Confused: Are Locationless Grandfathered In?

At this link it says that locationless caches are grandfathered in and wont be moving or be archived. It also says that they will be archived in January.

Guidelines that apply to grandfathered cache types

Virtual, Reverse Virtual (Locationless) Caches and Earthcaches

These are special categories of caches that ask the seeker to find a pre-existing item to log. We are no longer accepting new Virtual Caches, Webcam Caches, Reverse Virtual Caches, or Earth Caches. Caches which existed before August of 2005 have been allowed to remain as grandfathered caches.

Yet we have been told they will be archived on Jan 1st 2006.

(Note: All Locationless caches will migrate to the Waymarking.com site as of January 2006. They will no longer be available on Geocaching.com)

All of this is from the same link. Please clarify, will locationless caches still be available or not on gc.com? I would prefer to get this clarified from one of tptb, given that there is a contradictory statement on the cache listing requirements page. Thanks.

Tthey wil be going Bye Bye, all existing locationless will be archived and unloggable, the grandfathering part is that existing logs & finds will be grandfathered and not deleted. So they will be viewable, to the previous finders. I think that is where the confusion occurred. I am sure that page about caches and grandfasthering will also be changed as locationless will no longer be on that site. ( That link was on the general caching page and not were the info for Waymarking is located) When rules have changed in the past, then on the day of the change the rules will also change on that site. Most have already migrated the others will just be archived.

Edited by chstress53

I have been wondering about this too, but the info you linked to seems to clear it up for me.

Remain on geocaching.com active, no new ones:

Virtual Caches

WebCam Caches

Earthcaches

Archived, no new ones, but will remain visible for stats:

Reverse Virtual (Locationless) Caches

......and they better leave their fingers off my web-cams. You could never transmit this kind of information on a 'Waymarking' Webcam page, as hardly anyone looks at them now :unsure:

This one has over 1400 hits under Geocaching... My Webpage for Kailua Bay Web-Cam...and only 27 in 10 weeks on Waymarking.

...and this one over 800 hits under Geocaching...My Webpage for Ali'i Drive....and 27 times also since Oct 6th.

On 'Waymarking they would be "LOST" :lol:

Acid Rain  Posted on Dec 14 2005, 07:03 AM

I have been wondering about this too, but the info you linked to seems to clear it up for me.

Remain on geocaching.com active, no new ones:

Virtual Caches

WebCam Caches

Earthcaches

Archived, no new ones, but will remain visible for stats:

Reverse Virtual (Locationless) Caches

While I do enjoy all of these types, if there aren't going to be any new ones on Geocaching, but will be on Waymarking, I would rather see all of them amalgamated onto one site.

I know that short term it seems like the existing base of non-physical 'semi' caches are more popular but that doesn't mean that they will remain that way.

If you like watching movies, are you going to keep going to the video store that stopped buying movies in 1990? Of course not! Maybe you'd watch some of the titles that didn't interest you to maintain your loyalty to the store, but in time you would migrate to the video store with the big selection of new movies.

Back in 2000, how many Geocaches were there? More importantly, how many visits did they get in the first year? Our oldest cache GC2B4 had 12 finds in 2001. Now it has 115. Of the 12... some people came a LONG way just to find a cache, any cache.

I suspect Waymarking will grow faster, but will emulate the success of Geocaching

:lol: The Blue Quasar