How Much Did Your Coins Cost To Mint?

Damenace

Alright I realize this might not be the most ethical question to ask, so if you don't want to share your price then don't. The intent of this thread is to show what a coin really cost minus the inflation that is tacked on when someone is looking to fund there personal coin.

This is the exact quote from my e-mail that was sent to me from Tess @ Coins and Pins.

The quote for your coins is as follows:

SPECS: 1.75" diameter, polished nickel finish, 5 soft enamel colors

$268.00 for 100 coins

$ 160.00 for 2 each 2-D dies

$ 45.00 for laser etching 1-6 characters

$ 35.00 for epoxy coating both sides.

$ 34.00 for shipping

---------

$ 542.00 total for 100 coins ($5.42 per coin)

It is my believe that showing the actual cost a coin costs to mint just might drive the cost back down instead of through the roof.

Now I realize there is going to be alot of variables and I know there is going to be a lot of companies to use, that list of companies is pinned on the top of this thread so please lets not debate who to use. Lets drive the cost down not up

This thread is going to show why a coin should not be minted and sold solely on Ebay for profit. No one should have to spend $50.00 for a ND Snowflake, someone is making bank.

2006 AtlantaGal - I split my orders in half so I don't come out of pocket all at once. I reused the backside die from my first coin edition.

150 1.5" coins: 100 nickle, 35 antique copper & 15 gold*. Unlimited color both sides and 2-side epoxy $3.35 per coin

Single side die fee $99

USPS Priority-insured shipping $75

Total --- > $676.50 ($4.51 per coin)

100 1.5" nickle coins. Unlimited color both sides and 2-side epoxy $3.35 per coin

50 1.5" antique silver coins. Unlimited color both sides and 2 side epoxy FREE**

USPS Priority-insured shipping $75

Total --- > $410.00 ($2.73 per coin)

Cost Per 2006 Coin ---- > $3.63 (300 total coins)

* Charges me lowest metal price for all coins

** Offer for messing up 1st 1/2 of order when coins were delivered w/o epoxy & had to be sent back for finishing.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I will not say exactly what the coins I had made cost, but by having 500 made of the Buffalo Wings coins did bring the cost down.

In order to be sure that I would be able to trade the coin I had to price the ones I sold at a price that would encourage trading. I figured $7 was that price.

So yes I make a profit off the ones I sell. But all of the profit get turned around into buying the coins that I can not trade for.

My big problem is not with cachers making a litle money off those not willing to trade but though cachers that are not willing to trade and are looking only at make a profit. There are many coins I was forced to buy because i could not get a commitment on the trade.

Additionally I am planing to put a couple of my own coins on ebay myself. I might as well make the profit for my efforts before someone else turns around and sell my coin.

Not all will agree with me and thats thier right.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

what kind of price do you add for creating the artwork, going back and forth with revisions, packing up 100 individual packages, (or more) standing in the Post Office line for 1.5 hours, (ticking off the person behind the counter and the other customers) filling out overseas custom's forms and delivery confirmation forms, not to mention forking out the original cash to have the coin made in the first place? (I did not do pre-sales) and now, possibly dealing with lost/damaged mail and coin replacement?

so when someone tells you they are making a buck or two per coin profit, are they really?

I gained a lot of respect for the people making/selling coins.

Hirlas

Team Airik

*This is not a gripe

The cost to make the product is only one factor in the equation of its value.

SUPPLY and DEMAND are probably the biggest factors in the pricing of coins. That's why you see the spike in eBay prices.

Let's say I made 400,000 of my Lowracer coins. I would have to give them away in geocaches and on street corners because the demand would easily be satisfied by the overwhelming supply. They'd be worthless and I'd lose tons of money.

Let's say I made 250. They'd sell for $4 each, my cost to make (roughly), but not everyone who wants one can get one since there weren't enough made to put one in every collector's hand that wanted one. Expect to see these on eBay for more than $4 within a few months.

Let's say I made an additional 50 in a different metal. Same cost to make, around four bucks, but since there's only 50 of them but more collectors than there are coins, the price on these will go way up.

It has very little to do with the actual cost to make the product, and more to do with how many were made, how strong the demand will be, and how many people will demand.

Good topic! Hopefully it will help future coin makers in their planning.

