Geo-woodstock South Carolina

DiskDevil

Perhaps a Geo-woodstock or Geo-aid event in central South Carolina where ALL cachers from the state or anyone who wanted to come could. We could discuss the future of caching in the state and form sub-groups for the different areas. If we unite we could be one of the largest influences on state government. Invite the govenor and his family for a meet and greet. We as a group could help non-profit organizations and other agencies. It may be far fetched but possible.....Your thoughts please...

I know some of us have been discussing something like this for possibly the late spring/early summer. I think it is an awesome idea. It would give cachers from the entire state to centralize for a few days.

I like the idea of Saluda Shoals. That is a great park. Plus an added bonus, is those sprinkler things for the kids to play in. <_<

Isn't one of the rangers at that park a cacher?

South Carolina couldn't host a Geowoodstock event in the same spirit of past events. We simply don't have the cache density.

The whole state of South Carolina has roughly the same number of caches as Jax has within a 35 mile radius of downtown. Nashville has even more.

Geowoodstock is "all about the numbers." I'm not sure I'd want to bring that to South Carolina.

I'd much rather any event be about the people who cache. Invite some the folks who make policy over the land we cache on. Stuff like that.

South Carolina couldn't host a Geowoodstock event in the same spirit of past events.  We simply don't have the cache density.

The whole state of South Carolina has roughly the same number of caches as Jax has within a 35 mile radius of downtown.  Nashville has even more.

Geowoodstock is "all about the numbers."  I'm not sure I'd want to bring that to South Carolina.

I'd much rather any event be about the people who cache.  Invite some the folks who make policy over the land we cache on.  Stuff like that.

((edited)) for other thoughts

Actually this was what DiskDevil kind of suggested, an event like Woodstock but not the actual event, JoGPS (the founder) posted the idea of submitting South Carolina for the offical event in 07. A lot of work would be needed from the SCGA if that is even a consideration.

I think what more DD was leading to was more of a Geocache-Aid, like he and you said, bring people from political office in, park rangers (who we have some great connections with in the Midlands area). Just bring people together from all over the state, to meet, greet, cache, and to just show a resurgence in the SCGA, which is why the spring/summer was suggested.

One point CR does make that is vaild is the cache ratio because I know this is one element they do look for in picking the host site. I know a group of cachers from Germany refered to as "The Germans" at GW3 actually broke the 24 hour record of most caches logged, all which I believe were in Jx. On a cache run I was a part of I ended up doing about 66 in a day. While "all about the numbers" is frowned upon largely in SC, there was some really useful aspects of the cache run I went one, cause some of the caches were cammoed in a way I have never seen here in SC, well there is now one that I have, but it was not just about collecting numbers, we saw a lot of really interesting and useful hiding techniques.

In the future maybe SC could try for a GW, but right now, I think we just need a state event to bring the state together.

Edited by geoholic28

South Carolina could host Geowoodstock

Because CovoteRed has never been to a Geowoodstock, don’t really think he understands the event, of exactly what “all about the numbers” mean.

I only found three cache at GW1, two at GW2, two at GW3, no one knows what it is truly about until they attend,

Geocache-Aid, is probably what the state needs right now

Joe

South Carolina could host Geowoodstock

Because CovoteRed has never been to a Geowoodstock, don’t really think he understands the event, of exactly what “all about the numbers” mean.

I only found three cache at GW1, two at GW2, two at GW3, no one knows what it is truly about until they attend,

Joe

To me "All About The Numbers" meant to me was all the new people that I got to meet. Like some of the top cachers in the US, The ever talked about Snoogans of Q. Leap fame, "The Germans", and just so many more people. If you don't want to bring to your state an event that is not just about caching but brining connections in from all over the US then I do not know what to suggest.

The first day I was there at the event (GW3) I really did not cache other then the ones they at the event had brought to log, one of which was an example of what an ammo can looks like after it has been through a controlled burn in a forest.

South Carolina in the future could be in the running for the event and would like to us try, just not for the next one. Maybe GW6 or something.

