Pdf Printouts

Mustcache

can signal be put back on the page somewhere? yes the backgrounds were a bit much, but you could still put him on the 'main page' somewhere.

his face could even change in accordance with # of logs.

how about an option for printing more than 10 log on the page.

i also do not see the purpose of that '2nd note page'. there is plenty of room in the hint area--this could also change size in accordance with its contents, allowing more room for logs.

I had a look at this today, as I was printing off a cache sheet.

On this cache, the cache owner has added a background image "the old way", and it doesn't come out well on the PDF version - is this something that can be fixed?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...numlogs=0&lt=a4

I'd also like to add a vote of support for a standard A4 (or Letter) printout of the cache, rather than the folded sheet solution that is there at the moment - I don't keep the printouts once I've found the cache, so I'm not sure why it's formatted to go into a folder.

Otherwise a really nice feature - thanks!

Simon

I don't keep the printouts once I've found the cache, so I'm not sure why it's formatted to go into a folder.

Ditto

Presumably with the logs, if you choose to print them out and write in the entries, this could form a Geocaching Geojournal to keep for posterity. I'm sure some people would like to do that. Would be a fun project with kids.

I don't keep the printouts once I've found the cache, so I'm not sure why it's formatted to go into a folder.

Ditto

Presumably with the logs, if you choose to print them out and write in the entries, this could form a Geocaching Geojournal to keep for posterity. I'm sure some people would like to do that. Would be a fun project with kids.

Theoretically possible. Question is, of the millions of geocachers, how many will really do that?

I've got a few specific and general comments. One, the "notes" page seems to always have holes on the left regardless of the number of pages. If the notes page is on an odd page, it works ok, but if the notes page falls on an even page it should have holes on right so it prints fine. If you really want the notes pages to be on a page by itself each time, then you need to finish the odd pages with a black page or something. This is what the guy with the upside down notes page was demonstrating to us. Print and fold the link to WWP below to see what I mean. In addition, why 4 comment boxes instead of just one or two longer ones?

Two, HTML code is showing up in weird places and multiple TBs don't appear properly. For example on Woodway Witch Project, the two TBs print like "One-Thousand Dollar Bill California Raisin "Boom Box"" There needs to be some seperator between the names and the escaped characters need to be fixed.

Three, can the top matter be left off subsequent pages? Do we really need to see the Difficulty, Terrain, Date, Size, Attributes and TB list on pages 2, 3, or more? Remove this stuff on secondary pages and you'll have a lot more room for long cache descriptions and log notes. That 18 page one someone linked to earlier might only be a dozen pages if you use all of the page instead of 2/3 of a page each time.

Four, the mystery cache icon prints with a black image background which looks bad on the PDF pages, but the others I've checked look fine.

Five, if this is really going to be used for a small binder, should the cache name be moved to the fold margin so it will be visible as people thumb through the cache notebooks?

It sure is hard to make us all happy isn't it? I just printed off a pdf format and had to come here to find what happened to the binder style. I really like that format, even had a binder that they fit in with it's own little 3 hole punch. Would love the option of either size. Put it down as my Christmas wish.

edited for spelling (no news to those who know me)

Edited by SgtSue

1. Binder format or at lest that as a choice

2. Ability to print with hint decoded or not

3. Love the clarity of how the Difficulty / Terrain / date hidden / size/ attributes / TB list at the top please don’t lose that.

Off to no computer land for awhile - Thanks and have a Happy Holiday Season.

Ok.. so, how about a top 3 things you would like to see in a pdf print out.

-Raine

1) Binder style option available like you had originally.

2) Ditch the notes page or at least get the hole alignment thing resolved.

3) Keep the top matter on the first page only. It isn't needed at the top of every single page.

I saw the feature last week and decided to print out a bunch of sheets to go caching. I thought it was a great idea at first.

2 complaints:

I would like to see the map on the logsheets. I understand you are trying to keep the file size down to a minimum, but sometimes the maps really help to out if you are caching out of state and have no idea of where you are.

Not sure if it was just me, but I could not get the sheet to print out a decrypted hint. Some of the hints I had to decrypt by hand were quite long and tedious. I decrypted them first, downloaded the PDF and it was still encrypted.

Other than that, I like the layout for putting notes, but there is something about the original 1 page cache log sheet that still appeals to me. Maybe this will grow on me, but I doubt it.

Like the PDF for the most part. Like others, I think the choice of having the hint encrypted or decrypted would be helpful. That would make it consistent with the current encrypt/decrypt choice and lots of hints are very long and are a nuisance to decode on the trail on a cold northern winter day.

Not sure about the not page either. Its not something I would use.

JDandDD

I really like the .pdf feature! Thanks!

I would like to see the following:

1. Binder style option (that was really cool)

2. Map (coarse resolution showing general area, shown on webpage)

3. Small notes section (smaller than previous version)

Its understandable you won't please everyone, but this would be my xmas wish list for the .pdf's.

The user profile has information for time zone, how about adding an option for paper size there, too. And just to remind you of a thing you already of course know: 3-ring binders are used only in places where there is also letter-sized paper. That's less than 5% of the planet's population, I think... :lol:

The user profile has information for time zone, how about adding an option for paper size there, too. And just to remind you of a thing you already of course know: 3-ring binders are used only in places where there is also letter-sized paper. That's less than 5% of the planet's population, I think... :lol:

So.. only the US uses three ring binders?