Here's a breakdown of the costs we encountered to make the New York State Coins (1000 coins through KV Coins):

$2,250 - 1.5 inch Pewter w/ color one side ($2.25 each)

$ 250 - Epoxy one side ($0.25 each)

$ 400 - Numbering ($0.40 each)

$ 150 - Artwork and Sample coin

$1.500 - Tracking numbers

$ 150 - Custom icon

$4,700 - Total cost

We factored in the cost of Paypal transaction fees ($0.35/transaction + 3%) then rounded up to the next dollar and sold the coins for $6 each.

For shipping, we charged the following rates:

1 - 4 coins - $2.00

5 - 8 coins - $4.00

9 - 12 coins - $6.00

13 - 16 coins - $8.00

17+ coins - $10

We did not charge an additional fee for international shipping.

Total for fees collected for shipping and handling: $488

Our total shipping costs:

$115 - Shipping supplies (envelopes, labels, bubble wrap, etc)

$335 - Postage

$450 - Total Shipping Fees.

I got pounded with a $400 surcharge at the end of the process, after having sold half of the coins here...so my original strategy of overcharging just enough to keep the costs on the other half of the coins to be released in local caches down to what I could afford went out the window :wacko:

I went ahead with the order as I had already taken peoples' money, but the coins I'm getting to drop into caches in my area are costing me more than I had planned.

Not a pity-bait story, just a warning from the stupid...get all prices locked in and completely finalized before getting too far into the process.

jamie

ps - for those who are interested, the surcharge was attributed to unexpected artwork fees at the factory end associated with the detailed 3D work on both sides of my coin...I think that I believe the coin producer, but I'm still bummed out

I got pounded with a $400 surcharge at the end of the process, after having sold half of the coins here...so my original strategy of overcharging just enough to keep the costs on the other half of the coins to be released in local caches down to what I could afford went out the window :wacko:

I went ahead with the order as I had already taken peoples' money, but the coins I'm getting to drop into caches in my area are costing me more than I had planned.

Not a pity-bait story, just a warning from the stupid...get all prices locked in and completely finalized before getting too far into the process.

jamie

ps - for those who are interested, the surcharge was attributed to unexpected artwork fees at the factory end associated with the detailed 3D work on both sides of my coin...I think that I believe the coin producer, but I'm still bummed out

What ever happened to sticking to the quoted price? I think I would have taken them to task over this. If they quoted the wrong amount, and it ended up costing them more than that to make, then THEY should be the ones to have to pay the additional fees, not you. Either that, or I would have cancelled the order and found a new mint.

If you don't mind, could we know which company did this? I want to know which company to avoid. This is a serious request, but I understand that you might not want to say (especially if you are planning on going through them again).

--Marky

We took advantage of the Christmas Special that www.oakcoins.com is having. I think that helped keep our cost down. We did get kind carried away with the colors on the 2D side (10 colors). We also went with the imitation hard enamel because it produces a neat smooth 2D design without needing epoxy (like the peace sign side of the donbadabon kS-WADER coin). We thought it looks better than epoxy.

Coin Pricing               Soft Enamel  Immitation Hard Enamel
2D + 3D Die                215.00 $     215.00 $
500, 42mm, 3mm Coins       710.00 $     775.00 $
6 Additional Colors S      150.00 $     150.00 $
Laser Engraved Numbers     100.00 $     100.00 $
Standard Finish            Free         Free
Standard Packaging         Free         Free
S&H to your location       175.00 $     175.00 $
Total                    1,350.00 $   1,415.00 $

So we paid $1415 for 500, or $2.83 per coin.

--Marky

...ps - for those who are interested, the surcharge was attributed to unexpected artwork fees at the factory end associated with the detailed 3D work on both sides of my coin...I think that I believe the coin producer, but I'm still bummed out

Middlemen are making a living at us paying them to work with overseas (and sometimes local) factories. They justify their charges by making sure these kinds of things don't happen. When they do they should suck it up since they are holding themselves out as the experts.

Based on this thread I think there are a lot more commercial coins out there than I first thought.

I've got 4 coins I'm working on and I'm willing to post them all when I'm far enough along to have numbers. Even the Terracachers.org coin where I've said up front that some of the $ will benefit Terracachrs.org.

I'll make a 5th if people want to pony up a nice fat profit on it for me. It will be a cool coin but of course I'll refuse to tell you how much it cost me to make. :wacko:

...ps - for those who are interested, the surcharge was attributed to unexpected artwork fees at the factory end associated with the detailed 3D work on both sides of my coin...I think that I believe the coin producer, but I'm still bummed out

Middlemen are making a living at us paying them to work with overseas (and sometimes local) factories. They justify their charges by making sure these kinds of things don't happen. When they do they should suck it up since they are holding themselves out as the experts.