So..DiskDevil......(or should I not talk to loud right now <_< ) we could use all the area on your land to hide caches if you wanna host the SC Geo-Aid

Exactly what GH28 said is what I was thinking....

We aren't thinking of an actual woodstock, just something to bring the entire state together maybe for a weekend. We don't need a gazillion caches, people like to meet and talk and learn from each other. Something to unify us as one large group with several smaller groups for the different regions.

It would be fun too, to have caches just for the kids. Lots of us have small children that cache and love it just as much as the grown-ups. Heck my kids are better at spotting caches sometimes. So something set up for the kids would be great too. I'd be willing to help organize that since I've got 3 kids.

And of course we'd need lots of food and drinks. We went to a pretty big event in Fayettesville in the spring that was at a park. The area wasn't considered too cache dense, but we still had a great time. So maybe even something similar to that. GH28 was there with us, so he knows what I'm talking about.

We could even give mini presentations on our different areas of the state and the caches available. Many people haven't been all over the entire state of SC even though they have lived here their entire lives.

There is a lot we could do and it wouldn't be a copy of geowoodstock. It would be more like a mini geobash, sc style. :wacko:

Exactly what GH28 said is what I was thinking....

We aren't thinking of an actual woodstock, just something to bring the entire state together maybe for a weekend. We don't need a gazillion caches, people like to meet and talk and learn from each other. Something to unify us as one large group with several smaller groups for the different regions.

It would be fun too, to have caches just for the kids. Lots of us have small children that cache and love it just as much as the grown-ups. Heck my kids are better at spotting caches sometimes. So something set up for the kids would be great too. I'd be willing to help organize that since I've got 3 kids.

And of course we'd need lots of food and drinks. We went to a pretty big event in Fayettesville in the spring that was at a park. The area wasn't considered too cache dense, but we still had a great time. So maybe even something similar to that. GH28 was there with us, so he knows what I'm talking about.

We could even give mini presentations on our different areas of the state and the caches available. Many people haven't been all over the entire state of SC even though they have lived here their entire lives.

There is a lot we could do and it wouldn't be a copy of geowoodstock. It would be more like a mini geobash, sc style. :wacko:

Texas has a state event "The Texas Challenge" that brings cachers from all over the state together for a weekend event. The first three years, Texas was split into three regions, North Texas, Southeast Texas, and Central Texas. Each team would hide the same number of "tokens" the day before, and then there was a set amount of time for the competition. Whichever team found the most tokens, won the event.

At first the competition was light and fun, but as the sport/activity has grown in popularity and more and more people were participating in the event. The competition grew away from light and fun, and this past year really left a bad taste in many cachers’ mouths. The group hosting Texas Challenge '06, are "revamping" the activities, and have promised it will be a fun weekend again.

TC 06 is scheduled for the weekend of March 18, 2006. If you are interested in checking it out, come on down. There will also be plenty of "Texans" at Geowoodstock this year that you could get ideas from too.

Just food for thought :

TC 06 is scheduled for the weekend of March 18, 2006. If you are interested in checking it out, come on down. There will also be plenty of "Texans" at Geowoodstock this year that you could get ideas from too.

Just food for thought :

Get me a plane ticket and I'll be there :(

I'll draw you a map :wacko:

If you can get here, we would love to have ya

Joe

I was thinking of this...Thanks Joe for supporting the idea. Right now, I think South Carolina needs a shot in the arm. A Geo-aid or Geo-woodstock type of weekend event would be the medicine needed. I think everyone that is involved in caching knows we need a ton of support right now.......

I think this is a great idea. Yeah, I know I am in another state but I am willing to help in whatever way necessary. I could be there weeks in advance and help with things. I will drag out the other two or three m's who are in state. Maybe a "southern spring fling"? Is there anyway we can make the SCGA site an interactive site for open communication for the group at large?

The SCGA website has forums and other ways that are already interactive. I have to give CR props for what I think is a pretty darn good job on the site.

If there's stuff it needs, I'm sure CR is open. However I don't think you meant anything bad Lissie :blink:

- T of TandS

Well, how about that. That is exactly what I was talking about. Now how did I miss that? I signed up on the site after the first meeting I attended but I don't seem to be in the system? I will try it again. Of course it could just be my lack of intelligence! Now why didn’t any of my South Carolina buddies tell me I was missing something along the way? See, if I didn’t ask dumb questions I wouldn’t learn anything. Now where is that turnip truck so I can climb back on? You would think I had never visited a web site before!

I agree, DiskDevil, oh humble DiskDevil, will us to do your bidding...hehe..

OK seriously, in an earlier post Amy (Jamrasc) talked about an event her family and I attened in NC which was a huge success. The event was centered in a park that had a few caches in it, but the main focus was NOT on the actual caches in the park, it just was a fun meet-n-greet.

My favorite part was they had big poster boards set up and had your name and your picture from either your logs or profile next to your name.

They got GC.com to give them some items to raffle off, the raffled off like 2 huge ammo tubes, and everyone brought something food wise so it was a really enjoyable time.

They had events for kids, and I can not remember if they did a poker run there or not. I know it was not at this event, but something else I have done if we get enough people is geocaching bingo, like "find someone who uses there name for there GC handle", find someone who has a coin on them" find someone who has cached the farthest away from the current state your in now" stuff like that...GREAT way to meet the new people

Just my 2 cents :blink:

I signed up on the site after the first meeting I attended but I don't seem to be in the system?

What name did you sign up under? As there could have been a mistake in the email because I'm thinking you have to confirm you membership.

Try it again and email me with the details and I will make sure you get in.

Poker Run-

You have a set amount of time to locate 5 caches, if you locate all 5 you are given 5 cards upon returning, the person with the best poker hand wins.

To ensure people found the caches, an item of somekind is placed in the caches and they must bring the items back with them (like beads or something)

However no one has said this is a done deal yet, but just suggestions of activties that have been done at other successful events.

You have a set amount of time to locate 5 caches, if you locate all 5 you are given 5 cards upon returning, the person with the best poker hand wins.

To ensure people found the caches, an item of somekind is placed in the caches and they must bring the items back with them (like beads or something)

Wouldn't it be better to just put the cards in the cache?

A cache poker run I did at an event had something like six sealed envelopes in each cache box. Each envelope was numbered to correspond with the cache number.

You (or your team) simply grabbed an envelope from each cache. Upon returning to the event, the setter-upper confirmed that all the envelopes were still sealed and that you had just one envelope from each cache. When we all got together, it was a mass (and fun) envelope opening to see who'd grabbed the best hand.

Jamie

Nope, putting the cards in the cache allows for monkey business. The cards should be controlled by the hosting committee. The way GH28 describes is best, but he left out an important detail-the beads (or poker chips) need to be a unique color for each visited cache. This ensures that the players visit each of the necessary caches to get a chip/bead from each. Depending on how you wnat to play it, you can use more than 5 caches, and either have some caches that are duds, with no chips, and even have 7 caches in play for a 7 card stud hand to be dealt.

By dealing the hands from the same deck back at the event's homebase, you are assured that each player has an even and fair chance at getting the best hand. You are playing against the house, not each other.

At GW2 there were 10-11 caches in the game, but only 7 contained chips. So you tried to get to as many as you could, and got a card for each chip turned in. This set up also keeps everyone from mobbing the same caches at the same time, and makes for a more realsitic cache hunt during the poker run game.

Nope, putting the cards in the cache allows for monkey business. The cards should be controlled by the hosting committee. The way GH28 describes is best, but he left out an important detail-the beads (or poker chips) need to be a unique color for each visited cache. This ensures that the players visit each of the necessary caches to get a chip/bead from each. Depending on how you wnat to play it, you can use more than 5 caches, and either have some caches that are duds, with no chips, and even have 7 caches in play for a 7 card stud hand to be dealt.

By dealing the hands from the same deck back at the event's homebase, you are assured that each player has an even and fair chance at getting the best hand. You are playing against the house, not each other.

At GW2 there were 10-11 caches in the game, but only 7 contained chips. So you tried to get to as many as you could, and got a card for each chip turned in. This set up also keeps everyone from mobbing the same caches at the same time, and makes for a more realsitic cache hunt during the poker run game.

