High-tech Hunt Gets Mixed State Response

geospyder

"When I have a problem is when people visit someone's grave just to earn a point and a smiley face," said Rep. Catherine Ceips. "You still have to respect people's privacy."
Boy, what a [expletive deleted by geognerd]. Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. As Julia Roberts said, if you look up "Republican" in the dictionary, it comes up between "reptile" and "repugnant." She's also taken donations from RJ Reynolds tobacco.

How much privacy do dead people need? Birds crap on their grave markers all the time. Who are these numbnuts that keep feeding all the misinformation to these politicians? Politicians are always so quick to defend dead people, children, and women just so they sound like the great protectors of society. I've only found 2 caches in cemeteries, or 0.59% of my total. Neither required crawling on grave markers or defacing anything. Politicians are frigging morons. They open their mouths and talk about stuff they know nothing about.

Edited by geognerd

I have gotten more history lessons in cemeteries then most kids get in 1 year of school and I think that I tread very lightly when looking for caches in cemeteries maybe for some people its about the smiliy but the majority of my finds i walked away feeling a little bit better about the world we live in

Boy, what a [expletive deleted by geognerd]. Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. .

Politicians are frigging morons. They open their mouths and talk about stuff they know nothing about.

By the way, she knows what you are saying about her, so don't be stupid and make comments like that. She reads these forums and you only give her more reasons to give us a bad name.

Boy, what a [expletive deleted by geognerd].  Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. .

Politicians are frigging morons.  They open their mouths and talk about stuff they know nothing about.

By the way, she knows what you are saying about her, so don't be stupid and make comments like that. She reads these forums and you only give her more reasons to give us a bad name.

Good. I hope my comments are seen.

Boy, what a [expletive deleted by geognerd].  Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. .

Politicians are frigging morons.  They open their mouths and talk about stuff they know nothing about.

Good. I hope my comments are seen.

Good I also hope you like giving geocaching a bad name for us in South Carolina. Your not here, you have no clue.

Geoholic is exactly right. I know from personal experience that at least some of the legislators have been reading these forums.

Right now we are working with South Carolina senators and representatives on this proposed law. The bill will probably be up for votes in the last half of January. Taking out your frustrations on politicians you've never met and making insulting remarks here does not make it any easier for the legislators to work with us.

I believe we'll get better results by keeping our remarks civil on these public forums.

Jon

(oh, and by the way, the support (and opposition) to the bill crosses party lines)

j

Edited by ikim & noj
More proof that those who think geocaching is about earning points and smiley faces are anal-rententive.

That's right. While for some people geocaching is about earning "points", for many, if not most of us, its about discovering new and interesting places. If a cache brings me to an historic cemetery that I didn't know about, that's great and one of the chief reasons I participate in this sport.

Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. As Julia Roberts said, if you look up "Republican" in the dictionary, it comes up between "reptile" and "repugnant."

Actually I'm surprised that she's a Republican. We're supposed to be for limited government.

Something has changed in the past 20 years. The Democrats are starting to watch the budget and Reblicans to spend...Not to mention that the Patriot act would have been a Democtatic bill back then, now it's a Republican thing. I'm not sure either party is what it was, and I don't think they have a clue either these days.

Ahhhhhh - plenty of Christmas spirit in this thread!!! :)

Anyway, seriously, I fully support any endevors by SC cachers to fight this tooth and nail. Again. Just be as prepared as they are this go around. Posters, presentations, flyers, pictures - high numbers of people. Whatever. You have my moral support and whatever else I can provide.

My favorite cache was in a Cemetary. It is over 200 years old and has many revolutionary war soldiers buried there. As a soldier myself I felt very honored to be there. Coincidentally I did this cache on Independence Day (didn't plan for that day, just happened). I learned a lot about the history of the area and spent an extra hour just reading the headstones and sitting in the peace and quiet.

As I said this cemetery is more than 200 years old. Many people who live within a couple of miles of it don't even know it's there, and the ones that do have never been in it and don't know the history buried there.

I'm not that concerned. Apart from Rep. Ceips' statements on the matter it seems fairly reasonable. I can sort of see where she's coming from, and while there may be a small percentage of us that fit those statements, I don't think it's a fair assessment of all of us as a whole.

The only other thing I have an issue with is the need for permission to LOOK for a cache on said sites. If permission is granted to place the cache I see no reason that permission shouldn't extend to it being sought after. The 2 would seem to go hand in hand.