Based on this thread I think there are a lot more commercial coins out there than I first thought.

I've got 4 coins I'm working on and I'm willing to post them all when I'm far enough along to have numbers. Even the Terracachers.org coin where I've said up front that some of the $ will benefit Terracachers.org.

I'll make a 5th if people want to pony up a nice fat profit on it for me. It will be a cool coin but of course I'll refuse to tell you how much it cost me to make. :wacko:

Broken record (but a good tune!)

Go to Coins and Pins, get a quote, be very happy. This has worked on both my coins.

Geobones were over $7 each (many colours, 200 coins, etc)

Red-Handed coins were $2.53 (600 coins, one colour) -- of course, I added $1.50 each for tracking too)

I think 100 coins of high-quality at $4.50-$6 each is quite a good ballpark, 200 would be better -- it seems 500 was the biggest price drop. (of course, you then have 500 coins!)

Broken record (but a good tune!)

Go to Coins and Pins, get a quote, be very happy. This has worked on both my coins.

Geobones were over $7 each (many colours, 200 coins, etc)

Red-Handed coins were $2.53 (600 coins, one colour) -- of course, I added $1.50 each for tracking too)

I think 100 coins of high-quality at $4.50-$6 each is quite a good ballpark, 200 would be better -- it seems 500 was the biggest price drop. (of course, you then have 500 coins!)

I too got mine done at coins and pins and they had every cost up front for me. I definitely won't complain about the service I got. It was great and all the help I needed.

I can't find the totals but I think I ended up paying about $550 for 150 coins. It was all out of pocket as I use mine for caches and trades only but it matched the quote I got before I started the process.

I'll pose the same question here that I posted in the forum that started this one.

How much do YOU (meaning each of you) think is a reasonable amount of profit? We all know that everyone that sells coins is making a profit. How much did you make? How much do you think they should make?

Should a seller expect to make a 1% profit or a 10% profit? More??? Less? Should they be expected to sell at cost (and then watch them show up on ebay)?

And I am very interested in the answers of all of you, especially those that have sold coins. This is of couse only if you are willing to divulge that information.

TIA

Brian Allen aka Haughton

TeamAirik

...How much do YOU (meaning each of you) think is a reasonable amount of profit? We all know that everyone that sells coins is making a profit. How much did you make? How much do you think they should make?...

For a signature coin. ZERO. No profit. Nada. Zip. If I sell you guys coins to help me afford my signature coin you are already doing me a favor.

For the goofy coins made my cachers like SCREW, zero, nada, zip. No profit. If it's being made for fun, keep the fun in it. If you want to make a profit, then start a company and sell it for too much money honestly.

The org coins should make some money to help pay for the organizations expenses. A buck or two a coin will net them a fair chunk of change and still keep the coin affordable for geoaching.

The commercial coins shouldn't hide behind an excuse like "I'm just recouping my cost on eBay, or "why should someone else make money on eBay" They should just be what they are. Geocoinclub seems to be doing well charging a pretty penny for a coin and their coins are sought by collectors. They don't claim to be anything other than what they are. For profit.

The RK1K coin is in the first part of the planning stages to see if it can even be done. There will be ZERO profit. If by any chance there is some leftover funds I'll sink it into Idaho Geoachers or Terracachers.org.

For the Terracachers.org coin that's in the works (not to be confused with the Terracaching.com coin) the profit to be used for Terracaching.org will be stated up front at some set amount per coin. The goal is to incorporate as a non profit with proceedes from the coin.

For a cache coin in the works. Zero profit.

...Should they be expected to sell at cost (and then watch them show up on ebay)?...

Yes. It's only by selling coins inexpensivly that you can expect them to show up in caches. If a coin is a straight to eBay production they are less likely to show up in a cache and make some cachers day.

eBay is the aftermarket. So is trading. If you can't trade you have no choice but to buy. Some people trade many coins for one because of relative value. That's not much different than buying a goin for 30 bucks on eBay. Either way you are out 30 bucsk. It's 30 in coins or 30 in cash.

Well I doubt the eBay craziness will end just because we post the true price. Lets face it you can see coins still for sale at reasonable prices sell for $30 on eBay... that is what eBay does to people... Its like a disease.

Anyway original blazerfan coins from KVcoins

$375 - 100 pewter coins (unlimited color, though I think they charge differently now)

$150 - die fees

$40 - numbering

$40 - ridged edges

total - $605

They have their prices on the website and they stuck to them... no surprizes at all... just a long wait.