Thanks, I know there was something similar done at GW3 but I did not do it nor did I know all the details behind it, but I am glad you helped add some stuff that needed to be cleared up.

kg4kpg Posted on Dec 20 2005, 09:10 PM

I'll be making touchdown in Goose Creek tomorrow after a long journey home from Iraq. Don't know much about Geo-woodstock but I do have several caches bookmarked to find

KG4KPG

Welcome back to the USA and South Carolina! Thank You for your service to our country! I look forward to meeting you at a or "THE" SC Geocaching event in the near future.

Cheers

MSwahoo

Hi, my husband and I jsut started caching in the Aiken area, we had no idea of any pending bills but would be glad to help in any way we can. Being new we'd also love to meet other cachers, so a get together like you are talking about sounds great! I"ll keep checking in here for more info!

Brae of UO Trackers

I'm not in SC but I've been watching events closely. In fact, my husband was asking what the status was on the pending bill just yesterday.

Anyway, perhaps an event similar to what we have in Md---CAM (cache across Maryland). The state is divided into several areas with a local cacher in each area placing a cache. Each cache is assigned a letter. In each cache is a number. All participating cachers sign up via email to the coordinator. On a set day, the coordinates of the caches are emailed to the participants who have 1 month to find all the caches. Sometimes during the last week the coordinates of the CAM picnic are sent out in the formate of AH.CD.GEE W 0BD.FI.AGA It's a great way to see the state and a great way to meet cachers from across the state. Inviting legislators to this and letting them hear about the places where local cachers brought their fellow cachers and what impressed cachers the most might be useful.

Good luck and we hope to be caching in SC soon.

terri

I'm not in SC but I've been watching events closely. In fact, my husband was asking what the status was on the pending bill just yesterday.

Anyway, perhaps an event similar to what we have in Md---CAM (cache across Maryland). The state is divided into several areas with a local cacher in each area placing a cache. Each cache is assigned a letter. In each cache is a number. All participating cachers sign up via email to the coordinator. On a set day, the coordinates of the caches are emailed to the participants who have 1 month to find all the caches. Sometimes during the last week the coordinates of the CAM picnic are sent out in the formate of AH.CD.GEE W 0BD.FI.AGA It's a great way to see the state and a great way to meet cachers from across the state. Inviting legislators to this and letting them hear about the places where local cachers brought their fellow cachers and what impressed cachers the most might be useful.

terri

Could you send me an example of how you set up an event page? or was there one for the final gathering at the end of the month.

I would love to do something like this, just would depend on if all areas of the state would be willing to help support such a large untaking. I know some areas are better formed then others, and some areas are considering starting to hold monthly meet-n-greets so who knows what the spring/summer might hold for such an event.

I would love to see the state unite as one solid group again, just going to take some time if there are enough of us who feel the same way.

Thanks for a wonderful idea

Sorry I didn't get back to you. CAM works by cachers in several counties setting up a CAM cache. They are volunteers and these caches are not published on geocaching.com immediately. While volunteers are figuring out exactly where to place their cache, on the mdgps.org there is a sign-up for CAM. All interested cachers must sign-up to participate in CAM. On a set day, the cache located are emailed to those cachers participating. Cachers have 1 month to locate all the caches. During the last week, the code to find the event is set. At the event, all CAM participants that completed all the caches meet for a picnic. One event for all cachers. If you want more detailed info, just go on over to the website for Md and I'm positive you will get all the help you need. We're already talking about this year's CAM. Last year, we couldn't do it but this year we have an rv and ready to travel all around Md.

Terri

terri

Could you send me an example of how you set up an event page? or was there one for the final gathering at the end of the month.

I would love to do something like this, just would depend on if all areas of the state would be willing to help support such a large untaking. I know some areas are better formed then others, and some areas are considering starting to hold monthly meet-n-greets so who knows what the spring/summer might hold for such an event.

I would love to see the state unite as one solid group again, just going to take some time if there are enough of us who feel the same way.

Thanks for a wonderful idea