What about Arlington National Cemetary, it is actually a tourist destination. If those people are not getting undisturbed rest in death then why should the government from SC be worried about their dead? It is not like geocachers are stopping and taking pictures of the tombs and trampling all over the graves, right?

Actually, federal regulations prohibit most recreational activities in National Cemeteries including Arlington.

See Section 12.11

§12.11 Recreational activities.

Engaging in a recreational activity is prohibited.

and

Recreational activity means any form of athletics, sport or other leisure pursuit or event, whether organized or spontaneous, that is engaged in by one or more persons for the primary purpose of exercise, relaxation or enjoyment, including but not limited to the following: jogging, racing, skating, skateboarding, ball playing, kite flying, model airplane flying, throwing objects through the air, sunbathing, bicycling and picknicking. This term does not include walking, hiking or casual strolling.

There are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. See National Cemetery Regulations for more details

Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. As Julia Roberts said, if you look up "Republican" in the dictionary, it comes up between "reptile" and "repugnant."

Sheesh....of course it's a democrat that starts the mud slinging. I guess you can't expect too much from someone that quotes the likes of Julia Roberts.

USe yer brain to make an argument....no need to go for name calling and mud slinging.

Edited by T-Bone and Maddawg
apart from Rep. Ceips' statements on the matter it seems fairly reasonable. I can sort of see where she's coming from, and while there may be a small percentage of us that fit those statements, I don't think it's a fair assessment of all of us as a whole.

For the sake of argument say that we are going into cemeteries gain points in a game (I disagree with this as my above post says). Even if the practice is distasteful to some, does it relally warrant legislation? There are laws against vandalism and trespassing. if geocachers are breaking those laws, then arrest them. To criminalize the act of using a GPS to find a tupperware container is beyond silly. The law was originally proposed because some thought geocachers were vandalizing cemeteries. When that was found to be untrue, now its the fact that we're "playing games" in cemeteries.

Boy, what a [expletive deleted by geognerd]. Doesn't surprise me that she's a Republican. As Julia Roberts said, if you look up "Republican" in the dictionary, it comes up between "reptile" and "repugnant." How much privacy do dead people need? Birds crap on their grave markers all the time. Who are these numbnuts that keep feeding all the misinformation to these politicians? Politicians are always so quick to defend dead people, children, and women just so they sound like the great protectors of society. Politicians are frigging morons. They open their mouths and talk about stuff they know nothing about.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Politicians are the ones deciding our fate. The recent woes in North Carolina are the perfect example. What's needed here is a rational discussion, not a rant. Childish ravings do not make for convincing arguments. If you want to win someone over to your point of view, calling them "frigging morons" is probably not the most productive method. Proving your particular level of petulance by stating "Good. I hope my comments are seen." when someone with common sense indicates you might have gone overboard, doesn't help our cause, either. When, (if), Geocaching is banned everywhere, we'll have folks like you to thank.

Of course, how much can you expect from someone that quotes that font of wisdom, Julia Roberts? :)

babf15.jpg

When this legislation is put to rest I'll be the first one to dance on its grave.

Tappity tip tap.

Well done SC geocachers for stomping this flat for this year. Hopefully that Ceips person will be on to forcing another country girl band to apologize.

Ceips - Come over to Waymarking.com - there's a new target in town and we're serving sugar cookies.

Edited by Jeremy

SCIENTISTS DISCOVER NEW ELEMENT

A major research institution has just announced the discovery of the heaviest element yet known to science. The new element has been named "Governmentium".

Governmentium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 311.

These 311 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons.

Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert.

However, it can be detected, as it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact. A minute amount of Governmentium causes one reaction to take over 4 days to complete, when it would normally take less than a second.

Governmentium has a normal half-life of 4 years; it does not decay, but, instead undergoes a reorganization in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places.

In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes.

This characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass".

When catalyzed with money Governmentium becomes Administratium, an element which radiates just as much energy, since it has 1/2 as many peons but twice as many morons.

The only good thing I have to say about J.R., is that she can shoot a bow very well.

(She did make the olympic archery team)

I think that was Geena Davis.....so ...... I guess that means JR has no redeeming value.

That was Geena Davis, and she finished 24th out of 28 qualifiers for the Olympics. Julia Roberts has the redeeming quality of having a mouth so large she could swallow one of her own feet. That and she does voiceovers for AOL commercials...