I don't see anything wrong with making money selling a geocoin. Particularly when that money is realy just rolled back in to trading coins, as is the case with all but a handfull of people on this forum. I don't see anything wrong with turning coins into a commercial enterprise, as several cachers have. After all, if you don't like them, don't buy them. Supply and demand. Most of these coins tend to be cute and almost all are trackable. They are widely distributed and fairly easy to get if you try, and at a reasonable price.

What mystifies me, is why anyone would pay upwards of 50 bucks for a coin that isn't trackable, has never been traded to a cacher, has never seen the inside of a cache and really has nothing whatsoever to do with geocaching other than that the producer is skinning geocachers on EBay? Why do we give our permission to be screwed over like that? It's just cute hunk of metal with GEO on it. It might as well be a Hummel with a GPS in it's hand. What makes it a geocoin?

This is what I posted when I thought I was doing 250 trackable Gypsy coins

My understanding and my practice was that personal coins can only be sold for cost. The price of $5 reflects my costs.

For a run of 250 of my particular coin (5 colors, gold, soft enamel, etc) was

$440.00 for 250 coins

$ 70.00 for 1 2-D die

$112.50 for laser etching 1-6 characters

$ 80.00 for shipping

--------

$702.50 total for 250 coins ($2.81 per coin)

$375.00 for trackable numbers

-------

$1077.50 total for 250 trackable coins ($4.31 per coin)

plus .20 for labeling with the number and activation code

and the paypal transaction fee (1.9% to 2.9% plus .30) about .52 on a single coin purchase and less on larger purchases because the .30 add-on is what really hurts.

That gave me $5.03 per coin in costs for single coin sales.

hen I'm figuring .30 per padded envelope (size 000 bought off ebay) or about .50 bought at office depot locally. The coin itself weights 1oz so with packaging it will be a little heavier. There have been discussions about whether to use usps tracking. I'm not sure if I am, I'll base it on whether it is covered by the $2.50 I asked for just because that was what I had seen other people ask and figured it must cover the costs. People have mentioned $1.30 for shipping and .50 for tracking for single coin shipments. I haven't gotten that far myself. I have given coin clubs buying 15-20 a break on shipping, just looking up what it will cost via USPS and UPS and taking the cheaper of the two.

So, I will be paying for them out-of-pocket at $4.51 ea (since I don't have paypal fees).

Since I ended up ordering 300 this became

$528.00 for 300 coins

$ 70.00 for 1 2-D die

$135.00 for laser etching 1-6 characters

$ 96.00 for shipping

--------

$829.00 total for 300 coins (2.76 per coin)

$450.00 for trackable numbers

--------

$1,339.00 for 300 trackable coins ($4.26 per coin)

And there is still the labelling ($60.00), Paypal fees and shipping. So my out of pocket for each coin that is put in a cache is $4.46.

My ship date is Friday (fingers crosssed). I haven't yet done the printing invoices and labels, stuffing envelopes, going to the post office... but obviously I didn't charge anything for my time. This is just the cost of the hobby as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, so many questions in this thread to answer.

Did we make some money on the Canine Cachers coins? Yes.

A large amount? Nope.

Anybody that has done a coin (or most buyers at this point) probably realize that we made some money so I'm sure this is not earth-shattering news.

Do I think we did it at a reasonable cost? Yes.

Would I be comfortable charging some the rates that I've seen on here? No way.

Edited by kealia

I am using coinable.com

my coin:

340 coins in all

1.56 inch

No color

Standard edging

Numbering @ .40 per coin added to the per coin price below

Die fee: $150.00

200 - antique silver: $2.72, total $544.00

100 - antique gold: $2.72, total $272.00

25 - black nickel: $3.22, total $80.50

15 - rhodium: $4.22, total $63.30

Total: $1109.80

$268 was added to cover shipping/paypal fees/shipping supplies

(these were roughly estimated by me and any change that is left over will most likely go to the local womens shelter.)

I charged $7.00 each for the silvers to cover the cost of the rhodium which will only be traded/given to special cachers, black nickels that are for special trades for me and the golds which will be traded and placed in caches. I guess in some people eyes I made a profit but I think what I did was okay. I see many people selling their coins for $8.50 and they probably aren't placing/giving away any of their coins. Just think of it as your good deed...you helped me out and you helped those who find them in caches or get them as gifts. :blink: Feel good about yourself! You deserve it.

by the way anyone wanting #000 envelopes should check out ebay!

