Science Fair Help!

Blackwell4

Science teacher here....

Many times scientists set up experiments that they think will work only to find out that they needed to do something different to learn what they really wanted to know.

You might want to discuss this with your teacher before changing the plan.

Your "experiment" doesn't have to work out just like you thought it would to be a good project. You just have to do the steps of the scientific method correctly and analyze any results correctly.

Your plan didn't work out like you thought it would, but it was still a good plan. It is still interesting (a lot more interesting than just asking people if they have dogs or not).

You do not have to change methods in the middle just becaause you didn't get enough responses (or you wouldn't have to if you were MY student, I should say). All you have to do now is figure out why you didn't get the amount of data that you thought you would get...and suggest a revised plan that the next scientist could use to get better amounts of data.

Another thing to think about....this idea to poll the foum members has some problems with it too. A poll of the people on the forums who have dogs vs the people who don't is not a poll of ALL geocachers (many people never even read the forums, much less post in them).

Edited to try to correct the obvious typos.

I agree muchly with Team Neos.

However, for the other side of the coin, we have one dog, one cat, three guinea fowl, two geese, one duck, and about 35 chickens.

She's got a behind on her as wide as a pig.  Snickers I mean.  I want to make that perfectly clear.  Too close to Christmas to get in hot water.

She might as well be a pig.  If there is mud or water she's in it.  Snickers I mean.

On the Right or Left?

:laughing::D:P

Edit to make sure you know I'm kidding. :D

Mrs says you better be kidding or she'll send Snickers over to deposit 'land mines' in your yard. :D

We're located in Maryland. We are a team consisting of two families. The other half of the team has two iguanas, a dog, and a ferret.

Our family has two sugar gliders. Sugar gliders are marsupials, like kangaroos or possums. They come from Australia. They are nicknamed sugar gliders because they like to eat fruit and they have flaps of skin between their front and back legs that allow them to glide from trees much like flying squirrels. Here is a picture.

sglid1.jpg

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Buddy our poodle loves to go caching with us. :o Some parks do not allow dogs so I have to leave him in the car with my wife while I hike to the cache. Buddy isn't happy about that at all. Neither am I. He spends the whole time looking out the window waiting for me to return! :huh: When he can go, he isn't much help in finding the cache. But, he often knows how to get back to the car better than I do. He seems to smell the track back which is pretty cool. :lol:

You can visit my page by clicking on my name on the left. Then click on Images to see all the pictures of Buddy caching. You can copy any of them for your fair if you'd like. Good luck. I hope you get first prize or an "A". :lol:

Edited by Alan2

I have a ferret. Though I've heard of people who actually "walk" them, we do not take him geocaching.

But I think your theory is sound. I am certainly a dog wannabe. Growing up I had a dog from when I was 6 until college. Though I live in a condo, they do allow dogs (hey they allow ferrets so I would assume dogs!), but decided we'll wait until the kids are older to get a small dog when they'll be more willing to go out with me and walk him or her.

Good luck with your Science Fair project, sorry to her your TB got "stuck".

Edited by hairymon
1 Black Lab/Rotweiller mix

1 Black Lab (deceased)

1 Black Cat

2 other Black cats (deceased)

Can you see a patern here? :rolleyes:

2 Long haired hamsters

1 Russian hamster

1 Wife

2 Daughters

and me of course!! :unsure:

I feel like I am going to the zoo every time I come home.

Time to get those black cats out of the house and buried... :D

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

My geocaching name is actually my Welsh Spring Spaniel's name. When I refer to him in my logs, it's usually as the REAL Quoddy. He has been caching with me from my very first cache, and has done most of the 905 caches I've done. He's only missed the "No Pets" cache areas and also during a brief time-off due to injury.

c606f3cb-669d-4531-bb6c-b0c19d8e7936.jpg

1 Black Lab (deceased)

1 Black Cat

Can you see a patern here? :rolleyes:

2 Long haired hamsters

1 Russian hamster

1 Wife

2 Daughters

and me of course!! :unsure:

Yes. I see the pattern.

What do those hamsters have against black animals, and how are they killing them?

:D

Good luck on your science fair project! All theses have to start somewhere, and in science, you will often find that even though the answer you expected is not what you get, the data is important to someone.

Anyway... We have 1 dog, 4 cats, about 40 fish, and 6 hamsters. Our dog frequently goes caching with us, and really seems to enjoy the treks in the woods. If you click on our name, and check the gallery, there are at least 2 pictures with Honey in there.

The cats, fish, and hamsters stay at home.

Hello from The Amigos in Abilene, TX. We have 4 dogs, 1 or 2 of which cache with us sometimes. We cache with our daughter and son-in-law. They have 2 dogs that cache with them. one of these is a brindle-colored Pit Bull who is the goofiest, sweetest dog you will ever meet. She likes to play hide-and-seek, and loves to climb trees. She even has her very own tree house! We also cache with the rest of our family, which consists of another daughter, 2 sons, 1 future daughter-in-law, and a nephew. Cacheing is a wonderful way to spend valuable time with your family. We hope your project goes well. Post a note later and let everyone know! Good Luck! Mommy Amigo

We have two dogs (one of whom sometimes comes along) and a cat.

I think that you are as likely to get a response from petless people on this thread as pet owners because your thread title did not mention pets. Of course pet owners may be more likely to answer your question simply because they like to prattle on about their pets.

QUOTE (jlday70 @ Dec 17 2005, 09:13 AM)

1 Black Lab (deceased)

1 Black Cat

Can you see a patern here? 

2 Long haired hamsters

1 Russian hamster

1 Wife

2 Daughters

and me of course!! 

Yes. I see the pattern.

What do those hamsters have against black animals, and how are they killing them?

I don't know but I think they have been conspiring with each other. :D The humans in the family have to pay them protection money :P Just can't seem to figure out what we are being protected from :D

The only reason the current cat is alive is because he killed one of the hamster gang leaders. :)

Team SSH and dad have one pound puppy, a 6 year old ChowChow-Border Collie mix named Greta. She's brown and black and blends right into the hardwood floors at night. And she can move verrrryy quickly when someone walks nearby. I've almost stepped on her, but she's fast!

Good luck on your project. You need to let us all know how it turned out!

Hi there

I'm a new geocacher from Long Island NY and a science teacher in New York City, so I had to help you out here. Sorry to tell you this, but I have a cat, not a dog.

I used to have dogs, but the older I get, the more I value a cat's independence. They can be left alone for days while I travel. I noted that some geocachers who replied to you also have cats. Maybe they also feel that dogs tie them down. And since geocaching is very much about traveling around to find the caches, perhaps that could be part of the reason that you are not getting your expected results.

Great idea for a project. Don't get discouraged just because you didn't get the results you hoped for. Science is not about always finding answers. It's about looking for patterns in the data. And doing a science fair project is not about finding a conclusive answer to your question, but about learning the procedure that good scientists follow to investigate their questions. Good luck with your project.

Lainie (otherwise known as Mrs. C to my science students)

Edited by Lainie

I've been caching about 2 years. I have 2 painted turtles, some guppies, a cat and a ferret. I just got the ferret in July, and plan to start taking him caching now that I got my own GPS for Christmas. I moved far away from my hometown and my caching partner in August, so now maybe Zorro the ferret can be my new partner!