Rich;)

I've been passively following the SC geocaching thing in the forums for awhile now. For all the cachers down there fighting for our rights to walk, look and write in public places, I offer a non-denominational "God Bless". Thank you.

To make an analogy: When one's job is pounding nails all day, one starts to believe that all problems can be solved with a hammer. Well, maybe that's not as dead-on as I'd like it to be. In this case, there is no REAL problem, yet they're swinging the hammer at it anyway. One person's dis-enjoyment of someone else's lawful hobby is hardly a call for legislation. briansnat had it exactly right:

There are laws against vandalism and trespassing. if geocachers are breaking those laws, then arrest them. To criminalize the act of using a GPS to find a tupperware container is beyond silly.

And then... (emphasis added)

The law was originally proposed because some thought geocachers were vandalizing cemeteries. When that was found to be untrue, now its the fact that we're "playing games" in cemeteries.

It's a classic example of someone refusing to admit that they didn't know what they were talking about before they opened their mouth. Now they feel irrevocably committed to persue it to it's bitter end, and to heck with whoever they have to hurt in then process. Any individual with integrity would have ended this ridiculousness upon learning that we're not destructive or disrespectful and in fact encourage awareness of our country's little known areas.

To close, and paraphrase, "When I have a problem is when people invent legislation just to earn public opinion points and an atta-boy."

The only good thing I have to say about J.R., is that she can shoot a bow very well.

I think that was Geena Davis.....so ...... I guess that means JR has no redeeming value.

Geena Davis (nor JR) never made the olympic team. Geena Davis had money to burn, so she had Butch Johnson (an archer who has been to the olympics a few times) coach her for about a year.

She wasn't close to good enough for the olympics. She did get invited to a few Australian and asia archery tournaments before the olympics to raise publicity. (Since Archery was about to be dropped as an olympic sport).

QUOTE (T-Bone and Maddawg @ Dec 15 2005, 03:06 PM)

Geena Davis (nor JR) never made the olympic team. Geena Davis had money to burn, so she had Butch Johnson (an archer who has been to the olympics a few times) coach her for about a year.

She wasn't close to good enough for the olympics. She did get invited to a few Australian and asia archery tournaments before the olympics to raise publicity. (Since Archery was about to be dropped as an olympic sport).

Holy carp!

What a brain cramp on my part. :)

tnx for pointin' it out..... I'll not let that happen again.

What's with the political and religious attacks in this thread?

I'm a Republican, a moderate, and an atheist. I don't seem to fit your sterotypes.

I also love caching and one of the caches I especially liked was in Yellowstone. There is a cemetary there that is from the time when the cavalry were the caretakers of the park. It really made you think about the hard life they had there when you saw how many of the graves were children - some of them not even named due to death at or shortly after birth. It gave some insight into what it took to have this area preserved for us to see and marvel at today. (And yes, I did log the cache.)

Please don't apply a set of attributes to a person simply because some of their views differ from yours. I have friends who are Democrats, Libertarians, etc. We can have rational discussions and often find that we are surprised by what is said. Some of my more liberal friends find that my views on certain subjects actually seem more liberal than theirs and vice versa. We (my friends and I) all find that the most egregioius errors of judgement and behavior seem to occur with those who are most fanatical about their views - whether liberal or conservative. While I have my own opinions (which sometimes change based on further thought and information) I would hate it if everybody thought exactly as I do. How would I ever be able to learn and grow without other points of view to ponder?

Here's a little quiz the media may like to publish:

"What activity can be legally engaged in without restriction

• at Tiananmen Square
  • within The Forbidden City
  • along the Great Wall
  • among the Ming Tombs

all in Communist China, but will require written permission at similar locations in South Carolina if a certain pending House bill becomes law?"

Sometimes, people just need a different frame of reference in order to see things more clearly. :)

(Ref: GCA209, GCBFF1, GCKB03, GCC04B)

"When I have a problem is when people visit someone's grave just to earn a point and a smiley face," said Rep. Catherine Ceips. "You still have to respect people's privacy."

B)

Heck! I figured out her problem. She has no smiley face at all! Heres a few she can have :lol::lol:B):):D:)B)B):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(Most Republicans need an overabundance of these becasue they have never had any)

In reference to several political jabs being mixed in with what otherwise seems to be a civil thread, I'd like to remind everyone of the Forum Guidelines:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Take the partisan discussion to the off-topic forum (or even another, more appropriate forum) and let's leave this forum for the discussion of geocaching.

Thank you.

:)

Edited by Quiggle