For a signature coin. ZERO.  No profit. Nada. Zip.  If I sell you guys coins to help me afford my signature coin you are already doing me a favor.

For the goofy coins made my cachers like SCREW, zero, nada, zip.  No profit. If it's being made for fun, keep the fun in it. If you want to make a profit, then start a company and sell it for too much money honestly.

The org coins should make some money to help pay for the organizations expenses.  A buck or two a coin will net them a fair chunk of change and still keep the coin affordable for geoaching.

The commercial coins shouldn't hide behind an excuse like "I'm just recouping my cost on eBay, or "why should someone else make money on eBay"  They should just be what they are.  Geocoinclub seems to be doing well charging a pretty penny for a coin and their coins are sought by collectors. They don't claim to be anything other than what they are. For profit.

RK and I are 100% on the same page here. This is exactly what I feel.

--Marky

After some reflection, I would like to add and addendum to my post of yesterday, in the interest of fairness and accuracy...

The coin manufacturer offered me the opportunity to withdraw from our deal after informing me of the additional charges. In addition, after informing me of the price change I asked for and received accomodations on their part to meet me somewhat in the middle...they threw in some extra coins and shipping to help bring the price per coin down to a more palatable level.

I explained to the coin producer (whose feelings I hurt, for which I'm sorry) and will now clarify to you my thoughts on my original post...I felt shocked and hurt by the sudden price increase at the end of the process, but liked the producer and the design enough to go ahead with the coin.

My post was made, as I stated originally, not to garner pity, or to rain ire on the coin producer, who will be making my coin (and will do an excellent job, I am sure), but to warn other potential geocoin-making geocachers to make sure that they are fully aware of the final price of their coin, and that there can be surprises at any stage of the process.

The point of this thread was to discuss coin pricing, and I felt, and still feel, that my contribution was valid and would be useful to geocachers contemplating making their own coins. I apologize to anyone who felt hurt, misled, or offended by my post.

Jamie

Edited by NFA
I charged $7.00 each for the silvers to cover the cost of the rhodium which will only be traded/given to special cachers, black nickels that are for special trades for me and the golds which will be traded and placed in caches. I guess in some people eyes I made a profit but I think what I did was okay. I see many people selling their coins for $8.50 and they probably aren't placing/giving away any of their coins. Just think of it as your good deed...you helped me out and you helped those who find them in caches or get them as gifts. :) Feel good about yourself! You deserve it.

With the first TeamAirik coin made by another member of our group, we did much the same thing as far as trading/selling. He minted 100 coins. Sold approximately 60 of them. We still have about 20 in our posession for whatever we want..selling, trading, dropping in caches, etc.. The other approximate 20 were traded.

I would expect for this to be the norm. So your first 60% of the coins need to cover your costs unless you are willing to incur the cost yourself. Several of you feel that way and that is fine. However, I don't feel this way and I also feel, that although geocaching is a hobby and I enjoy it, my time to design the coin is worth a little something.

The latest quote I got on the coins will put them at probably around $8.00 shipped if we mint them. That will cover my 60% sale and 40% trade/cache/keep ratio. Would I make some profit? Yes, but at $480, it's not much. The first quote I got was very high (at $8.00 per coin and only selling 60, I would lose over $100) and I obviously won't be going with them. So with the cost to me down, this brings down the cost to the community.

Will trades happen? Certainly. As stated, if{/B] we mint these coins, approximately 20-25 will be traded, 60 or so will sell, the rest will be divied up between the members of TeamAirik to do as each member pleases (trade, sell, drop in a cache).

Yes, but at $480, it's not much. The first quote I got was very high (at $8.00 per coin and only selling 60, I would lose over $100) and I obviously won't be going with them.

You wouldn't lose anything. You would be contributing to the cost of YOUR personal coins. I find it funny that you think having a personal coin means it should cost you nothing. To date I have invested approximately 2K in my personal coins. That's not a complaint mind you, but rather a statement of fact. It's called the cost of having a coin as a signature item.

Yes, but at $480, it's not much.  The first quote I got was very high (at $8.00 per coin and only selling 60, I would lose over $100) and I obviously won't be going with them.

You wouldn't lose anything. You would be contributing to the cost of YOUR personal coins. I find it funny that you think having a personal coin means it should cost you nothing. To date I have invested approximately 2K in my personal coins. That's not a complaint mind you, but rather a statement of fact. It's called the cost of having a coin as a signature item.

i agree 100% with AtlantaGal. they are your personal signature item. I don't understand how you say you are losing money. that is like saying I am losing money if I buy a new saddle for riding or when I bought my GPS. This is a hobby and like all hobbies it has expenses. If you consider it a business then make it clear to everyone and don't say you are making signature items.

