Pdf Printouts

Mustcache

I noticed something. If you hit the link for decrypting the hint on the cache's page, then go to the Print Friendly version, the hint is decrypted. But if you hit the decrypt link, then open the PDF version of the cache page, the hint is still encrypted. Not sure if that was by design. Storage of both encrypted and decrypted versions of cache PDFs on Groundspeak's servers could be too much. The PDF for one of my caches was 940K when I downloaded it. Otherwise, I like how everything's laid out on the page, along with the option to display 0, 5, or 10 logs. Those "Geocaching Adventure Logs" on the final page will make for nice emergency logsheets when you come across a cache in distress.

Right clicking "Save File As...." works fine in Internet Explorer, but not Firefox.

With Firefox it saves the extention as .aspx

Might not be much you can do about that, could just be a Firefox issue.

I'll be printing a few for my next caching day out.

Ugh.. long descriptions!

I'll work on that.  As far as margins go.. try printing it out.  I've printed it out on two printers here at work and its done just fine.  It just looks close on the PDF itself.  Let me know.

-Raine

When printing a cache, on the first page, the margin is on the left and on the second page, the margin is on the right. :)

As for the PDF idea, this is awesome

Edited by Nomade
Of course A4 is longer the US Letter so the output would not print on printers with US Letter size ;)

So leaving it at Letter size should work for all ;)

Well, no. A4 (210 mm x 297 mm) is narrower than US letter (8.5 inches x 11 inches), so letter-size pages are truncated on the right when printed on A4 paper (unless you select the shrink-to-fit option.)

In my products, we have to provide separate support for printing in letter size and in A4 size.

I printed out the .pdf for one of my own caches, and I'm baffled. How is this supposed to be folded? If I fold along the "fold" line with the first page facing up, the second page is now on the inside and the third page is on the second sheet. To read page four, I have to go back to the first sheet. Seems to me the punch holes should be in the middle of the paper, so the sheets open somewhat like a book. Now the sheets have to fold out.

Also, the decryption key is printed twice, once on each page.

This looks like a promising feature, even if I don't plan to use it very much... but for the life of me I can't figure out how it's supposed to be laid out.

Jamie

I can't read mine - there is a big gray frog on the pages

cc\

I had the same thing happen in Evince on Linux (giant Signal head in the center of the page blocks the text), while in Preview in OSX, the Signal on the last few pages turns into a large, grey box. On the official Adobe reader, it displays fine.

I would suggest removing the background frog images (all of them). They bloat the file enormously. I edited the file with Adobe Acrobat to remove these and the file went from being 1 meg to 147k.

I also don't see the use for the last page. Even if there is some sort of compelling reason, I'd would rather NOT have that page attached to each cache page. There is enough room on the first page (e.g. the hint area) for notes.

Edited by Hynr
I would suggest removing the background frog images (all of them). They bloat the file enormously. I edited the file with Adobe Acrobat to remove these and the file went from being 1 meg to 147k.

I also don't see the use for the last page. Even if there is some sort of compelling reason, I'd would rather NOT have that page attached to each cache page. There is enough room on the first page (e.g. the hint area) for notes.

Well, considering that Groundspeak have to add additional pages anyway (longer descriptions), it would be a compromise to add this last page only if the other pages with the description add to an odd number; thus, the last page of a doublesided printout would not be blank but somehow preformatted.

Oh, and I second the opinion that the background pics should be removed.

BalkanSabranje

Edited by BalkanSabranje

Some comments:

The PDF file converts a quote (") into a code (&quot).

Also, codes like <br> show up in the HTML-parts of the page.

Pictures either do not show up on the PDF or they become truncated.

I tried this for my cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCQF45

Suggestion: remove the option 'PDF printout' from the print-friendly page. It takes up space, and by switching to the print-friendly page I'm trying to only get the necessary information out of my printer.

Question: why would I prefer a PDF printout over a normal cache printout?

One important issue: The title got corrupt if Umlauts and other symbols are being used in the name of the cache

"Burgen & Schlösser #4 - Rolandsbogen" translates to

Burgen & Schl& # 246;sser - Rolandsbogen

And, what a amount of data is created!!! 2,5Mbyte for a simple cache page w logs! perhaps thats the explanation for the PM-feature: So that the traffic is not too high <_<

Edited by DocW
I can't read  mine - there is a big gray frog on the pages

cc\

I assume you have a PDF reader installed e.g Adobe Acrobat Reader?

LOl..frog..I thought you said fog..muhaha . Poor old Signal.

In terms of folding these, I assume that they should get folded "down" so that Signal's butt is on the flipside. Maybe glue or staple the sheet in this fashion..or I assume print double sided so that the log/note sheets are on the inside when it is folded like this.

I quite like them, I still think that the GSAK "condensed html" output is the best solution for the quick prints before you go out..I use Cachemate but still print out the planned caches so that other people can read the sheets..the Palm is there for any unexpected diversions.

Yeh, the file sizes should be reduced.

Edited by Maingray
Oh, and I second the opinion that the background pics should be removed.

I third this suggestion. Here's what it looks like on my computer, on which I don't use the official, bloated Adobe Reader software (as mentioned in my post above). I thought it was kinda funny to find a huge, smiling Signal face blocking my view of the data, but it makes the printout useless.

779d8e80-5035-4cf8-97cb-0abb63e973aa.jpg

Well.. by not using the "bloated" reader the alpha transparency gets ignored.. sounds like an issue with you reader though. I've added it to my list of things to do...

-Raine

Most likely it is. I just don't like the Adobe software because it's huge (about 100 MB when installed just to view files), plus it's slower. But the Signal graphics on the last page (I didn't include them in the screenshot) are transparent and display perfectly well, so there could be something different about the two graphics.

This should help in the folding department

As far as double sided.. try flipping the paper and putting it back in to your printer.. You don't have to print two pieces of paper and staple them together.. just use one!

(these forums are almost unusable..took me 5 goes before I didnt timeout)

Yeh, I know that... I just couldn't be bothered to print on two sides . Even if I had, the hole punches just won't match up on either side unless the logsheet part is printed upside down compared to the front.

Or are the logsheets just meant to be a completely separate thang :wacko: ?

Edited by Maingray
This should help in the folding department

As far as double sided.. try flipping the paper and putting it back in to your printer.. You don't have to print two pieces of paper and staple them together.. just use one!

Thanks for the image... it confirmed that I'm folding the sheet the right way (as if there are any other ways...), but I still don't understand how it's supposed to be viewed. If I fold it as shown and then put it in a binder, page one of the cache page is on the front, as expected. But page two is now on the inside of that fold, so I have to unfold and flip the page in order to read page two. Page three is on the front of the next paper. To read page four I'd have to re-fold the first sheet again and then to get page five I have to un-fold it one more time.

It just seems all out of order to me. As it is, I don't use cache printouts very often, so this is a minor issue to me, but since the feature was offered I thought I'd give it a try.

And I already have a two-sided printer, so there's no issue there.

Jamie

Well.. by not using the "bloated" reader the alpha transparency gets ignored.. sounds like an issue with you reader though. I've added it to my list of things to do...

-Raine

well that is just exactly as it looked on my system with the bloated reader!

not a background image at all - it is a frontground image

cc\