:lol:

I just hit the pdf w/5 logs then without logs, and it's two pages, when one page is more than enough?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0b-c16634c8e5ed

Could you add the last style back in as another option? I really liked it more.

The hint section will always start on the second page unless the cache description rolls over then it will on what ever page follows the last page of the cache description.

If you don't need to print the page, you can always just select the page you want to print and just print that one page.

Just saw the changes and the decrypt is working. That's great. The first time I tried it I couldn't get the decrypted hint regardless of the state of the page so happy with the change.

One minor bug I noticed just now when I tried it: There is a cache GCNCVJ COG Series 7: "BULLETPROOF" Road. In the PDF the "s show up as "

With my luck you'll have fixed that before I post. :lol:

The pdf output is another great idea by the folks who run the site. Thanks!

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

So.. only the US uses three ring binders?

Probably. Almost everywhere else they use 2-ring binders..

I suggest leaving the hole diagrams off. Just give enough margin and the world will be able to cope.

When I click on the PDF link it opens Adobe PhotoShop program and not Adobe Reader. On other sites the Reader opens .pdf files with no problem.

Any ideas?

Perhaps the file extension .pdf has become associated with Photoshop instead of Adobe Reader on your computer? Not sure if the following will fix it, but you may want to give it a look. Assuming WinXP. Open My Computer, then go to Tools > Folder Options. Click the File Types tab then scroll down to PDF. See if it says "Opens with: Adobe Reader" at the bottom of the box. If not, hit the Change button and choose Adobe Reader.

When I click on the PDF link it opens Adobe PhotoShop program and not Adobe Reader.  On other sites the Reader opens .pdf files with no problem.

Any ideas?

Perhaps the file extension .pdf has become associated with Photoshop instead of Adobe Reader on your computer? Not sure if the following will fix it, but you may want to give it a look. Assuming WinXP. Open My Computer, then go to Tools > Folder Options. Click the File Types tab then scroll down to PDF. See if it says "Opens with: Adobe Reader" at the bottom of the box. If not, hit the Change button and choose Adobe Reader.

Perhaps... but the browser SHOULD be using the Mime-Type, not the file extension. (I know... IE is BROKEN when it comes to this but one can always hope).

When I click on the PDF link it opens Adobe PhotoShop program and not Adobe Reader.  On other sites the Reader opens .pdf files with no problem.

Any ideas?

Yeah, that gets the Reader to open in a new window. It's not opening in the browser like it does on other sites, it opens in a new window, but no prob, that works great. Thanks a lot.

:D

I just hit the pdf w/5 logs then without logs, and it's two pages, when one page is more than enough?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0b-c16634c8e5ed

Could you add the last style back in as another option? I really liked it more.

The hint section will always start on the second page unless the cache description rolls over then it will on what ever page follows the last page of the cache description.

If you don't need to print the page, you can always just select the page you want to print and just print that one page.

What I was saying is that one page was enough for everything, I printed out another cache page last night, and only the top 1/3rd of the page was used. Is it possible to bring the last set up, of page pages reduced in size, side by side and on one page? I'm not asking to replace the current one, just have it as an option when we only need a single sheet. ;)

The PDF printable has become my choice for info in the field. I like the large waypoint in the upper right. I have no printing issues Mac OSX using 'Preview' by default. It works great. Much cleaner than the 'Make Printer Friendly' version.

What I'd like to see might give you a fit. Id like to see multiple waypoints to be selected as an itinerary. For example, as you see that you may check off multiple waypoints for .loc downloads, I think it would rock to download, in order of occurance, the names , waypoints and coords to one ( or many paged ) .pdf file.

Just a little something to keep you up at night

;)

Thanks for the great work, and Happy Holidays to all!

A thought about a feature for the PDF pages and maybe the site pages in general. Would it be possible to put the date of the last find time the cache was found on the top page? Kind of like how GSAK does it and then to think of it a similar code showing dnf and found for the last few logs at the top?

Really like the PDF and they are very good while on the hunt. Great Job!!

JDandDD

I printed a bunch of cache pdf files for the Bellingham Cache Machine and have a feature request. Only the first page has identification headers on it, so the second and subsequent pages can't be identified if the pages get out of order. This is important when the drivers for an unnamed Microsoft operating system garbage up a page and one has to go back and reprint some of them. Having at least a small header with the waypoint would be very nice, even when printed two-sided with only two pages. The new layouts are great!

Nudecacher

The PDF is set to the current state of the page. So if you click on the "Decrypt" link that is on the page it will also set the PDF to be decrypted.

In other words. If the hint on the page is decrypted, then the PDF is decrypted as well.

-Raine

Thanks for your work on the PDF formats. After reading all of the postings, it appears to be an impossible task to please everyone :anicute:

One thing I need some help on is that I am still not getting the hints decripted in the PDF format, even if I decrypt them first. When I was on vacation and was using a MAC, the hints stayed decryped. However, back home with my PC's, they don't stay decrypted. Any solution?

Terrier

The PDF is set to the current state of the page. So if you click on the "Decrypt" link that is on the page it will also set the PDF to be decrypted.

In other words. If the hint on the page is decrypted, then the PDF is decrypted as well.

-Raine

One thing I need some help on is that I am still not getting the hints decripted in the PDF format, even if I decrypt them first. When I was on vacation and was using a MAC, the hints stayed decryped. However, back home with my PC's, they don't stay decrypted. Any solution?

This is not working for me either. I decrypt first, then save or open the pdf and the hint is still encrypted.

I use Internet Explorer.

Any help for this?

Edited by Crusso