I used PersonalGeocoins.com for my coins. They are standard 1.5" bronze coins with 2D art and color on both sides. My initial shipment of 200 coins cost me $624.00 total including shipping. I had no extras added such as numbering, coating, or tracking which kept the price low. Since I purchased the coins to trade, I feel that I will see the value of my coins in the coins I trade for. Many people seem to forget that the coins themselves are the "profit" that they seek. I consider my money well invested every time I look at my growing collection.

i agree 100% with AtlantaGal.  they are your personal signature item.  I don't understand how you say you are losing money.  that is like saying I am losing money if I buy a new saddle for riding or when I bought my GPS.  This is a hobby and like all hobbies it has expenses.  If you consider it a business then make it clear to everyone and don't say you are making signature items.

How true. When I had mine made I fully expected to be out of pocket for the entire cost. I would feel guilty having others subsidize the cost of something that is uniquely mine. In return for pocketing the cost of the coin I have been able to trade for many coins that i would not have had the chance to get other than thru a sale on ebay. I feel it was totally worthwhile to absorb the cost of minting because of that.

Edited by graylling
How true. When I had mine made I fully expected to be out of pocket for the entire cost. I would feel guilty having others subsidize the cost of something that is uniquely mine. In return for pocketing the cost of the coin I have been able to trade for many coins that i would not have had the chance to get other than thru a sale on ebay. I feel it was totally worthwhile to absorb the cost of minting because of that.

Some of us ain't rich!

do i feel bad about people buying MY coin? Hell NO! I didn't even mean to start selling them and people were clicking on the paypal link already. It took about ohhh 8 seconds for my first payment to roll in. But do I feel bad about others subsidizing my hobby...no I'm american and was taught that economically it was cheaper to use other peoples money to fund my projects. I think it is awesome that some people can afford to foot the whole bill for their geocoin but please remember that some of us cannot afford to do the same at this point in time. Does that mean that we shouldn't be allowed to collect geocoins? I personally don't think so, so I did what I needed to in order to have a personal coin I asked others to subsidize it and you did, not all of you and I appreciate those of you that didn't opinions. Those that did subsidize it though can feel good knowing that they helped me out and helped those who find the coins I plan on leaving in caches or giving away out.

Stop bashing people and those whose situation you don't know

.....but please remember that some of us cannot afford to do the same at this point in time. Does that mean that we shouldn't be allowed to collect geocoins? I personally don't think so, so I did what I needed to in order to have a personal coin I asked others to subsidize it and you did.....

If I can't afford to buy a Lexus then guess what I don't. If you can't afford something then you don't do it. Geocoins included.... :lol: In fact it is your coin so any person making a coin should expect some $$$ out of pocket, just AtlantaGal said.

Do I think it ok to sell your coin to help defray cost -- YES

To help make you rich -- Sure if the people will pay the price for the product

But if anyone wants to subsidize my new Lexus you can send your payment through PayPal..... :):lol:

I've got 4 coins I'm working on and I'm willing to post them all when I'm far enough along to have numbers. Even the Terracachers.org coin where I've said up front that some of the $ will benefit Terracachrs.org.

I'll make a 5th if people want to pony up a nice fat profit on it for me. It will be a cool coin but of course I'll refuse to tell you how much it cost me to make. :)

I should get a cut of the 5th coin since it involves a pony. It only seems fair.

:lol:

It seems to me that the biggest complaint about a personal coin being financed by the community is when the per-coin cost of the coins being kept for trade by the originator is well below what everyone else paid per coin.

That actually doesn't bother me as much as someone who thinks the coins they keep for traders should be free for themselves. Again, I am only speaking of personal "signature item" geocoins here. The returned investment is the resulting collection you traded them for.

And for the record, I'm not rich either. In fact, I'm far from it. I saved up to purchase my original personal coins and I'm still waiting to pay the CC bill for the most recent ones.

if you can save up $2k for coins then you are FAR richer than I am. :unsure:

i'm merely a college student...and I thought geocaching was going to be a cheap hobby LMAO

I probably should have specified that I saved up for the version 1 coins. I won some money in a contest that paid for half the current 2006 coins.

Anyway, caching is anything but a cheap hobby... gas and gagetry alone are costly :lol: