My Rules For Geocoins

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

See all the freting over selling, not selling, traveling coins, collectable coins, coin costs, tracking or not tracking etc. . . I sat down to write out MY RULES for geocoins.

I don't know exactly what it proves except that I have to much time on my hands.

GeoCoin Rules to Live by (for me)

1. The sport is geocaching, not geocoins.

2. There are lots of really cool geocoins.

3. I can’t collect them all.

4. I don’t even want to collect them all.

5. I collect the ones I like (and can get)

Coins I Make:

6. The sport is geocaching not geocoins

7. When I make coins I am obligated to put some in the wild as travelers.

8. When I make coins I am obligated to put some un-activated coins out for other cachers to find.

9. I have no control over what people do with the coins I make.

10. I assume that coins I make are going to be sold on eBay.

11. Rather than let others take all the profits off eBay I am going to sell some.

12. I will trade coins I make with others

13. I am flattered when a coin I made is good enough to be sold on eBay.

14. I can choose not to sell my coins to someone who I have had difficulty with.

Coins I trade away:

15. The sport is geocaching not geocoins.

16. I have no control over what people do with coins I trade to them.

17. I will always trust someone I am trading with, unless they prove to be untrustworthy. (This means I send trades as soon as I make them)

18. I hope when that when I trade a coin away it will not be to be sold.

19. I am very cautious about trading away “valuable” coins such as Limited Editions.

20. I will not get upset about coins I trade away that are sold on Ebay.

Coins I purchase:

21. The sport is geocaching not geocoins.

22. Every coin offered, is voted for or against based on people’s willingness to purchase them.

23. I have no general obligation to the seller of the coins I purchase, to keep or not keep, to not sell them, to make them into travelers or to trade or not trade them.

24. If someone is going to make money off coins offered for sale, by reselling them on eBay it might as well be me.

Coins traded to me:

25. The sport is geocaching not geocoins.

26. I will not sell a coin traded to me. (without permission of the person who traded it to me)

27. I only trade for coins I like.

Coins I find in caches:

28. The sport is geocaching not geocoins.

29. Any coin I find that is designated as a traveler will always travel to another cache (or be left for someone else to make travel) within 7 days.

30. A coin left as a FTF or other special purpose needs to be treated the way the person who left it, wants it to be treated.

31. If I find a unactived coin with no instructions, I assume it to be a bonus prize (not that I have ever found one of these), that does not require a “like kind” replacement.

Coins I leave in caches:

32. The sport is geocaching not geocoins.

33. If it is a traveler I assume the best about fellow cachers, that they will leave it or let it travel.

34. If I leave an unactived coin in a cache it is a bonus for the finder and they should not be obligated to leave like value, but rather typical value.

35. If someone swipes a traveler, I will not dwell on it. I know that each time they look at the coin they know it is stolen loot.

36. Sometimes things just happen and coins get lost or dropped. I assume the best about fellow cachers.

The Last Rule: The sport is geocaching not geocoins.

You DO have too much time on your hands! Go caching! <_<

That's a great personal list, but I disagree with #31 as it conflicts with 20 or more geocoins I know are out there in local caches that were dropped with the expectation that they would be traded for like any other trade item. Why is a geocoin assumed to be a "bonus prize" if there's no mention of it being so? No other trade item would be.

Coins I find in caches:

31.  If I find a unactived coin with no instructions, I assume it to be a bonus prize (not that I have ever found one of these), that does not require a “like kind” replacement.

Geocaching etiquette says that you should trade even or trade up. As long as you are doing this, it is fine to trade for an unactivated geocoin. Assuming that it is a bonus prize is a bad assumtion in my opinion. If I leave an unactivated geocoin in a cache that I found, it isn't there as a bonus prize for the next finder to take without trading for.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say with this one.

--Marky

So . . . I guess I am kind of willing to reconsider this rule.

The problem, as I see it is this:

It is my guess that when people go out caching, they do not typically carry swag that has a value more more than $1-2 per item. So the sport kind of depends on what seems to be an unspoken agreement that the value of items usually found in a cache is in that range or less.

Then you come to the problem of is the value of all geocoins equal. For instance, the Georgia Peaches have been selling on E-bay for $35-50 each. If I come accross one, unactivated, would it be considered it an even trade to put in a San Francisco Copper, or maybe a USA or Canada geocoin or do I need to put in something of more value or multiple items?

I would be really interested to know what you would have done. A real life issue right now is the Indy Diver Coin that is on eBay. I am not a fan of it being sold on eBay, since this was clearly not the intent of the maker when it was put in a cache. If you had found this coin in a cache what would you have done?

The best solution of course is for the person who puts the unactivated coin in the cache to indicate what their hope is. I am afraid though that if the hope is that someone will leave another geocoin of more or less equal value, dissapointment is on the horizon.

This is not any easy question to answer.

I disagree with all the rules that say "the sport is geocaching, not geocoins."

It started with geocaching, but it has nothing to do with geocaching anymore, except in name. Put the word cache, geocache, or some derivative thereof, or the word geocoin, on a coin with just about any 'graven image,' and you have an instant collectable item sought after by many.

It's a new hobby, born of caching. It's not geocaching. It's coin collecting.

I agree with the last post that geocaching and geocoin collecting are 2 different hobbies. With that said, I agree with Nazgul and Marky that an unactivated geocoin is not a bonus prize, but a trade item that hopefully is traded evenly or up. A fair trade in my opinion is one geocoin for one geocoin, regardless of "eBay value". For instance, if an IndyDiver geocoin was found in a cache, it's "eBay value" is about $300 (so far, anyway). I don't expect the next finder to have a Waypoint15 or TeamFisur geocoin to trade for it but another geocoin would be a fine trade. I myself have passed on trading for a geocoin I've found in a cache because I didn't have any geocoins with me to replace it with. :wacko:

It is my guess that when people go out caching, they do not typically carry swag that has a value more more than $1-2 per item. So the sport kind of depends on what seems to be an unspoken agreement that the value of items usually found in a cache is in that range or less.

I always have a couple of trading geocoins in my geo-pack, and trade items valued in the $2-5 range. So I never have a problem trading for coins - or most anything else - I find.

Mauison is right, I would stick with trading a coin for a coin, or something else reasonably good for a coin, and not worry about the values on eBay or whatever. I'd not complain about any geocoin-for-geocoin swap I saw. If someone stumbles on a Moun10Bike coin in a cache, no one is going to expect them to drop a certified check for a thousand dollars in the cache. :wacko: If someone finds a rare coin in a cache, good for them!

I often hear people say they wish they would see more geocoins in caches. There have been several threads about that here. Keep the circulation of them steady, or add to it, don't just take them and leave little or nothing behind.

When I stumbled upon a Sgt. Stitches geocoin in a cache recently, I did trade two other coins for it but mostly it was a way to trade up and get more coins out there.

I always have a couple of trading geocoins in my geo-pack, and trade items valued in the $2-5 range. So I never have a problem trading for coins - or most anything else - I find.

Mauison is right, I would stick with trading a coin for a coin, or something else reasonably good for a coin, and not worry about the values on eBay or whatever. I'd not complain about any geocoin-for-geocoin swap I saw. If someone stumbles on a Moun10Bike coin in a cache, no one is going to expect them to drop a certified check for a thousand dollars in the cache. :wacko: If someone finds a rare coin in a cache, good for them!

I

I know that there are cacher's out there, like you that carry extra coins, but I suspect that you are the exception and not the norm.

I guess I am not sure how trading a USA for a Moun10Bike coin is really any better than trading a bouncy ball for a California. To me the second is really a more equitable trade.

When I think about the thread a week or so, from the guy who stumbled on two California's and wasn't really tuned into coins, I think many in the community were really hard on him, when he was really looking to do the right thing.

So . . . for me, I will still never put out an unactivated coin and EVER expect that someone is going to match value. On the otherhand, if I stumble accross an unactivated coin I will either put in a coin or two as trade (with no expectation about those coins either) or leave it. . . . but I am not willing to pound people who do it differently.

I guess I am not sure how trading a USA for a Moun10Bike coin is really any better than trading a bouncy ball for  a California.  To me the second is really a more equitable trade.

When I think about the thread a week or so, from the guy who stumbled on two California's and wasn't really tuned into coins, I think many in the community were really hard on him, when he was really looking to do the right thing.

How is one to suppose to know what is considered an equitable trade for a nonactivated or untrackable coin sitting in a cache? What about those cachers who don't visit these forums to even know that an indydiver coin is a rare find?

How is such an item in a cache any different from someones wooden nickel sig item? or elgecko's token/coin sig item.

Is a coin from a batch of 5000 worth less in cache trade than one from a batch of 200? Aren't they both coins? Aren't they roughly the same value if I tried to sell them on the street to a non-cacher?

If I drop in a Moun10bike coin can I then take everything else that is in the cache? I traded up.

I think coins, unless labelled as travellers or FTF prizes, should be considered regular, but slightly more valuable around $5, trade items.

I know that there are cacher's out there, like you that carry extra coins, but I suspect that you are the exception and not the norm.

You are probably right, although I'm certainly not alone and I'm not sure what it has to do with trading fairly for trade items.

I guess I am not sure how trading a USA for a Moun10Bike coin is really any better than trading a bouncy ball for  a California.  To me the second is really a more equitable trade.

I can understand that. I'm just saying how I do it, and how I understand that most other coin traders in our area also do it. I'm just reporting the conventional wisdom as I understand it.

Hmmmm... I just re-read that thread and I don't see anyone being hard on him. I saw a lot of posts about trading fairly and a lot of posts by me that attempted - perhaps unsuccessfully? - to politely suggest that they should trade fairly for any geocoins they decided to keep.

So . . . for me,  I will still never put out an unactivated coin and EVER expect that someone is going to match value.  On the otherhand, if I stumble accross an unactivated coin I will either put in a coin or two as trade (with no expectation about those coins either) or leave it. . . .  but I am not willing to pound people who do it differently.

I think that's a fine philosophy.

Now everyone please go back to actual geocaching. :blink:

But see Nazgul, when you're caching it's much harder to gripe about stuff. The trees and squirrels don't seem to care!

I think it was discussed on a different forum or at least a different thread. If everyone put a sticker on their coin case about trading equal or up (another coin or $5-$10 item), then those that can't figure it out on their own that a coin holds more value would then know in no uncertain terms. Don't need to cruise the forums or have common sense, it'd be written right there for them to see.

Everyone we cache with carries good swag and XTRA good swag (coins and such) with them all the time, guess we're just lucky!

It has nothing to do with being better than anybody.

It's simple: If I expect to be able to take nice things OUT of caches, I carry nice things to put INTO caches.

I always try to leave caches with something nice in them. I like finding cool things and I like to have others have the same experience.

It has nothing to do with being better than anybody.

It's simple: If I expect to be able to take nice things OUT of caches, I carry nice things to put INTO caches.

I always try to leave caches with something nice in them. I like finding cool things and I like to have others have the same experience.

Ahh . . . . come on kelia, look at the quote: " Everyone we cache with carries good swag and XTRA good swag (coins and such) with them all the time, guess we're just lucky!"

Tell me that is not a holier than thou statement. I don't disagree with the concept at all. I can't tell you how many times I have cleaned out trash and put in good stuff. I never leave a cache worse off than I find it. BUT, different people do it differently and may be more or less aware of what is appropriate.

What I hate is the idea that if you don't do it just like me, then you are not as good a cacher as I am, which is what that quote sounds like to me. I mean come on. We live in the land that prides itself on tolerance. Give people who don't do it just like you a break!

:blink: If someone places a nice coin in one of my caches and removes a junk item -- they are better than most cachers.

Okay, tolerance and all that blah, blah, blah.... :blink:

My main reason for mostly using coins in caches now is pretty simple. I don't find all that many caches and I have a LOT of coins (yipes!). AND.... they are small. I can carry a few around with me really easily. Not only that -- most people like finding them. My new log might be TNSLLC (Took Nothing, Signed Log, Left Coin).

If someone REMOVES a coin from a cache -- I think they should place something nice in the cache in return. My personal thought is that they should get something cool -- maybe some geocaching patches, something useful in the woods, that type of thing. Even if they don't have something with them -- maybe make a note and improve some other cache. I just don't like folks that take more than they give.

However, this is not a rule. It's also not a sport.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

If someone REMOVES a coin from a cache -- I think they should place something nice in the cache in return. My personal thought is that they should get something cool -- maybe some geocaching patches, something useful in the woods, that type of thing. Even if they don't have something with them -- maybe make a note and improve some other cache. I just don't like folks that take more than they give.

However, this is not a rule. It's also not a sport.

Nice is always good.

And Ya Ya Ya it is a hobby not a sport. :blink:

Where do you get off judging me SBD? My statement had nothing to do with being holier than anything. I think it is your guilt for feeling that you can take a coin as a "bonus prize" that is kicking in. Am I proud that cachers in our area respect the game and try to make it better, you're darn right I am. Why on earth would anyone spin that in a bad light????? And wouldn't we want everyone to carry good stuff to trade? (Don't know what the do it just like me part is talking about, as I didn't tell you how I did it....just that we take pride in keep caches traded equal or up.)

