New Rules

tozainamboku

Several recent threads have convinced me that rules for geocaching as given in the FAQ are probably the cause of most of the discussion.

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

First of all with all the log only micros around, 1 and 2 seem to no longer apply. 3 doesn't apply to virtuals and in the case of some micros there's barely enough room to write your name. These rules also say nothing about logging online. From this I surmise that logging online is purely optional. Here are my proposed new rules:

Proposed Rules

1. If you find the cache you should sign the log book. (See 3a. below for an explaination)

2. There may be trade items in the cache. If so, you may take an item, but if you do you should leave an item in trade. It is considered good practice to trade an item of equal or greater value to the one you took. Deciding on the value of the items is up to you. Hitchkers and Travel Bugs are items that want to be taken from cache to cache. There is disagreement as to whether or not a trade is required when you take or leave one of them. (See 4. below)

3. After you return home, or while still in the field if you have wireless access or a WAP enabled cell phone, you may log your experience online.

3a. If you found the cache you may log it as found. Note that the cache owner is responsible for maintaining the integrity of logs and as such may have their own requirements for logging a find online. Some cache owners require that you signed the physical log book. Some cache owners may allow multiple 'found it' logs, if certain requirements are met - but this practice is frowned upon by some "purists".

3b. If you did not find the cache you may log a 'Did Not Find' (DNF). This allows you to describe your adventure and may let the cache owner know that there might be a problem with the cache or just that the cache is harder to find. You may log a DNF even if you intend to return to search some more.

3c. If you find that cache placement is in violation of the placement guidelines or in violation of local laws or regulations, you may log a 'Should Be Archived' (SBA). This log tells the cache owner and the volunteer cache reviewers that there is a problem with the cache that needs to be dealt with. SBA logs can also be used if the cache owner appears to not be meeting their responsibilities to maintain a cache. In this case, you should attempt to contact the cache owner via email before logging SBA.

3d. You may log a Note. One common use for a note is if you revisit a cache that you previously found. You could log 'found it' again, but that is frowned upon by the "purists".

4. Hitchikers/Travel Bugs - Some items in the cache may be hitchikers or travel bug. These items want to be taken from cache to cache often with some goal such as visting another city or country. There is disagreement as to whether hitchikers/travel-bugs are trade items. If you take a hitchiker/travel bug you should try to move it according to its goal. If the travel bug has an official geocaching.com tracking number you should go to the travel bug page on geocaching.com to log that you took the bug from the cache (you will need the tracking number). When you leave the bug in another cache you should remember to drop it there when you log the cache online. Other hitchikers and travel bugs may have there own tracking website.

These are good rules but I object to the use of the term "purist." The correct term is "Puritans."

Thank you.

puritans_engraving.jpg

As you can see, we "Puritans" never allow our womenfolk to cache alone, we provide protection for the entire caching party by bearing rifles and other scary firearms, and we make Granny lag behind and hunt for the cache in the poison ivy, as our young skins are often too sensitive to the devil's oils, while we scout on ahead for the next cache. And we never post a smiley twice, because this would require the internet, and it just didn't exist in its present form during the 1600's.

-Hugh "Puritannical" Jazz

3c. If you find that cache placement is in violation of the placement guidelines or in violation of local laws or regulations, you may log a 'Should Be Archived' (SBA).

Man that's a lot of words.

NO MORE RULES!

And you have the rule I quoted wrong. You don't click SBA until after you've made attempts to contact the owner.

Goody Hugh Jazz has sold his geocaching soul to the devil and I've heard Mrs. Jazz speak of witchery. :)

:D

BURN THEM! BURN THEM! BURN THEM! BURN THEM! BURN THEM! BURN THEM! BURN THEM! BURN THEM!

Oh, forget it. Just another day in the forums.... :D:):):o:):D

Edited by Snoogans
3d. You may log a Note. One common use for a note is if you revisit a cache that you previously found. You could log 'found it' again, but that is frowned upon by the "purists".

Don't listen to those "purists", They are only interested in partying, trust me.

Where do I sign up for the purist party?

Funny you should ask, I've been thinking about starting a local chapter. woohoo!

Hey, what do we do about this section of the FAQ?

