Trip Coming Up, Want To Cache A Route-gsak

hikergps

I am going on a 3 state rampage this weekend, Eastern WA to Eastern MT and back along I90. I have GSAK 6.5.0 (registered) and want to set up an ARC/POLY search of the pq's I ran that will get me all of the caches within a mile of I90 along my route. I don't have any mapping programs, use a Geko 101 for caching, and use Cachemate (also registered) and a Palm IIIxe for paperless caching. I planned on loading the caches into my palm and keeping track of them that way.

What I need to know is does anyone know of a freeware mapping program that I could use to trace a route and download coords into GSAK? It's not that I am too cheap to get buy a program, I just live 60 miles from nowhere and won't have time to pick one up before the trip. Any direction that I could be pointed in will be appreciated. If I am out of luck, that is understandable. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone knew of something out there.

For shorter trips, I've used the free version of Google Earth to find turn coordinates, and manually typed the coords of reasonably simple routes into the GSAK arc/poly filter box. If you can simplify your route to just the main sections, then perhaps expand the filter to a couple miles to either side of the route, you can get a reasonably accurate and usable list.

Alternately, you download the GC networked KML file, open it in Google Earth, then just pan along your route and bookmark each cache that looks interesting, using the built-into-the-KML popup "Bookmark This" link. Then you can generate a PQ from your bookmark list.

There's lots of other ways to go, and I'm sure someone will post a better method than these two, but without being able to automate the route generation it can be difficult.

Blargy blargy.

The part that really burns me up is that I've read that before. However, I was trying to do exactly that a few weeks ago (export the route from GE and then use it in GSAK) and completely forgot the part where GPSBabel converts the KML file. I spent 40 minutes writing regular expressions to extract just the coordinates in the correct format, and eventually decided that those instructions must work only with the Pro version of GE.

This whole "memory" thing just gets more and more difficult. Hey, where am I?

I've noted on my webpage that the latest beta of GPSBabel is needed.

Alan

I run windows 98 so I can't use GE. I tried running the option for Google maps (option 3) but all I got back was scrambled characters. That was before running it through Babel. Does Babel convert this mumbo jumbo to coordinates, or did I do something wrong?

First, you need to be on the latest GPSBabel (1.2.8 beta) since there some fixes in it. However, it looks like Google Maps has changed the output again because I get zero points in the ARC filter file. I'll ring Robert's door on this but I'm getting a little tired of chasing a moving target and may just pull the webpage.

Alan

I run windows 98 so I can't use GE. I tried running the option for Google maps (option 3) but all I got back was scrambled characters. That was before running it through Babel. Does Babel convert this mumbo jumbo to coordinates, or did I do something wrong?

The "mumbo jumbo" is more than likely correct. I get un-readable "stuff" also. I've added additional information on the page. Here it is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternate procedure to (w)get googleroute.txt:

If you get a empty googleroute.arc file then it is possible that your version of wget is not working properly and is acting like the &output=js is not being passed onto Google Maps. Try this:

After you've clicked the link to show the URL, add &output=js to the end of the URL then press enter. You should now have a webpage with a couple of boxes on it. View the source of the webpage then save the output as googleroute.txt. Continue on to create the ARC filter file.

So give it a try and let me know.

Alan

The "mumbo jumbo" is more than likely correct. I get un-readable "stuff" also. I've added additional information on the page. Here it is:

Alternate procedure to (w)get googleroute.txt:

If you get a empty googleroute.arc file then it is possible that your version of wget is not working properly and is acting like the &output=js is not being passed onto Google Maps. Try this:

After you've clicked the link to show the URL, add &output=js to the end of the URL then press enter. You should now have a webpage with a couple of boxes on it. View the source of the webpage then save the output as googleroute.txt. Continue on to create the ARC filter file.

So give it a try and let me know.

Alan

Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get home from work tonight and let you know. If it doesn't work I'll take up PDOP's advice.

Maybe I'm just not as high tech as some of you are.

When I travel, it's usually on the Interstate system. I'm in Atlanta. I locate the Interstate on the Geocach maps. Then I zoom the map out a little to cover more area on the map. After that, I just "Pan" along the Interstate and visually locate the caches that way. When I find something that looks good to me I just download the way point. You can use the mapquest page that is on the cache page as well to determin if the cache is near an exit ramp. Pretty simple actually. Last year I drove from Atlanta to Baltimore and found eight caches along the way.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff

Edited by gpsjeep

First, I tried doing what gpsjeep did but there are a few high concentration areas of caches and the route is over 600 miles each way, lots of panning and picking. I never could get the Google map method that alancurry created to work for me, but I think that it was me not the program. I haven't given up on it and will play with it when I have more time. An un-named but very appreciated cacher emailed me a Christmas present - the coords that I was looking for, very cool! Narrowed my GSAK search of my pq's from 1600+ caches to under 100. Thanks Santa! :unsure:

Maybe I'm just not as high tech as some of you are.

When I travel, it's usually on the Interstate system.  I'm in Atlanta.  I locate the Interstate on the Geocach maps.  Then I zoom the map out a little to cover more area on the map.  After that, I just "Pan" along the Interstate and visually locate the caches that way.  When I find something that looks good to me I just download the way point.  You can use the mapquest page that is on the cache page as well to determin if the cache is near an exit ramp.  Pretty simple actually.  Last year I drove from Atlanta to Baltimore and found eight caches along the way.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff

Congrats!! You have just converted what at first glance seems Rocket Science, to the level of bicycle repair where it naturally belongs. Common sense and plain and simple logic wins another one!! There are certainly more complex techniques available, but why bother, eh? Cache on Dude!! ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati
I know you said you don't have any mapping software, but it might be time to make the $40-50 investment. In Street Atlas USA you just type in the starting address and the ending address to create your route, then save the route file and open that with GSAK. Done.

I plan on it shortly. I just didn't have time to go get it before I left for my trip. I live about 60 miles from anyplace. The trip went well. Due to the weather where I was and the trip being a business trip I wasn't able to stop much. I still got in a couple along the way. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! hiker