Maps For My Garmin 60cs

klenger

New member here and new to geochaching. Not new to GPS's. I just got a Garmin 60cs and have noticed that the map used on the software CD that came with the unit is more detailed than the map on the GPS. Can this map be uploaded to the GPS? If so, I assume that I need to get an unlock code as the upload option is grayed out. I am also planning on getting the US topo map. Does it have streets, roads, trails, etc?

The MapSource product that comes with the 60CS is "Trip and Waypoint Manager". It contains no usable map data for the GPSr. The map that is visible in the program is simply a background map on which to view your waypoints, routes and tracks.

The best MapSource product for your model is City Select 7. It will give you more detailed maps in the program and allow you to upload that map data to the GPSr. That map data will give you the ability to lookup addresses and points of interest and allow you to autoroute to your desired destination.

Edited by Neo_Geo
I use the Street Pilot 6220 for vehicle navigation and really don't want to spend any more money for street maps for the 60CS.

I presume you mean an SP 2620. If it were a 2610 you could get a free second unlock for the CityNavigator maps and use them in the 60cs. Don't know if Garmin will provide a DVD for owners of the 2620 to do the same thing but it might be worth a call to check.

I have had a 60C for 10 months now. I basically use it for geocaching and have had no need for extra map software. I just bought my son the same unit for Christmas and I am looking for map software for him to use in Europe next summer as a college student. I looked at what Garmin has available and unfortunately it doesn't cover where he will be most of the time. He will be traveling mostly in Eastern Europe-Poland, Hungary, Romania, Russia, Czech (Prague is in the Garmin recommended software). IS there an eastern European mapping software that works with the 60C? Any other thooughts? Thanks, Melissa

editted for spelling

Edited by Moo and Wug Smith
He will be traveling mostly in Eastern Europe-Poland, Hungary, Romania, Russia, Czech (Prague is in the Garmin recommended software). IS there an eastern European mapping software that works with the 60C? Any other thooughts? Thanks, Melissa

editted for spelling

Garmin's WorldMap provides basemap-type coverage of the entire world. Although not very detailed and also getting dated, it can be much better than not having any maps at all.

Some of the areas you mention are covered by detailed maps provided by the 3rd-party providers listed on Garmin's website:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mpc/ Note that these are not sold by Garmin but they are compatible with their receivers, incl. the 60c. You might also try the free maps available at the MapCenter:

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ These vary in quality, but are often quite good. They can be loaded either using MapSource or the SendMap program available at cgpsmapper.com.