Are there any variations in the game?

YES! We strongly encourage it, actually. Geocaching is a game that constantly reinvents itself, and the rules are very flexible.

(Emphasis added)

(edited for quote clarity)

Edited by jackratt
There is disagreement as to whether or not a trade is required when you take or leave one of them

This is a "fundamental misunderstanding" of travel bugs.

I am quoting someone who I consider an authority, here is a link to the particular thread where this is discussed. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=113128

The thread is clear, there doesn't seem to be any disagreement, well maybe the OP (read it you will see) <_<

Some cache owners may allow multiple 'found it' logs, if certain requirements are met

In the area that I cache in there are several caches that allow multiple logs, we have Leap Frog and Stash n Dash, both are moving caches We also have the a unique benchmark geocache called The Brass Cap Cache. Each is a unique cache and almost every local cacher has multiple logs on all three, that is why guidelines are so much better, moving caches still exist and they really are found anew every time. The Brass Cap Cache has a page where the total number of logs on that cache are tracked, it is a mini competition in itself.

There are many geocachers who I consider authorities on the "general parameters of the game". It is very rare to see them disagree on these general parameters. Most of the geocachers who I consider authorities seem to be Charter Members. I live near an area that is blessed with a brilliant and innovative Charter Member.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS POST GOT HERE I HAVE NOT EVEN VISITED THIS FORUM BEFORE. Rules are needed for a cilvilized society. These rules are simply clarification of the already exsiting ones. If we have no rules then we fall into anarchy. Angst is quite an apropriate word to discribe these forums, everyone attacking everyone else. We all should just get along.

Edited by RebelJedi

I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS POST GOT HERE I HAVE NOT EVEN VISITED THIS FORUM BEFORE. Rules are needed for a cilvilized society. These rules are simply clarification of the already exsiting ones. If we have no rules then we fall into anarchy. Angst is quite an apropriate word to discribe these forums, everyone attacking everyone else. We all should just get along.

Edited by RebelJedi
Proposed Rules

1. If you find the cache you should sign the log book. (See 3a. below for an explaination)

2. There may be trade items in the cache. If so, you may take an item, but if you do you should leave an item in trade. It is considered good practice to trade an item of equal or greater value to the one you took. Deciding on the value of the items is up to you. Hitchkers and Travel Bugs are items that want to be taken from cache to cache. There is disagreement as to whether or not a trade is required when you take or leave one of them. (See 4. below)

3. After you return home, or while still in the field if you have wireless access or a WAP enabled cell phone, you may log your experience online.

3a. If you found the cache you may log it as found. Note that the cache owner is responsible for maintaining the integrity of logs and as such may have their own requirements for logging a find online. Some cache owners require that you signed the physical log book. Some cache owners may allow multiple 'found it' logs, if certain requirements are met - but this practice is frowned upon by some "purists".

3b. If you did not find the cache you may log a 'Did Not Find' (DNF). This allows you to describe your adventure and may let the cache owner know that there might be a problem with the cache or just that the cache is harder to find. You may log a DNF even if you intend to return to search some more.

3c. If you find that cache placement is in violation of the placement guidelines or in violation of local laws or regulations, you may log a 'Should Be Archived' (SBA). This log tells the cache owner and the volunteer cache reviewers that there is a problem with the cache that needs to be dealt with. SBA logs can also be used if the cache owner appears to not be meeting their responsibilities to maintain a cache. In this case, you should attempt to contact the cache owner via email before logging SBA.

4. Hitchikers/Travel Bugs - Some items in the cache may be hitchikers or travel bug. These items want to be taken from cache to cache often with some goal such as visting another city or country. There is disagreement as to whether hitchikers/travel-bugs are trade items. If you take a hitchiker/travel bug you should try to move it according to its goal. If the travel bug has an official geocaching.com tracking number you should go to the travel bug page on geocaching.com to log that you took the bug from the cache (you will need the tracking number). When you leave the bug in another cache you should remember to drop it there when you log the cache online. Other hitchikers and travel bugs may have there own tracking website.

You forgot a few.

5. When placing caches, you must maintain a 3:1 ratio of micros and full size caches. This will help avoid arguments in the forums. We'll leave it up to each individual cacher to decide which should be 3 and which should be 1.

