ring and pulls it. Nada. No workee.

Seriously concerned now, he looks down at the rapidly approaching ground and thinks "This is gonna hurt".

As he ponders the approaching earth he sees something growing bigger faster than anything else - why, it's a man, going up!

Grasping at his last opportunity, as the two pass the same altitude, he hollers at the upwardly mobile man and asks "Hey, you know anything about parachutes?"

The ascending geocacher hollers back "Naw, you know anything about propane?"

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The REAL problem when considering the use of a torch to cut an empty propane tank is this:

When propane gas sits in a tank under pressure for a long time, small amounts of the gas condense out as Einstein-Bose Propane Condensate (aka EBPC), which is a kind of subatomic nuclear condensate, forming super-dense crystals of EBPC on the tank wall. Even if a tank is totally emptied and aired out for weeks, and even if washed well, these incredibly heavy but tiny crystals remain. If one were to then try to use a torch to cut the tank, the EBPC crystals would explode with the force of about ten billion atomic bombs, destroying the earth and the sun as well. Worse, the force of the explosion would even destroy most geocaches within a 55 mile radius, execept for lamppost micros in magnetic keyholders, which are indestructible.

Okay...

sigh...

...I found my meds. I am feeling calmer now, and no longer feel the incredible and irresistable compulsion to write about the horrible things that Einstein-Bose Propane Condensate can do if ignited. I will go take my nap now.

Cutting a used propane tank open really seems like a bad idea. Right up there with poking bears with sticks. There's a reason the bomb squad (sometimes) gets called when propane tanks are found on the side of the road.....

While I have a method in mind for achieving what you are trying to do, I shall reserve that information for my own demise. <_<

Einstein-Bose Propane Condensate (aka EBPC), which is a kind of subatomic nuclear condensate, forming super-dense crystals of EBPC on the tank wall.

Don't do that to me.... I'm thinking I've been a volunteer FF for 15+ years... worked for a propane company for 2 years. And Ive never heard that. Couldn't figure out what they hey you were talking about.

Glad that medicine helps.

Ron

fire fighter and propane guy here, yes, propane tanks can be scary with the thought of cutting torches, but i cut one in half useing a torch and saws-all, put hindges on the back side and put it on it's side and use it as a BBQ grill. the tank sat outside for two years, open to the atmosphere, then filled with water and cut.

P.S. don't try this at home. :lol:

Tim

Maybe!! Over the years I've cut both propane and oil tanks to build props for firefighting classes. I wouldn't cut into a propane tank that wasn't FILLED with water (YES it is much harder to cut when full, NO it won't stay full while you are cutting it). The methyl mercaptain smell tends to linger even after flushing with water and being cut open. Bruce

srt4guy, if you leave the valve open for 2 weeks would all the propane be out?

No, this is a prescription for death. Best way to be sure that all propane has been voided is to open valve for a while, and then fill tank with water and let it sit for a few days, but even then you must ensure that no pockets or propane gas remain in high spots at top of tank.

3.  How you going to keep people from climbing in?

4.  How are you going to keep people from tossing stuff out of easy reach?

If you cut it big enough FOR people to climb in (like in the bottom os back side out of plain view so people could easily get out again), then #4 wouldn't be a problem :D

Nor would it be for vicious little forest creatures!! :D

Ever cornered a P.O.'ed mama 'Possum?!? ;)

Trust me, they don't back down!

Once had a Retriever that had to have close to 200 stitches because it cornered one on our carport.

'Possum = 1

Dog = 0

:P:D:D

D-man :D