New Type Of Box

bobbarley

I tried doing a search but that feature doesn't seem to work for me right now. I looked manually but most discussions revolve around the ammo can.

My question is, has anyone has tried this product and what have been the results?

They even come already cammoed! They are lockable too.

I can buy one locally for 15 bucks (canadian).

But do they hold up?

I visited a local cache about a year ago that uses one of these boxes and it was very wet inside. We dried it out and put most of the trade items in new ziplocs. The few logs I've seen on that cache since then also note how wet the cache is and the last log stated that the logbook was so wet it was unsignable. When I was at the cache it appeared that the seal around the lid had just worn out and cracked in a few places. Those boxes are probably ok for light use on a fishing or hunting expedition but I don't think they hold up too well being left exposed to the elements for extended periods of time. For CDN$15 you can get a fairly large Lock & Lock container which have proven themselves to be quite durable and resistant to the elements. Of course, like any container, you have to ensure that the lid seal is not fouled or obstructed when replacing the lid.

In the description it says "water resistant."

Ammo cans are waterproof, as are "Lock 'n Locks" if they are closed properly.

I would get something that is definitely waterproof.

Yep. I bought 2 dry boxes. I abandoned the idea of using them after finding 2 caches hidden in them. YUCK. Wet and nasty.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I hope I wouldn't get beaten with an ammo can but it was inevitable. I am also a big fan of them. I was just inquiring about other types.

Sorry.

Just a note, nothing is waterproof. Many things come darn close but eventually everything will leak given time and circumstance. Even the hallowed ammo can.(end blasphemy)

Edited by bobbarley
Thanks for all the quick replies. I hope I wouldn't get beaten with an ammo can but it was inevitable. I am also a big fan of them. I was just inquiring about other types.

Sorry.

Ammo cans make fine cache containers and even though I use them for a couple of my caches I find them to be a tad large for most of my caches. As a fellow Canadian, you've probably noticed that ammo cans are not all that readily available in Canada and those that are available (Princess Auto) are usually expensive and/or pretty battered up. Those reasons are probably why Lock & Locks are the containers of choice in my neck of the woods. The only caveat with L&L's is that camo paint doesn't adhere to them very well unless you lightly, but thoroughly, sand them first. I've discovered that, if you have the equipment available, sandblasting them works quite well and is far less labour intensive than hand sanding.

Ammo cans do have a drawback - they are scarey looking. There are lots of urban and semi-urban places where an ammo can will fit but shouldn't be used. Rubbermaid is cost-competitive, seals well and is much less threatening. You should really only use ammo cans in places where you are certain that your cache won't be stumbled upon by accident.

Ammo cans are waterproof ...

I'm not so sure about that. They're just metal. They have no seal. Sure they lock up tightly, but without a rubber seal that metal-against-metal seal sn't going to help much. Submerge a couple in your tub over night to see how water-proof they are (of course without wave action and water circulation such a test isn't conclusive entirely). I'm sure they're fairly water-resistant, but to be water-proof you'd be in submerging them. I wouldn't be comfortable using one for an underwater cache.

Edited by dogbreathcanada
The only caveat with L&L's is that camo paint doesn't adhere to them very well unless you lightly, but thoroughly, sand them first.

True, Krylon Camo does not work well on them as is. Sanding is a must. But, if you want to forgo sanding, you can use dark green Krylon Plastic as the base. I find it bonds remarkably well to the Lock&Lock plastic (I've seen no paint chipping on my caches yet), and then use light coats of Krylon Camo on top of the Krylon Plastic base.

Ammo cans do have a drawback - they are scarey looking. There are lots of urban and semi-urban places where an ammo can will fit but shouldn't be used. Rubbermaid is cost-competitive, seals well and is much less threatening. You should really only use ammo cans in places where you are certain that your cache won't be stumbled upon by accident.

That's exactly my philosophy too. Use the ammo cans for the really out-of-the-way hides. Lock & Locks for everything else. Though, if I have a cache that will be exposed to all 4 Canadian seasons and will see few visits, I tend to go with a small Lock&Lock, as they tend to hold up better to the constant changes in the elements.

I'm not so sure about that. They're just metal. They have no seal. Sure they lock up tightly, but without a rubber seal that metal-against-metal seal sn't going to help much.

I don't know how waterproof they are, but ammo cans certainly do have a rubber seal in the lid. At least all the ammo cans that I own do.

I'm not so sure about that. They're just metal. They have no seal. Sure they lock up tightly, but without a rubber seal that metal-against-metal seal sn't going to help much. Submerge a couple in your tub over night to see how water-proof they are (of course without wave action and water circulation such a test isn't conclusive entirely). I'm sure they're fairly water-resistant, but to be water-proof you'd be in submerging them. I wouldn't be comfortable using one for an underwater cache.

Ammo cans do have a rubber seal in the lid. And they are quite waterproof. I would be comfortable using one for an underwater cache.

Maybe Canadian ammo boxes aren't waterproof, but all the ammo boxes I use have a rubber seal and are waterproof as long as the seal is good. If it deteriorates or if something gets caught in it all bets are off.

I have one cache in an ammo box that is underwater periodically and it's dry as a bone inside.