6. Only geocachers who have previous Travel Bug experience may handle Travel Bugs. The avoids the loss of "Personal Property" that has been left in the woods.

6a. If you have never handled a Travel Bug before, then you must log at least 25,000 caches as found before being considered responsible enough to handle Travel Bugs.

That's about all I can think of for now....

These rules are simply clarification of the already exsiting ones. If we have no rules then we fall into anarchy.

My Mama used to say "Follow the the Golden Rule." Then there was something about 10 more commandments. Then there was classroom rules and the Pledge of Allegiance, the Boy Scout Laws, driving regulations, high school guide books, the uniform code of military justice, marriage vows... ad infinitum.

Mama was right.

I think we should have badges.

After 500 finds, and completing a test of the rules, you get a shiny metal badge to wear on your jacket that says that you are an official geocacher. This way, anyone else who sees you will immediately have to respect you. Law enforcement will see the badge and immediately back off because they will recognize that your are on 'official' business and not a child molester or tree bomber. Oh and the badge will come with five free travelbug tags, a doggie bandana, and a limited edition "signal the frog" geocoin. Badges will be presented to all qualifiers at a quarterly ceremony to be held in the little switchback by the original stash tribute plaque up in Portland OR.

After 500 finds, and completing a test of the rules, you get a shiny metal badge to wear on your jacket that says that you are an official geocacher. This way, anyone else who sees you will immediately have to respect you. Law enforcement will see the badge and immediately back off because they will recognize that your are on 'official' business and not a child molester or tree bomber. Oh and the badge will come with five free travelbug tags, a doggie bandana, and a limited edition "signal the frog" geocoin. Badges will be presented to all qualifiers at a quarterly ceremony to be held in the little switchback by the original stash tribute plaque up in Portland OR.

Is that 500 finds from now, or from when we started? :wacko:

After 500 finds, and completing a test of the rules, you get a shiny metal badge to wear on your jacket that says that you are an official geocacher.  This way, anyone else who sees you will immediately have to respect you.  Law enforcement will see the badge and immediately back off because they will recognize that your are on 'official' business and not a child molester or tree bomber.  Oh and the badge will come with five free travelbug tags, a doggie bandana, and a limited edition "signal the frog" geocoin.  Badges will be presented to all qualifiers at a quarterly ceremony to be held in the little switchback by the original stash tribute plaque up in Portland OR.

Is that 500 finds from now, or from when we started? :wacko:

to reach my 500 finds, can I count each find a bunch of times? :(

New Rules, to help avoid angst

Argh.... :):)

No New Rules. :wacko:

No matter how you slice it new rules will create new angst because someone forgot a small detail that irritates the heck out of somebody else. By the time all the rules and ammendments are in place, you'll need storage space as large as the Library of Congress to hold it.

Keep It Simple. :(

Oh and the badge will come with five free travelbug tags, a doggie bandana, and a limited edition "signal the frog" geocoin.

Can you please post the tracking number of the coin someplace? I need the icon for my collection, and I don't want to go out and hunt down an actual coin. :wacko:

Just cut and paste this one ---> :(

The next generation in icon grabbing will involve screen shots, jump in at the beginning!

jamie

give me the old rules. the new ones are the same, only wordy.

i would prefer that we, the geocaching community, continue to utilize and follow the existing rules as much as we are able and according to common practice and common sense. the new rules as propose appear to be very similar in nature to the exisiting trio of rules, except there seems to be an excess of verbiage with an apparent attempt at clafifying them.

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

Okay you had to know that someone was going to quote this.

• log your find
  • leave something if you want to
  • take something if you left something (leave better than you take)

is the way I word my "You Found It!" notes these days, to emphasize the log over trading...everything else is (unnecessary?) refinement

jamie

Edited by NFA
or we could try these rules

1. play the game the way you want to, if you don't offend anyone else in the community try harder.

2. see rule 1

Bwmick 

:)  :)

Could you please clarify your meaning of the phrase 'try harder'? :)

Do you mean to say that one should try harder to play the sport the way one chooses to, or that one should try harder to offend other members of the community? :):wacko::(