Edited by Hula Bum
Where do you get off judging me SBD? My statement had nothing to do with being holier than anything. I think it is your guilt for feeling that you can take a coin as a "bonus prize" that is kicking in. Am I proud that cachers in our area respect the game and try to make it better, you're darn right I am. Why on earth would anyone spin that in a bad light????? And wouldn't we want everyone to carry good stuff to trade? (Don't know what the do it just like me part is talking about, as I didn't tell you how I did it....just that we take pride in keep caches traded equal or up.)

I was trying to just tease a little, geeze you need to lighten up a little. But sorry if I offended, it was not my intent.

Southbayday

can I come out to your area and swipe I mean trade up some of this good swag you are leaving...jj

On a more personal note,(if i get flamed for this I quite caching!)

I have on occasion let my children take something from the cache without being able to trade(maybe the stuff they brought was too big for the little bitty tupperware). But I have also placed caches with PLENTY of swag and noted on the cache page that kids should be allowed to take stuff regardless. Its a friggin game and supposed to be fun. And I for one think that a 6 yr old that can hike 4 miles to find an ammo can in the woods deserves a little something for his brave attempt. Correct me if I'm wrong...and I'll stop caching(yeah right I'll just stop telling the truth about crap on the forums :)

SBD, as far as I know I can't hear these forums when I read them. I don't think that post sounded holier than thou. I don't think it reads that way either. It says to me that HulaBum feels happy to be amongst a great group of cachers who head out prepared, period. When dealing with forums, you can't see or hear people's facial expressions or tones and inflections when they are typing. You might not get the full gist of what they are trying to say. Maybe you read it in the wrong light or took it the wrong way. Let's just get back to playing nice. I like most of your rules for yourself. It sounds :) as though you put a lot of thought into it. It reads that way too.

SBD, as far as I know I can't hear these forums when I read them. I don't think that post sounded holier than thou. I don't think it reads that way either. It says to me that HulaBum feels happy to be amongst a great group of cachers who head out prepared, period. When dealing with forums, you can't see or hear people's facial expressions or tones and inflections when they are typing. You might not get the full gist of what they are trying to say. Maybe you read it in the wrong light or took it the wrong way. Let's just get back to playing nice. I like most of your rules for yourself. It sounds :) as though you put a lot of thought into it. It reads that way too.

can i quote you on this in other forums or can you just pin your post so I can refer to it...A LOT

SBD, as far as I know I can't hear these forums when I read them.  I don't think that post sounded holier than thou.  I don't think it reads that way either.  It says to me that HulaBum feels happy to be amongst a great group of cachers who head out prepared, period.  When dealing with forums, you can't see or hear people's facial expressions or tones and inflections when they are typing.  You might not get the full gist of what they are trying to say.  Maybe you read it in the wrong light or took it the wrong way.  Let's just get back to playing nice.  I like most of your rules for yourself.  It sounds :) as though you put a lot of thought into it.  It reads that way too.

can i quote you on this in other forums or can you just pin your post so I can refer to it...A LOT

You can engrave it on a coin if you want! Someone will take two. :lol::lol:

I think I appologized, but I will do it again. I put a smile there, because I was trying to make light of it.

I AM SORRY

I AM SORRY

I AM SORRY

I AM SORRY

I have on occasion let my children take something from the cache without being able to trade(maybe the stuff they brought was too big for the little bitty tupperware).  But I have also placed caches with PLENTY of swag and noted on the cache page that kids should be allowed to take stuff regardless. Its a friggin game and supposed to be fun.  And I for one think that a 6 yr old that can hike 4 miles to find an ammo can in the woods deserves a little something for his brave attempt.  Correct me if I'm wrong...and I'll stop caching(yeah right I'll just stop telling the truth about crap on the forums :)

Good grief yes, let the kid grab a toy. The parent can make up for it later, or put the toy back into another cache after the kid gets tired of it. :lol: I've done both.

Trading fairly should just be common sense. I really don't understand where the angst and hand-wringing comes from.

I'm taking a seat for this and I'm going to sit here quietly and eat my popcorn, heh. :lol:

SBD, as far as I know I can't hear these forums when I read them.  I don't think that post sounded holier than thou.  I don't think it reads that way either.  It says to me that HulaBum feels happy to be amongst a great group of cachers who head out prepared, period.  When dealing with forums, you can't see or hear people's facial expressions or tones and inflections when they are typing.  You might not get the full gist of what they are trying to say.  Maybe you read it in the wrong light or took it the wrong way.  Let's just get back to playing nice.  I like most of your rules for yourself.  It sounds :lol: as though you put a lot of thought into it.  It reads that way too.

You can engrave it on a coin if you want! Someone will take two. :lol::)

Hey! Eartha is funny, too! :)