I have one of the blaze orange ones in the wild. I got it last year for free. It has held up fairly well. It does not secure as well as an ammo can and the foam seal is not really that good. I hid this in a location somewhat out of the weather and so far so good. I world rather use ammo cans, I love the sounds they make, the smell and the weight.

It's nice to try to find another type of cache container and you're also seeking info on this particular type. Last week I found one that looked like the box you are talking about and it was like an ice tray. I'm still baffled how water could enter it in the manner it was hidden but it was definitely water logged. I wouldn't suggest trying it for a container.

I'm not so sure about that. They're just metal. They have no seal. Sure they lock up tightly, but without a rubber seal that metal-against-metal seal sn't going to help much.

I don't know how waterproof they are, but ammo cans certainly do have a rubber seal in the lid. At least all the ammo cans that I own do.

Well, I went to check my ammo can again, the one I have ready to go for a future series. And no rubber seal in the lid. Then I went and grabbed the two other ammo cans I have to check them ... and voila! rubber seals. So I just transferred all the goodies to one of the good ammo cans. Now looking at the bad can, the lid is the same as the others minus the seal. I wonder if the seal rotted out or was pulled out by some previous owner? Weird, well, this non-sealed can is destined for the trash then.

I have come across at least one can, laying on its side under a log in a big puddle of water that was soaked inside. Of course, it was rusting away too, so probably rusted out around the seal.

Well, I went to check my ammo can again, the one I have ready to go for a future series. And no rubber seal in the lid. Then I went and grabbed the two other ammo cans I have to check them ... and voila! rubber seals. So I just transferred all the goodies to one of the good ammo cans. Now looking at the bad can, the lid is the same as the others minus the seal. I wonder if the seal rotted out or was pulled out by some previous owner? Weird, well, this non-sealed can is destined for the trash then.

I have come across at least one can, laying on its side under a log in a big puddle of water that was soaked inside. Of course, it was rusting away too, so probably rusted out around the seal.

American ammo cans have a seal and are pretty much water resistant. They have been known to be submersed under a couple feet of water for extended periods of time with no significant water intrusion.

Also, the ammo cans we purchase tend to not be "new", so perhaps the source of these non-sealing cans needs to be looked into a bit more.

Also there was a reference earlier about ammo can prices...

Dryboxes - $15 - $25 and are good stuff.

Ammo cans - As low as $2.50 each (pallett of 144), as high as $15 if you don't shop around. Typically, I see them for $8-$10 at the local gun shop or military surplus store.

Edited by Sadie
I have one of the blaze orange ones in the wild. I got it last year for free. It has held up fairly well. It does not secure as well as an ammo can and the foam seal is not really that good. I hid this in a location somewhat out of the weather and so far so good.

I think I found the cache you're referring to. (little concrete "bunker" area out on SGL 109?) I was glad it was orange, as there were 4 of us in a race to find it. :anibad:

I've found a couple tackle-box types of containers, and while none was "bone dry" they were all in fairly decent shape. Gotta agree with the ammo can though, no denying it's water tightness. Never found one that was wet on the inside.

Weird, well, this non-sealed can is destined for the trash then.

DBC, don't toss the leaky ammo can. They make great storage boxes. I use one like you described as a first aid kit which fits under the seat of my truck. I replaced the missing seal with weatherstipping from Home Depot. Not nearly as good as the original seal, so it probably wouldn't serve as a cache container, but it keeps my bandaids dry. :anibad:

Weird, well, this non-sealed can is destined for the trash then.

DBC, don't toss the leaky ammo can. They make great storage boxes. I use one like you described as a first aid kit which fits under the seat of my truck. I replaced the missing seal with weatherstipping from Home Depot. Not nearly as good as the original seal, so it probably wouldn't serve as a cache container, but it keeps my bandaids dry. :anibad:

It would work fine that way here in the desert. Although it does rain pretty good on occasion, we typically don't have the moisture issues that other places have.

Ammo cans do have a rubber seal in the lid. And they are quite waterproof. I would be comfortable using one for an underwater cache.

I have an ammo can cache that's submurged in a few feet of water in a river. Occasional logs mention dampness, but for what it's subjected to, it 's held up very well so far. I'm considering hiding a second one under 15 feet of water in the same river at some point (I'll test it first to see if there's enough of a pressure difference at 15 feet to cause a problem).

I tried doing a search but that feature doesn't seem to work for me right now. I looked manually but most discussions revolve around the ammo can.

My question is, has anyone has tried this product and what have been the results?

They even come already cammoed! They are lockable too.

I can buy one locally for 15 bucks (canadian).

But do they hold up?

The only cache I have found hidden in one of these containers is wet and nasty and moldy, and almost laways has a half-inch of water in it, perhaps due to condensation thru poor lid seals, or perhaps due to outright leaks.

In the description it says "water resistant."

Ammo cans are waterproof, as are "Lock 'n Locks" if they are closed properly.

I would get something that is definitely waterproof.

I would expect for lock-n-locks to be very water resistant, because of the ring, but I've found over and over from experience that they are not quite. They're good, but not perfect. Even if rain doesn't get inside them, and even when they are closed properly, somehow moisture can condense in them, even in our very dry eastern washington climate.